International Congress on Medieval Studies at Kalamazoo (May 8-11)
  • http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/

Is anyone here going to be in attendance? My wife is going, and I'm going with her... there will be a few sessions that deal with Gregorian Chant. In additional, they have vespers every evening.
  • GavinGavin
    Which events are open to the public?
  • I just spoke to someone who goes every year. Apparently it is a great conference and somewhat quirky too. There is a "fake paper" session where people offer fake research in a very scholar manner. I hope to go in the near future. Also "medieval" is understood to be a rather broad time period!
  • I don't know what, if anything, is open to the public... we're both paying conference admission.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    A member of our schola, who hates to travel, goes every year without fail. For many people, it's the great event of the year. I know that William Mahrt has been several years.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Some blogger, and I don't remember who, maybe The Cranky Professor, did some wonderful satires of this conference. In addition to all the wonderful papers, etc., it is a "meat market" for academics and especially for those winding up their doctorates. Frantic networking in elevators, trying to be seen standing next to "the important scholar of the year," etc. At the same time, when I look at the listings of papers, it somehow makes me happy that so many people are researching so many things, especially things that are, as students like to say "really dead."
  • BTW the Renaissance Society of America had an excellent conference this past weekend in Chicago. The number of papers on music has really grown. I offered a paper on how one can see a support for the Immaculate Conception doctrine in Juan de Esquivel's Ave Maria Domini mei mater (1608) by seeing how it musically and textually recalls Guerrero's Ave Virgo sanctissima. Lewis Lockwood was honored for his many years of fine scholarship. He's a rare breed who does wonderful work in Renaissance imitation and Beethoven(!). It's in L.A. next year.
  • Just bringing this up one more time... my wife and I leave tomorrow.

I'll be attending at least one of the sessions on chant, with Prof. Mahrt speaking!