"Generic" Literature
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm expected to do an "Offertory Anthem" every week my Episcopal job. It is essentially a Choral Performance.
    I've done a bit of all sorts of things, from British Choir type stuff to some Contemporary things to some Gregorian Chant.
    This week I'm trying my hand at a little Palestrina, thanks to FNJ's awesome "Catholic Choir Book" (which I've used before to excellent effect).
    I generally try to select texts which "fit the readings," and also- as I have a mandate to "do a mix of styles," the program slot gives me a sort of "Wild Card" for balancing things out.
    Anywho....

It's pretty clear I need to do more Choral Literature here, but we have limited rehearsal time and no built-up repertoire.
    As I said, FNJ's "Choirbook" has been a big help, because I know everything has been vetted and edited for a normal parish choir.

So.... I'm looking for more material like this, especially stuff we can have in repertoire and pull out when we have to cancel rehearsal or when we need to focus on the big feast day coming up in three weeks, or when I can't think of any decent music that "fits" the readings on some particular Sunday.
    My basic criteria are:
    -Choral in nature
    -metered (not chant)
    -modern notation
    -SATB or less. Prefer strongly SAB or SB (This is a big deal, as we only have 3 sops / 3 altos / 3 men)
    -Could be learned by a decent choir in one rehearsal.
    -"Generic" text which would be appropriate on most random days. (Several Psalms come to mind, as well as some Eucharistic texts and general praise)
    -Unaccompanied or basic organ accomp (we have a fantastic organist and a terrible organ... sad, really)
    -Easy to get (stuff available online is a big help)

Any help?
  • I really need to get Book 2 finished...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    yes...

It really is a fantastic resource.
  • DougS
    If you haven't already, invest in The Sacred Harp. Several pieces in this collection fit your criteria, and many are probably found online in standard notation. (If not, and your choir doesn't want to read the shapes, it's easy to make transcriptions or other edits, especially for voice range).
  • Have you looked at the old Oxford Easy Anthem Book (probably out of print; maybe there's a whole new one). It's mostly with organ, but the parts don't look hard. A fair bit of unison or 2 part stuff. That was about the size of St. James (3-2-2-2 when everyone was there). The Concord Anthem Book is another possibility.
  • GavinGavin
    St. James Music Press has some great products which are cheap and extremely accessible.

Unfortunately the Oxford book is out of print, but some of their more recent collections have material accessible to a wide range of choirs.
  • How about Kevin Allen's Motecta Trium Vocum ?

Would these fit under the generic "Anthem" heading you listed above?
  • You really need The New Oxford Easy Anthem Book

http://www.amazon.com/New-Oxford-Easy-Anthem-Book/dp/0193533189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296093474&sr=8-1

It is very Catholic....nothing in there is not acceptable at liturgy.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    aquinas-
    Yes! I love the Kevin Allen stuff, and I just got my budget for 2011 flowing.
    Thanks for reminding me of those.

fnj-
    Also, thanks for the reminder. I met an Anglican choir director at the CMAA event in Houston and he recommended the New Oxford Easy Anthems, which I had since forgotten about.
  • The nice thing is that they are not easy!
  • DougS
    x2, NOEAB