Organ Voluntary in "Sacred, Beautiful, & Universal: Colloquium XIX"
  • Hi All!

Given the seriousness of the discussion in this forum, my question seems trite by comparison!
    In the beautifully produced documentary "Sacred, Beautiful, & Universal: Colloquium XIX," there is an organ voluntary that underscores the narration/dialogue between 43:20 to 45:45. Does anyone know if this is a composed piece or is it an improvisation? I contacted Corpus Christi Watershed, and they didn't know, but Mr. Ostrowski encouraged me to ask the question here stating "if you post this question on musicasacra.com/forum, I'm sure you will soon have the answer."

Many thanks!

Jim
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    To me, it doesn't sound like improv.

Can nobody help?

click here to listen 43:20 to 45:45
  • BruceL
    Jim and Jeff,

It doesn't jump off the screen to me, but does sound very English (I know, I know, that really narrows it down!)

Somewhere from Stanford through Howells?
  • eft94530eft94530
    The music is at the beginning of this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQBrGXTnMW0

Colloquium XIX was in June 2009
    and the documentary includes interviews and classes and masses from it.

Perhaps the music is captured in live performance during the week?
    Some of those sound files are online at ...
    http://music.dierschow.com/2009Colloquium/index.htm
  • Carl DCarl D
    There's a good chance that it's in my archive there somewhere, but I haven't had time to go scouring through for it. But my indexing of the music that wasn't listed in the book was ... marginal ... There might be a good chance that I don't have it listed either.

Carl
  • First off, thank you to everyone who has offered me assistance in what has become a bit of a quest! I checked Carl D's archives and although I did not find the elusive organ voluntary among them, I did in fact enjoy several hours of stunning choral and organ performances. As is so often the case, one can discover something completely unexpected while in the process of looking for something specific, and such is the case here. The performances in the archives are stunning, and I was introduced to liturgical and organ literature I never knew existed, and so my search for the phantom organ piece has not be in vain in the least. That being said, I would still like to know what the unknown organ voluntary is, but I'm sure I will find out in time. Thanks again for all of the assistance -- it is very much appreciated.

Jim
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

I just KNOW one of you can help Jim!

After all, nobody knows organ repertoire like y'all !
  • It reminds me of the Reger Benedictus...but then there are some lines that may be too English to be Reger.
  • I've posted to pip-org - let's see what they come up with.