Chant Ordinary for Septuagesima Sunday
  • WJA
    I'm thinking Mass XVII, since that's for Sundays in Lent, and Septuagesima Sunday is a preview of Lent, e.g., purple, no Gloria, etc. But I could be persuaded to stick with Mass XI, too. Thoughts?
  • We sing Mass 11. I won't try to persuade you to do the same since, well, there's no firm rule. But in most places, Mass 17 isn't sung during Septuagesimatide.
  • WJA
    If Mass XVII isn't sung in Septuagesimatide in most places, I think that is a persuasive argument for using Mass XI. It's that sort of knowledge about custom that I lack, hence my question.
  • dad29
    FWIW, we use XVII only on Sundays of Lent and Advent for our EF Masses although we have used un-accompanied 4-part settings beginning on Septuagesima and on Gaudete/Laetare Sundays.
  • GavinGavin
    There's at least 14 others you could look at, why not pull out something interesting? Does the congregation chant the ordinary; if so, what does everyone know?
  • It's not in all versions, but a 1959 edition of the Liber actually specifies Kyrie XI for the three Sundays of Septuagesima season. I wonder if this isn't to prevent people from using Mass XVII before Lent? However, it's worth remembering too that there is no hard and fast rule (LU p 78). Nor do you have to use a full set given--this could be an occasion to introduce one of the ad libitum Mass parts.

That same Liber edition also specifies Kyrie XVII for Palm Sunday. There are few instances where it gives one.
    Thanked by 1Nisi
  • WJA
    >Does the congregation chant the ordinary; if so, what does everyone know?

While the congregation is invited to sing the ordinary, quite a few prefer not to and it's only a once-a-month EF Mass, which doesn't give those who prefer to sing enough repeated exposure to any one ordinary setting to really learn it. We've sung both XI and XVII, so those who sing will know one as well as the other. So as between the two, I'll go with XI.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.
  • mahrt
    Another indication of Mass XI is that for the Divine Office, at Lauds and Vespers, the Benedicamus Domino which corresponds to Kyrie XI is specified for "Sundays during the Year and on the Sundays of Septuagesima, Sexagesima, and Quinquagesima.
    Thanked by 1Nisi