A new wiki project for hymnography
  • chonakchonak
    Blogger Dean Peters has started http://hymnopedia.com/ as a collaborative site for information about hymns, composers, hymnals, and authors.
  • It's fast! Neat!
  • kevinfkevinf
    A quick perusal does not produce any "Mary" hymns.
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, I would expect not: the founder is an evangelical; however, he may well be accepting toward Catholic contributions.
  • francis
    Is this strictly informational, or are the actual hymns posted? I didn't seem to find any.
  • Carl DCarl D
    This would be even more wonderful with the matching of Latin to English, and documentation of which English translation we're looking at!

I'll be watching it - might become quite useful.
  • Maureen
    If you hit the "Hymns" category, actual hymn lyrics come up. Most are missing the MIDI files for the tune/s, but there's apparently going to be MIDI files for as many as they can get.

It looks like a good project, but you can't help unless you have a Facebook login. So obviously they don't want my help.
  • francis
    help with hymns? dont get me started...
  • Hi @chonak, Thanks for the link. And as to your other point, I'm the founder, and I while I attend a Lutheran Church now, I grew up out of a very active Greek Orthodox background. Which my be why the blogger "Catholic and Enjoying It", Mark Shea has mentioned me in a couple of contexts that should assure you that I'm "... accepting toward Catholic contributions."

@carld - I'm using MediaWiki to drive the site. It has support for multiple languages. Good idea- I'll check for Latin.

@Maureen, as for missing MIDI files ... yes, I hang my head in shame. But I'm working on it. There are a total of 783 Hymn lyrics & stories listed, of that, a little over 400 are still in the hunt for MIDI files. As you might imagine, it takes quite a bit of work to launch with as many hymns, files, authors, author images, etc, as I did.

As for the Facebook login, I took the FB Connect route after battling with spammers. For example, during the initial install of Hymnopedia, I only had the site exposed to the public login for 5 minutes while I set up basic authentication so I could do the development work.

Within that 5 minute time frame, two 'bots automatically logged in and put up some ads for meds. That and the re-vamped FB Connect from this past October retains/enforces a users' privacy.

Still, I truly appreciate the comments here. Keep them coming - it helps me improve the site - so THANK YOU.