Setting for Angelus and Rosary
  • russroan
    Greetings All,

I would like to track down a (Latin of course) chant setting of the Angelus to teach to my children this lent. Of course I know the familar mode I Ave Maria. But is there a setting of the Verses (angelus domini nuntiavit mariae etc.)? I guess I could use the mode I psalm tones for these. But what about the gratiam tuam quaesumus prayer at the end? Any setting for that?

While I'm at it, can someone point me to Latin chant settings for the rosary? I am familiar with the Signum Crucis, Ave, Pater Noster, Salve Regina, Gloria Patri. What about the Apostle's Creed, Fatima prayer, and the concluding prayers?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ
  • BenB
    As regards the Angelus, different chant settings are discussed here

The Apostle's Creed can be found here

As to the other prayers, recto tono or one of the common collect tones wouldn't be out of place.

The book Cantus Selecti, available on musicasacra, has antiphons for each of the mysteries of the rosary (one antiphon to begin each set, and then one for each decade thereafter). There is also a hymn given with a verse for each decade. Begins on pdf pg. 161
  • JDE
    There is a brief setting of the Angelus by Puccini, but you may not find it very exciting musically.
  • mlabelle

@JDE: That's great. Che fai? Recito l'Angelus!

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Dom Charpentier's version, found in the thread linked above. Here's a very nice recording of it. I'm not a big fan of the soloist's pronunciation, but it definitely doesn't take away from the beauty of the recording.

• mahrt
    Some time ago I put together a list of chants which could serve as reflections upon the mysteries of the rosary. In most cases, to ask the question is to answer it: there was one chant which so epitomized the mystery, that it took no searching. In other cases there were several chants, or the choice of any chant was not so clear and took a bit more searching. My idea is that just as traditional paintings--for example, paintings of the Annunciation--can serve to make the mystery more vivid, so a different chant for each mystery can serve to recall the liturgical context in which they belong and deepen the experience of the mystery. I am sure others could think of different ones; just as there is quite a variety o paintings of the Annunciation, so there is probably quite a variety of chants which could serve this purpose. Here is the list:

Joyful: 1) Annunciation, antiphon, Ave Maria (Liber Usualis, p. 1416); 2) Visitation, antiphon, Benedicat tu (LU, 1541); 3) Nativity, inroit, Puer natus est (LU, 408); 4) Presentation, antiphon, Lumen ad revelationem (LU, 1357); 5) Finding in the Temple, communion, Fili, quid fecisti nobis sic? (LU, 481).

Sorrowful: 1) Agony in the Garden, communion, Pater si non potest hic calix (LU, 603); 2) Scourging at the Pillar, reproach 5, Ego te pavi (LU 740); 3) Crowning with Thorns, reproach 8, Ego dedi tibi (LU 741); 4) Carrying of the Cross, antiphon, Crucem tuam [the source of the current Eucharistic acclamation, Mortem tuam} (LU 741); 5) Crucifixion, acclamation, Hagios o Theos (LU 741).

Glorious: 1) Resurrection, hymn, Exsultet, first stanza (Missale Romanum, various editions; Missale Romanum, 1970, p. 933), alternatively, the antiphon to the psalm, Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, from Lauds at the the Easter Vigil [now commonly used at Mass] (LU, 776KK), the Alleluia proper from the Easter Vigil (LU 776II), or the gradual, Haec dies (LU 778); 2) Ascension, offertory, Ascendit Deus (LU 849); Pentecost, communion, Factus est repente (LU 882); Assuption, Alleluia, Assumpta est Maria (LU 1603); 5) Coronation, antiphon, Ave Regina Caelorum (LU 274 or 278).

Luminous: 1) Baptism of the Lord, excerpt Hodie in Jordane from the Magnificat antiphon, Tribus miraculis [Epiphany] (LU, 467), alternatively, responsory, Hodie in Jordane (Liber Responsorialis, p. 71); 2) Wedding at Cana, communion, Dicit Dominus (LU, 487); 3) Proclamation of the Kingdom, communion, Primum quaerite regnum Dei (LU 1039; 4) Transfiguration, communion, Visionem quem vidistis (LU 1587); and 5) Institution of the Eucharist, communion, Hoc corpus (LU 573).
  • I don't have a chant setting, but CanticaNOVA has published the SATB setting which I sent to them for consideration.

God bless,

Chris
    (stisidore@prolifemerica.com)