the communion of the faithful in the extraordinary form
  • Does the communion of the faithful in the extraordinary form still involve the saying of the confiteor, the absolution, and the three-fold Domine Non Sum Dignus?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    My understanding is that the second confiteor and absolution was suppressed with the Missal of 1962. The priest does recite the Domine, non sum dignus himself three times, and then it is repeated later by the people before receiving communion. (At least, this has been the case for the TLM's I've attended here in the Detroit area.)
  • marajoymarajoy
    At my church in SE Michigan (we've only done the EF a few times,) the people say the three-fold "Domine non" right before communion, but I honestly can't remember if the confiteor or absolution is involved (I'm usually rustling through my papers at that point making sure I have the music for all the communion stuff and making sure I know exactly when I can start it!)
  • Only the three-fold Domine, non sum dignus is said.
  • My understanding is like David Andrew's, that the Confiteor before Communion was suppressed in the 1962 Missal. My experience is that it is used in many places, and not in others.
  • Chrism
    The Ecce Agnus and people's 3x Domine Non Sum are always done.

During the ascendancy of Bugnini in the early 1960s, just before the cutoff year of 1962, Rome suppressed the Confiteor, Misereatur and Indulgentiam which immediately precede the Ecce Agnus at Mass. (At the people's Communion outside of Mass, these are retained.)

The Confiteor, etc., are still said at Mass more often than not, but sometimes omitted. Sometimes there is a terribly awkward moment when the servers say the Confiteor and Father refuses to absolve them.

PCED tolerates the retention, and I am told that both the FSSP and the SSPX have a practice of following the custom in place when they arrive to take over an apostolate.
  • BruceL
    ICRSS also does second confiteor.
  • Thank you!