Ministers showing respect at the Altar complements the Sacred Music at Mass
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I've said many times, and truly believe, that a Church musician can accomplish NOTHING without the support of the priest.

Here's a small way that folks at the Altar could assist us musicians:

The Correct Way To Fold Hands At Mass
  • miacoyne
    Thanks for this. I just showed it to my two boys who are getting trained to serve (EF). This is exactly what I reminded them this morning when we got to the church. A great 'reinforcement' with pictures for them.
    Btw, the 'incorrect' prayer hands just remind me of 'wobbly and mumbbly' singing also.
  • GavinGavin
    With respect, this strikes me as an extremely silly complaint. Is there any rationale for this, or is it just "that's how it was done in 1950"?
  • Maureen
    It's a lot older than 1950. :) That was the standard position for all Catholic folding of hands until relatively recently. Look at Durer's Praying Hands, for instance.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it "correct" versus incorrect, but it certainly looks and works out better. Altar servers have to have their hands out in front of them, ready to react quickly. Sometimes untwining your fingers takes that second too long. It's also more suitable-looking, because it goes with what the priest and deacon do and because it's highly visible.

Frankly, though, when you're wearing garb from the Roman Empire and carrying candles, it's a bit late to complain about not being allowed to fold your hands the modern way. :)
  • JahazaJahaza
    This is the method described in e.g. the Baltimore Ceremonial, which was mandated by the Council of Baltimore for the U.S.

However, if I remember correctly, there are some authorities who allow the fingertips (not the fingers) to be interlaced, but this is a decidely minority opionion.
  • miacoyne
    Besides looking neater and proper, the 'correct' one (or you can call it a traditional prayer hands) helps my boys to focus better when they serve. And it requires a certain level of discipline, which I found modern life style doesn't ask for as much. This might be a tiny detail, but tiny details matter when they are all put together. Mass celebrated in a sloppy manner is a disrespect to God and distraction to people in the pews. We can all do our best to offer the best.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I concede the reasoning is not a priori (as Harold Powers would say).

But ... it just looks better!

:-)

Gavin, the article specifically says you are allowed to think I'm crazy.

:-D
  • The "correct" picture is the hand position actually prescribed by the rubrics.

The priest keeps his hands joined: when, vested, he walks in procession for the celebration of a liturgy; when he is kneeling at prayer; when he moves from altar to chair or from chair to altar; when the liturgical books prescribe joined hands.

Similarly, ministers keep their hands joined when walking from place to place or when standing, unless they are holding something.

“Hands joined” means: “Holding the palms sideward and together before the breast, with the right thumb crossed over the left.”

--Cf. CB, no. 107, n.80 citing Caeremoniale Episcoporum, ed. 1886, I, XIX, 1
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've heard the (fairly liberal, BTW) Rev. J Glen Murray SJ speak about this, in a talk that went through the various prayer postures of Christianity. He was highly in favor of what JMO calls the "correct" option, and admonished us that we (lay PIPs) should do likewise, as part of our Active Participation. He also spoke of the history of this gesture (which I don't remember, but had something to do with ancient greeting practices).

I think the big thing is not what the specific hand-posture is, but the spiritual/liturgical discipline of having a specific one and sticking to it. Of the three pictures shown, only the "correct" one looks like its being done on purpose.