Online (Canadian) Resources for helping to choose music licit for use at Mass?
  • Are there any resources out there to help Canadian Catholic musicians choose music suitable for Mass? The Biblical Indices in the CBW III are exceptionally brief, so they are not really helpful in trying to choose canticles and hymns suitable for the readings for the day. Is there some kind of list somewhere? I come from a United Church background, and they publish a quarterly magazine called "The Gathering" (and a free, reduced online version) that provides (among other things) suggested hymns, preludes and anthems for their lectionary. Given that Mass is far more... serious... than a Protestant worship service, shouldn't there be some kind of guidance for choosing music to dignify the celebration of the Eucharist? The only thing I've found on my own so far is the GIRM, which doesn't really have a lot of information.
  • If you are looking for something quick and easy, you might try this site.
  • eft94530eft94530
    music suitable for Mass

For a thousand years now, the suitable music is the chant.
    The Dialogues are for priest and people; these are set, nothing to choose here.
    The Ordinary is for the people; there are 18 chant options provided in the Kyriale (see below, Gregorian Missal).
    The Propers are for the choir; there are two chant options in the GIRM (48, 61, 62, 74, 87) ...

Graduale Romanum (1974)
    A subset of the music specified there is neatly organised in context in the
    Gregorian Missal (25 MB, right-click and save)
    http://www.musicasacra.com/books/gregorianmissal-eng.pdf

Graduale Simplex (1975)
    This book is intended for use in small churches.

The next Proper option depends on your version of the GIRM.
    The Vatican website only provides the English version with USA Adaptations.

Once you abandon the chant, things rapidly become a free-for-all.
    The publisher of a hymnal often provides a guide to encourage you to resort to more of their materials.
    This appears to be what you are seeking.
    The previous post gives you a generic equivalent.

A useful exercise ...
    Liturgical Music Document Literacy Challenge
    http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2182
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think we forget that not everyone knows all the "best things" to do....
    Here's a quick roadmap for beginners.

===============================

The "Four Hymn Slots":

Opening/Procession/Gathering Song:

Best option: The Introit chant assigned for the day, from the Graduale Romanum
    -Can be found also in the Gregorian Missal.
    -Can be found (easiest solution) at http://isaacjogues.org/

Second Best Option: A seasonal introit from the Graduale Simplex
    -to my knowledge, this is not available online

Third Best Option: An English setting of the day's Introit chant, in a style derived from chant
    -Adam Bartlett's Simple English Propers at http://musicasacra.com/simple-propers-of-the-mass-ordinary-form/
    -One of several other similar projects (I'm sure others will post to them below)

Fourth best option: An English setting of the day's Introit chant, in a traditionally sacred style not derived from chant
    -Christopher Tietze's Introit hymns
    -other similar things, which others may mention in the comments below

Fifth option: A traditional hymn which mirrors closely the Introit text.

Sixth option: A contemporary, but still sacred in nature, hymn or song which closely mirrors the day's Introit text

Sixth option: A traditional hymn which has, maybe, something to do with the lectionary readings, and isn't heretical

Seventh option: A contemporary, but still sacred in nature, hymn or song which has, maybe, something to do with the lectionary readings, and isn't heretical or stupid

At the Offertory:
    -See options above, with the exception that Tietze's work is only for Introits.

At Communion:
    -See options above, with the same exception

Recessional/Exit/Song for Sending Forth/ Closing Number/Grand Finale:

First option: Instrumental. Usually organ.

Second Options:
    -Traditional hymn, preferably having something to do with the Feast, the Readings, our mission as Christians, or (always appropriate) the Blessed Mother.
    -silence

Third option:
    -Contemporary song or hymn, preferably having to do with the Feast, the Readings, our mission as Christians, or (always appropriate) the Blessed Mother. Be sure to filter for heresy and stupidity.
    ==================

The Responsorial Psalm:

Two options, which I consider of equal value, but others may disagree:
    1. The Gradual chant for the day, from the Graduale Romanum (see above for online resources)
    2. A chant setting of the Lectionary Responsorial Psalm, from a resource like Chabanel Psalms http://chabanelpsalms.org/year_A/

Other options:
    -A setting of the Lectionary Responsorial Psalm from a resource like "Respond and Acclaim" (OCP)
    -A setting of the Lectionary Responsorial Psalm from a resource like "Psalms for the Church Year" (GIA)

Be sure to avoid:
    -Paraphrases of the psalm.
    -Songs loosely based on the psalm.
    -Songs completely unrelated to the psalm, chosen for no apparent reason.

====================
    The Gospel Acclamation:

First best option:
    -The Alleluia (most of the year) or the Tract (in Lent) from the Graduale Romanum (see above for online resources)

Second best option:
    -A chant setting of the Gospel Acclamation verse (from the Lectionary) along with "Alleluia" (when appropriate) as found in resources like the Garnier Alleluia http://garnieralleluias.org/

Third best option:
    The "Gospel Acclamation" as found in a good Mass setting. Make sure the words are right.

Do be sure to avoid:
    -singing "alleluia" in Lent
    -singing randomly selected songs prior to the Gospel

==================
    The Mass Ordinary
    (What you might know as "the Mass Parts" -- the things usually sung every week, like the Kyrie, the Gloria, the Holy, the Memorial Acclamation, the Amen, etc....)

Best option:
    The Gregorian Mass settings, as found in an official Kyriale.
    Online at:
    http://www.antoinedanielmass.org/kyriale/

Second best option (not available until Advent):
    The ICEL chants of the new translation

Third best option:
    The least awful Mass setting that your congregation already knows, as you wait until Advent to implement the new ICEL chants.

====================

I hope the roadmap helps.
  • Adam, how about posting that as a GOOGLE document and giving access to let people add things - like the BFW and other options?
  • In re the Introit, why would a seasonal introit from the Simplex be better than an English setting of the the proper text for the day? It's not in keeping with the GIRM, which lists the first option as "(1) the antiphon from the Roman Missal or the Psalm from the Roman Gradual as set to music there or in another musical setting."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I should have put a caveat on that list, like "Um... by the way... I don't really know what I'm talking about."

Well....
    I guess it depends on your view point, and how you might answer the following questions:
    -Is an English adaptation of the proper text a suitable form of "or in another musical setting," or does it rather a particularly apt form of "another appropriate song/chant" (option 4)?
    -Is the musical form of Gregorian chant (which is to have "principem locum") a higher ideal than the specific text? (Since "principem" means "first," this consideration seems particularly relevant to the Introit.)
    -In weighing traditional use against official documents like the GIRM, which is to take precedence?

I think the nitty-gritty of those sorts of judgement calls are perhaps a bit to fine-grain for the type of person who needs a list as above, as chants from the two Graduales are likely approximately the same amount of out of reach.
    I could be making assumptions I shouldn't make, but I believe that no matter how you parse out the question above, someone in LadyIslay's situation is realistically best-off with something like the Simple English Propers.
  • Mark K
    The CCCB provides suggestions for music from the CBWIII in the documents called "Music for Sunday Assembly" for years A, B and C. You can download Year A here: http://www.cccb.ca/site/Files/CBW_III_Music_suggestions_YrA.html

You can also download Year A, B and C and other documents from here: http://www.cccb.ca/site/eng/commissions-committees-and-aboriginal-council/sectoral-commissions/liturgy-and-the-sacraments-english-sector/documents
  • chonakchonak
    One addition for Adam's list: "an organ processional" could be a perfectly good accompaniment for the entrance procession.
  • Mark K - thanks for those links.

Others - The parish currently sings everything either out of the CBWIII, Gather (GIA), and Rise Up and Sing (OCP) or this illegal photocopy thing called "Youth Ministry Choir Music", of which about 50% are pieces available through CCLI. I do not think that I have the resources available to print single-use music sheets with the music/chant of the day on them. (I've been told that there is no money to replace the 100-page songbooks with ones full of legal imprints, so I can't imagine they would want me to print off 100 song sheets for each Saturday Mass).

I want to introduce some "new" ancient music to the parish, but to do so at a rate more than 1 at a time would probably lead to a revolt. This parish actually sings, which is nice, except that they have a very limited repertoire. The parish does not even use a 'Mass setting' - the Ordinary is a hodge-podge of various settings that includes a Lord's Prayer in which everyone sings the embolism.

Thanks for the links - I'll get reading.
  • francis
    I just wrote a book on this stuff. It takes 30 or minutes or less to read, and it has PICTURES! Next will be the actual list of pieces that are 'approved'. Anyone want to help me start that one?

http://www.romancatholicsacredmusic.com/wswbsnB2.pdf