Directing first Extraordinary Form Mass--*Help!*
  • Heath
    Friends,

We'll be holding our first "Tridentine Mass" in our chapel in who-knows-how-many years this semester . . . on the worst possible date: Easter Monday! A huge opportunity, a great feast, and me wiped out from Holy Week! : )

Anyway, I'm super-excited despite the date . . . but I could sure use some advice and planning assistance! I've only been a part of about 3 EF Masses (all at the CMAA Colloquia) and I was obviously never in charge of directing; I'd like to lay out some areas of concern and plead for your help!

First off, I'll have a fine young organist playing, and a choir of ringers (not sure yet, though, whether it will be men-only, SATB, or a combination of both). And as far as I know, it will be a "High Mass."

--Order of Mass, music-wise (please chime in if I've missed anything; I've also added some thoughts for repertoire):

--Vidi Aquam (chant, or choral setting) (*Question*: my cheat sheet seem to indicate that the sprinkling rite may not happen, due to the fact that it's not a Sunday; is that the case?)
    --Introit (chant)
    --Kyrie (chant (congregational), or choral setting)
    --Gloria (chant (congregational), or choral setting) (*Question*: not good to do a choral Kyrie and then a chant Gloria?)
    --Gradual (chant)
    --Alleluia (chant)
    --Credo (chant (congregational), or choral setting(!)
    --Offertory (chant, then a choral piece, if time permits) (*Suggestions?*)
    --Sanctus (chant or choral setting)
    --Agnus (chant or choral setting)
    --Communio (chant, then choral piece) (*Suggestions?*)
    --(Ite Missa Est)
    --Recessional: Organ or congregational hymn

*Did I miss anything?*

--Recommendations for "worship aides"? Does anyone have a template/sample they'd like to share with me? It would need to be something inexpensive, yet comprehensive.

-- I'm a little torn on how to balance out choral and congregational stuff . . . I'd like for the congregation to be able to sing a bit, but I'd also like to do make good use of my choir and properly reflect the feast day. My congregation knows the "Missa Simplex/Jubilate Deo" parts very well, but they don't seem very appropriate for the feast. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
  • JahazaJahaza
    Some random thoughts:

You need to know definitively if it's a High Mass (which may mean a Sung Mass or a Solemn Mass depending on where you are located) or a Low Mass, since the music programming would be completely different.

You can't have the Asperges (which is what it's generally called even when the music is "Vidi Aquam") except on Sundays.

You probably want music to cover the entrance procession, perhaps organ. The introit can serve this purpose, but it makes it more difficult to time (and you may have to sing additional verses). It's also permitted and simpler to wait to begin the introit when the celebrant arrives at the foot of the altar.

You will need to sing the sequence still during the octave of Easter (Some of the Sequences are longer in the EF than in the OF, so make sure to check against a Missal or the Liber Usualis/'62 Graduale).

Within the ocative of Easter, remember that your Ite Missa Est will include an Alleluia.

Your choir needs to be prepared to sing the responses (e.g. before the gospel, at the preface).

Remember that your choral pieces at the offertory and communion have to be in Latin.

It's fine to do a Choral Kyrie and then a chant Gloria, but many Choral Kyries have to be edited to make sure they have the required repetitions (3/3/3 in the EF).

It's often helpful for otherwise experienced choir directors who are new to the EF to have somone who can help out with the cueing of what to do when so they can focus on the music while not e.g. starting the offertory chant after the Dominus Vobiscum but before Oremus. Such a person will be easier or harder to find depending on where you live.

Recommendations for "worship aides"? Does anyone have a template/sample they'd like to share with me? It would need to be something inexpensive, yet comprehensive.

If you want the whole text of the ordinary, there are three main options I know of, from the Coalition for the Support of Ecclesia Dei, Roman Catholic Books, and the SSPX. You'll also need a sheet with the propers.
  • Heath
    Jahaza, very helpful, thank you!

--Yes, forgot the sequence . . . I think it's the same in both forms, but I'll check.

--No "Asperges" (Vidi), got it.

--Pretty sure it will be a High, non-Solemn Mass, but I'll verify.

--Yikes, those worship aides will get a bit pricey, especially since this is probably a one-shot deal . . . might need to prepare my own.
  • dad29
    "Solemn" and "High" Masses are transparent to the choir. No difference.

We use the Introit to "cover" the entrance procession and that is IMMEDIATELY followed by the Kyrie. Been done that way here since forever. But, FWIW, the "entrance procession" usually began at the sacristy door-entrance to the altar, not the rear of the Church. So: use the Introit chant at the beginning of the procession; if you have time left over (incensing the altar e.g.) have that bright organist do a short interlude; as soon as the priest begins the prayers at the foot of the altar, begin your Kyrie.

Offertory voluntary? There are lotsa "Easter" 4-parts out there as well as Chant voluntaries. Look at the Liber Cantualis for "Easter" pieces. As to the Communion voluntary, you could use the Chant Ubi Caritas (it's certainly not restricted to Holy Thursday) or the Durufle arrangement of same (you'll need good ringers to pop that off easily.)
  • Asperges/Vidi is a Sunday thing, I'm pretty sure.
    If I were going into this with pro forces, I would suggest doing all polyphony, using one setting from mid/late 16th c., just because it tends to be easier to learn. The exception would be the Credo; if anything should be congregational, that's it, and they tend to be long anyway. If I had to do one part of the Kyrie/Gloria pair as congregational chant, the Kyrie would be much easier for most congregations than the Gloria. There's no legal problem with doing chant then polyphony that I'm aware of, just an aesthetic problem. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the congregation singing; if they really wanted to do that, they'd be at the OF or in the choir. >;-)

Take a look at the LU...evidently Victimae Paschali follows the Alleluia. Do the chant; you have enough on your plate, they probably won't have heard it the day before, and it's one of the glories of the chant repertoire.

Offertory motet: there's nothing that says you have to do the offertory text as your offertory motet, IF you've already done that text in chant. The Palestrina Angelus Domini a 5 (Casimiri opere v. 8) is actually the Alleluia (offertory has different continution) and is also in high clefs, which leads to 2 inner voices that are too high for tenors and too low for altos. If you can snag a good countertenor it might make sense to do it down P4 with men alone. The Gradual though is Haec Dies, which tempts one to Byrd, but it's not easy. The Lasso Angelus Domini a 6 (SSATTB, RRMR 117) is actually Responsory 1 for Matins of Easter Sunday. Likewise the Lhéritier and Willaert settings a4 are quite doable, but aren't the right text variant. There's not much for the Communion text; MAYBE a few anon. or obscure German settings. BUT Senfl set the Introit, Alleluia and communion a 4, they look doable SATB and not too hard, and are v. 8 in the collected works.

BTW, this is a good resource for such questions:
    http://www.arts.ufl.edu/motet/default.asp
    It only points to original manuscripts and not modern editions, but once you find out what's out there, you can look for the editions.
  • Jahaza...
    I'm pretty sure the Kyrie count doesn't matter in polyphony; at least it's never been an issue in any EF mass I've sung polyphony in. But I'm looking for documentation and can't find any...AND I need to do some other work at work. Anybody else chime in here?
  • Mark P.
    The Sequence is different between the OF and the EF. The EF has "Amen. Alleluia" at the end. Of all your worries, the count of the Kyries in polyphony is the least of them. You might conside a "Regina coeli" as a motet. The Aichinger is nice and accessible. I'm sure others have additional suggestions. "Scio enim quod Redemptor" (I Know That My Redeemer Liveth) by Lassus is a fine motet and SATB. "Surgens Jesus" by Peter Philips is likewise fine (SSATB). The old warhorse "Alleluia" by Randall Thompson would work too since its only words are alleluia and amen.
  • That's right. A choral Kyrie does not have to have the 3-fold iterations.
  • Also Sequences follow the Alleluia in the EF. The sequence was partly born out of adding prosae to the melisma of the Alleluia (but not exclusively).
  • A menu of choices with logic would be so helpful.
  • Seriously, consider carefully any participation in the music by the people. As a start it would be simpler to not include them - it will irritate those who are against it.

Then, if they start asking when they get to sing, you can make the decision to expand.

In a diocese with two TLM's one sings high mass and the other speaks low mass....interesting.
  • Chrism
    If the priest is also new to the EF, expect him to mess up your plans, whatever they may be. Roll with it as best you can.
  • We only employ an instrumental "procession" when the ministers process from the back/entrance of the church. If they enter from the Sacristy (usually "stage right") it is appropriate to begin the Introit immediately. The ministers will probably have a walk through some time before hand. Be there as quiet consultant. Time their entrance rite including prayers at the foot of the Altar. Match you Introit/Kyrie choices AND tempi accordingly. Don't worry if the music runs just a bit long - you are singing the Mass. It's only the "music sung AT Mass" that is never allowed to slow the Mass down.

I would double/triple check the rubrics on the "Vidi Aquam", since every day of Easter week is actually Easter - hence Gloria, Sequence, and Credo. This might be the singular exception to the Sunday only rubric.

The Sequence, IIRC, begins after the Alleluia verse, without the final iteration of "Alleluia", which then comes at the very end, after the "Amen". The tones and pitches should match for a smooth transition. This might be a time to rely on Fr. Rosinni's Psalm Tone Propers. (And I don't think it's a "mortal sin" to add "Amen. Alleluia" to the Sequence in the OF Mass, at least when sung. It's part of the music, even if not the text of the Missal/Lectionary. I will not consider this an "abuse".)
  • I would suggest getting Andrew Mills's little book, "Psallite Sapienter." Not for repertory suggestions, but for the sequence of music for the 1962 Missal, and lots of solid advice. It's published by CMAA.
    Psallite Sapienter

For Easter Monday, no Vidi Aquam (only for Sunday, I learned the hard way), and Sequence after the Alleluia. Interesting, the Easter Octave still has a Gradual, like Easter Sunday. Given that the chant propers are different from the Sunday, it might be advisable to stick with known repertory for the other parts of Mass. But you know your choir. Best of luck!
  • P.S. The "Pater Noster" was typically included in the peoples' parts of the Mass during Pope Pius XII's reign. Earlier Missals restrict both spoken and sung to the Celebrant, the congregation only joining in on "...sed libera nos a malo". Some people have strong feelings about this, stemming from whatever the practice was when they were growing up. But it IS legitimate for all to sing it, or even say it at a Low Mass.

P.P.S. The people are still allowed recite the triple "Domine non sum signus", so don't plan on the Agnus Dei moving right into unless the Celebrant desires it that way.

Don't forget that the Blessing comes AFTER the dismissal, not before as in the OF. The Last Gospel must also be read (but not chanted). But there are no prayers aloud after Mass. Whatever recessional, instrumental of vocal, should start just after the "Deo gratias".
  • Heath

You have been given some very good advice and suggestions. I remember the first EF I conducted and it was scary. Of course I didn't have to worry about the Propers back then as we have a schola director already, but it was daunting nonetheless. Will the Celebrant go over the order and rubrics with you? Because our choir was so used to singing the Novus Ordo Latin Mass, Father made us an instruction sheet of what to do and when, THAT was very helpful. God bless and I am sure all will go well for you!
  • JahazaJahaza
    Jeffrey Quick, the polyphony/repetition issue with regard to Kyrie's is discussed at length here in reference to Byrd's Mass for Three Voices. There are a variety of opinions.
  • Heath
    Thanks for all the help!

I think I'll try for a choral Kyrie, Sanctus, Agnus, and congregational Gloria and Credo. *Any TTB(B) Mass settings to recommend?*
  • Mark P.
    It's impossible to get and I shouldn't even mention it but the "Mass in Honor of Our Lady, Queen of the Franciscan Order" by Owen Da Silva, OFM is beautiful in both its SATB and TTBB versions.
  • Heath
    Friends, if I may update you on this "extraordinary" event . . .

The Mass went spectacularly! I was bushed from Holy Week (as were my singers), but we all got excited about this opportunity and it didn't disappoint. The Mass was served with reverence, beauty . . . and the music was great! : ) Seriously, my gents rocked out . . . I was very proud of the way they sang.

I also have an extremely fine organist (only a freshman, Deo gratias!) who played for the Mass. You'll be able to hear some of his selections in one of the links below.

We got some props from the New Liturgical Movement. Here's the first link, announcing the event:

Announcement and repertoire list

And here are some photos and a sound clip of the Kyrie:

Second NLM post

And all the sound recordings:

Sound files

(BTW, first time I'm attempting to actually hyperlink with html . . . I hope it works!)

Overall, what a wonderful experience; the TLM is so . . . heavenly. We're hoping this will be an annual event from here on out . . . hopefully on a different day than Easter Monday. : )
  • Mark P.
    The singing is very beautiful. Congratulations. It's wonderful to hear such challenging repertoire well executed.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Heath, you are amazing!
  • rsven
    As a veteran ER director, I offer you my congratulations. Good work. Keep it up! Now...picture doing this every Sunday: it isn't so difficult, is it? Sort of sings itself.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Heath this was great. I listened to the Kyrie at the New Liturgical Movement site and it sounds very nice. I have some background and a question for you. I will be taking over for our full time music professor, Dr. Prowse, this coming January as he is going on sabbatical. He wants me to continue working with our TTBB seminary choir and I would like very much to know where you got the Mass setting used for your EF Mass. I think it would be a good fit for the men at Sacred Heart in Detroit. We have a pretty good choir for a seminary and even a few former music majors are in the seminary currently...this helps a lot as you can imagine. So glad to hear your success.--Ruthy Lapeyre
  • Heath
    Ruth,

I got the setting over at cpdl.org, a website you should know about if you don't already . . . it's an incredible resource!

The composer's name is Kerle; put him in the search engine and you'll see him pop-up, with the "Missa Regina Coeli" amidst his works. *Note: there are a few typos in the edition, but I could point them out to you at some point if you decide to do the piece. Good luck!
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Mind you I'm not promising to do the piece soon, Heath, but let me point out that it's fairly easy to share feedback on cpdl editions with the whole world by adding the template {{ScoreError|list here}} or just enumerating errata here.

Does the introit Exurge, quare obdormis survive anywhere in the OF?
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Richard,

Exsurge, quare obdormis is the introit for Tuesday of the Second Week of Lent (Graduale Romanum p. 91).
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Thank you Chris! The feria propers in GR also help clearing up another mystery.
  • MarkThompson
    Chris (and Richard),

I didn't find Esxurge, quare obdomis listed anywhere in the Missale itself for Lent. Is the "Antiphona ad Introitum" listed for each day not the same as the Introit given in the GR? Or am I just missing something?
  • Mark P.
    The introit and communion verses in the Roman Missal often times do not agree with the Graduale Romanum (1974). It is absolutely, positively allowed to sing the texts from the Graduale Romanum even when they don't agree with the Missal.
  • MarkThompson
    Good to know. This has probably been addressed somewhere, but why did such disagreement come about?
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Thank you so much Heath!
  • eft94530eft94530
    Mark P: "Roman Missal often times do not agree with the Graduale Romanum"

MarkThompson: "addressed somewhere, but why did such disagreement"

Right click and save the following 3 MB file ...
    http://www.musicasacra.com/publications/sacredmusic/pdf/sm133-4.pdf
    Look for the article
    "Graduale or Missale: The Confusion Resolved" by Tietze

Also ...
    http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1310
    http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3018

The Forum "Search" button is very useful. :-)