Easy-to-learn settings of the Requiem Mass
  • Imperator
    What would you guys and gals recommend as easy-to-learn but still noble polyphonic settings of the Requiem Mass (Latin, 3 voices, all-male adult schola)?
  • I do not know any off the top of my head.

I am sorry!

JVN
  • Andrew
    Pietro Yon's Requiem was very popular years ago -- before Vatican II -- at parish requiem masses.

J. Fischer (New York) published it.
  • I am partial to Pierre de la Rue's Requiem as well as Francisco Guerrero's Requiems as well as Joan Cererol's which was meant to be sung by the ordinary monks of the Escolania de Montserrat, a Benedictine Monastery in Spain. They are are moving as suitable for worship? Would there be too complex to implement into the repertoire of a simple church choir?
  • Darcy
    I recently got a copy of the Requiem Aeternam introit by Giovannia Battista Martini, arr. Gary Penkala from CanticaNova. It is pretty and simple, three parts, with verses set in chant to both Latin and English.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I just wanted to say that this strikes me as an exceedingly beautiful performance (completely lacking the top-heavy balance problems the group sometimes has) and I really like the way one can see the score as one listens. Bravo to the one who put this together. Thanks to the work of the CMAA, I am sure that it will not be too long before all our church choirs sound like this group (I hope and pray for this!):

Tallis Scholars sing Victoria Requiem