Writing a Quick Booklet : Need Your Input!!!
  • francis
    Dear Friends and Colleagues:

The time is pressing and we have an open window with the implementation of the 3rd Edition of the RM. I am writing a small booklet, not unlike the FAQ distributed by CMAA. However, I want it to be a widespread, quick and easy read and appeal to a new beginning, especially with regards to the liturgy, and more especially with regards to its music.

1. This is an opportunity to make an example of what we have lived through and the fruit (bad) that has come from it:
    a. Loss of Catholic Identity
    b. Loss of Vocations
    c. Loss of Stewardship in the Church: Time, Talent, Treasure
    d. Loss of Financial Giving
    e. Loss of Trust in the Clergy
    f. Loss of participation

2. This is an opportunity to educate the faithful on what the right music for liturgy should be, starting with the English chants that will be in the new edition of the RM.

Below is the outline I have so far.
    Please make suggestions for Subtitles and also references to documents that put forward the desire of the Church for what kind of music it prefers for her liturgies.

THIS HAS TO BE SHORT & HARD HITTING!!!

Last of all, give me any suggestions you might have to make this as palatable as possible for the masses. Thanks.

Please be as detailed as possible.

I want to publish this as a PDF in four weeks (or sooner) and make it an educational tool, shotgun approach, and give it to anyone and everyone who will read it.

Music in Catholic Liturgy: Out of the Desert & Into the Promised Land
    -----(Implementing Music for the Liturgy in Conjunction with the 3rd Edition of the Roman Missal)
    --Forward
    ----Forty Years in the Desert
    ------references from the intro from modernity and the mass
    ------Liturgical Disintegration - B16
    What Is Active Participation?
    --Summary
    ----Questionable: Everyone Sings and Acts all the time
    ----Authentic: Everyone has a role to fill
    Who Is Supposed To Be Singing Now?
    ----Questionable: (Singing AT Mass)
    ----Authentic: (Singing THE Mass)
    What Are the Most Appropriate Musical Selections?
    ----Questionable: Songs & Hymns
    ----Authentic: Ordinary & Propers
    What Style of Music is Appropriate?
    ----Questionable: Vernacular Songs & Hymns
    ----Authentic: Gregorian Chant, Polyphony
    What is the Most Appropriate Language for Music?
    ----Questionable: Vernacular ONLY
    ----Authentic: Latin & Vernacular
    Who Chooses Music for Liturgy?
    ----Questionable: Personal Taste
    --------The falicy of “De gustibus non disputandum est”
    -------- Folk, Rock, Pop, Jazz, and Other Experimental Music
    ----Authentic: Church’s Preference
    --------Pope Benedict’s Liturgy and Church Music
    --------Selections from Musica Sacra FAQ on Sacred Music
    --------Church Docs on Music
  • JahazaJahaza
    I would subsume your "What Style of Music is Appropriate?" into your "Who Chooses Music for Liturgy?" Perhaps retitled as "How to Chose Music for Liturgy?" to make it less likely to get caught up in power politics.
  • francis
    good one.
  • Carl DCarl D
    The challenge with this approach, Francis, is that it resonates mostly with people who think that:
    * The general state of the Church is in bad shape
    * And therefore something needs to be fixed
    * And what needs to be fixed is our liturgy

My experience is that most people don't believe that "fixing" the Church or its liturgy is important, nor has much relationship to the general state of our society at large. In other words, what's the pressing need to change?

I'm not talking about the state of people on this forum or in the CMAA. I'm talking about parishioners and music ministers that I interact with.

So the key to this approach being successful is to draw some clear and compelling links between each step of the logic. From society, to Church, to Liturgy, to actions of the popes, to this specific change. When I ask for catechesis around these changes, that's really what I'm asking for. I need to get better about articulating this to my own priest, because he doesn't seem very motivated to start catechizing very soon - and yet the November deadline is closing in.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Foreword
  • francis
    Carl

Well, we (our diocese) just had a diocesan wide institute led by our Bishop. We had six breakout sessions which were these:

1. Renewed focus on the sacraments, especially the Eucharist. 2. New Evangelization 3. Catechesis 4. Youth & Young Adults 5. Family Life & Vocations 6. Stewardship.

You can read about it here:

http://bishopsblog.dioceseofcheyenne.org/?p=865

This is fortunately, lining up with the implementation of the 3rd Edition of the RM. We (our parish) is also transitioning to a new pastor in the not too distant future (we hope!)

The overall tack of the two sessions I attended is that we are somewhat languishing, and that indeed, we need to overhaul our approach. So I am taking advantage of the overall tenor of the experience to offer positive and practical suggestions on what we can do to move forward.

I don't want to come off like the church is broken, but that it is indeed an opportunity to take a good look at our situation, and adjust the course as necessary. The Mass is the center of our existence, and if it is not in good order, nothing else will be.

Thanks for your comments. This is very tricky to write something short without coming off as critical, and I certainly hope that the final piece will be challenging yet positive and draw our diocese into reorienting our liturgical life, especially with regards to music. I think I am one of the few if not the only full time DoM in our diocese. Pray for us!
  • DougS
    If we are making small edits, it's "fallacy," not "falicy" (and "foreword," not "forward," as eft pointed out).

Bigger suggestions:

----Questionable: (Singing AT Mass)
    ----Authentic: (Singing THE Mass)
    What Are the Most Appropriate Musical Selections?
    ----Questionable: Songs & Hymns
    ----Authentic: Ordinary & Propers

You might consider condensing this:
    1. The divide between singing the Mass and singing AT Mass is exactly the divide between singing songs vs. singing the Ordinary/Propers.
    2. Presenting the Ordinary/Propers as a "selection" doesn't quite capture what you want.

You haven't provided any answers, but the question is important.

What Style of Music is Appropriate?
    ----Questionable: Vernacular Songs & Hymns
    ----Authentic: Gregorian Chant, Polyphony

You might consider substituting "plainchant" for "Gregorian chant" because, for example, the Simple English Propers are plainchant but not Gregorian. (Maybe they fell on the wrong side of the Jesse tree?)

Hope that helps.
  • francis
    good ideas, Doug

I purposely didnt put content up to focus mainly on categories

sorry this is vague so far
  • Carl DCarl D
    Fantastic, Francis. Build on the momentum that others are creating, the same conversations that are starting up. It's tricky, yes, but the Holy Spirit will help you bridge the gap.