Selection of Hymnal & new Lectionary Translation.
  • Hello all,

I was just at a pastoral advisory council meeting last night.

Our pastor informed us that we'd be getting the OCP missalette to accommodate new missal translation. His reasoning is that he expects that the lectionary will also be re-translated in the next two years or so. Thus, it doesn't make sense to buy a hymnal when we anticipate a new translation of the ABC reading cycle.

Where is my pastor getting this information about an upcoming translation of the Lectionary? Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Mark
  • JahazaJahaza
    This was discussed here. Looks like it's more than a couple of years off yet, except for the Psalms, which have already been approved.
  • The WLP misalette seems to be the lessers of the two evils. If you go with OCP, chances are, you will get infiltrated with their vast marketing arsenal. I would not do it. It would not be a sound investment.
  • benedictgal,

Thanks for the link Jahaza. I'll read into it.

Unfortunately, the decision was not up for discussion. It was merely informing us what we were in for.

I'll ask if the decision has been finalized.

-Mark
  • Everyone should consider the missalette from Liturgical Press if misallettes are the choice...at least get samples from them and meet with your pastor and musicians.

A link to one version: http://www.litpress.org/mass_guides/mass_guides_ce_text.html
  • Mike R
    Agree with frogman. We've been quite pleased with LitPress, though I am a bit nervous at hearing that they will not be publishing any new Mass settings from other publishers (well, not all other publishers, but the current edition has all the better GIA settings in it) in the next edition of Sacred Song - only their in-house settings. I can't imagine that logic coming from an "up-and-coming" publisher that would like to make the Big Three into a Big Four. Maybe their own new settings will be really great, but they still haven't released any audio samples of them while I've already heard a few GIA and WLP settings (in addition to independent composers) that I really like.

But OCP is a theological and marketing black hole to be avoided at all costs.
  • Kathy
    Heresy alert: How necessary is it to replace hymnals? Do most folks in the congregation turn to the Mass setting in order to sing the Sanctus or the Gloria? If not, it's kinda moot that this section of the hymnal is obsolete. Besides, is it prudent to make both changes (hymnal and translation) at once? Why not buy octavos for the choir, let folks continue singing out of the hymnal that is familiar, and if desired, change in a few years.

My apologies to hymnal publishers.
  • "Heresy alert"
    LOL
    c
  • Carl DCarl D
    I don't know what hymnal you're using, but ours is licensed only for one year. After that, we are legally obligated to throw them in the trash. Of course, I find that distasteful to the maximum degree, but it's nonetheless the contract our parish agrees to when we spend all this #$&*% money every year.

So check your license. At least be aware if you're taking a risk by continuing to use your hymnals.

Carl
  • eft94530eft94530
    With GIA, you buy the hardbound hymnal.
    Every year you continue to use the hardbound, you send in the license fee.
  • GIA sells you the book but only leases the content! That's an innovative way to make money.
  • With GIA, you buy the hardbound hymnal.
    Every year you continue to use the hardbound, you send in the license fee.

Source? I've never encountered that practice in purchasing hymnals.
  • I'm not sure that is accurate either. We have hardbound hymnals from them and don't send in a licensing fee to use them. We DO however, pay a licensing fee to reprint other music of theirs in our Sunday bulletin.