Which tone to use for Acts of the Apostles
  • What tone is used for the chanting from the Acts of the Apostles during Mass? Is it always going to be the Epistle chant? The reason I ask is because it can readings from Acts can be both the First and Second reading, depending on the day. So on a day where a reading from Acts is the First reading, would I use the same tone for both readings?
  • mahrt
    The introduction to the Graduale Romanum of 1974 prescribes the lesson, or prophecy, tone for the first lesson and the epistle tone for the second. It seems clear that it does not restrict that to Old Testament texts, since it says, "the first lesson, which is customarily drawn from the Old Testament," is to be sung to the lesson or prophecy tone.

In the old rite, where there is only one lesson before the Gospel, the epistle (so=called regardless of source of text) is always sung to the epistle tone, the prophecy tone being used only on those occasions, such as the Easter Vigil, where there are prophecies before the epistle.
  • JahazaJahaza
    In the old rite, where there is only one lesson before the Gospel, the epistle (so=called regardless of source of text) is always sung to the epistle tone, the prophecy tone being used only on those occasions, such as the Easter Vigil, where there are prophecies before the epistle.

Just to make sure no one is scandalized if their priest doesn't use the epistle tone! By the 1961 Liber Usualis, recto tono (with interrogratories) is prescribed for the Epistle with the ancient epistle tone as an option. Anyone ever come across anything about the history of this change?

"The Epistle is said recto tono in an even, well-sustained voice without modulation, but the interrogation is made in the ordinary way, as in the tone
    for the Prophecy. The second tone, as indicated below, may be used ad libitum. It was formerly in common use."

Though I encourage the use of the proper Epistle tone, learning that it's not required makes things much easier for an inexperienced or unmusical subdeacon.
  • mahrt
    The rubric specifying recto tone for the epistle is already present in the Graduale Romanum of 1908.