Presentation of the Lord - First Vespers
  • Aaron
    I am looking for a resource for an English musical setting of the antiphons for First Vespers of Feb 2, Presentation of the Lord. Previously, I have used the settings as found in the GIA Worship LOH edition sung by a cantor. Unfortunately, this book only has Lauds and Second Vespers for this Feast. I also normally used these settings with the psalm verses sung to the St. Meinrad psalm tones. But I am now in a new position and open to suggestions. Thanks.
  • See if these might help. I imagine you can find Meinrad tones to match the antiphons. Texts taken from Christian Prayer, 1976.
  • Richard, that is useful, but this brings up the constant problem with the LotH. There are no melodic settings for many of the new antiphons and none really for the vernacular. We lose the distinction between antiphon and psalm by singing both as recitation tone. Let's hope this is someone's next big project. Think of the financial possibilities of providing (at first) a set of melodic antiphons (as they should be) for the English texts of the LotH. It could "make" a composer.
  • Maybe, Michael. But I gather the Hours will not catch the current wave of ICEL revisionism for some time yet. Until the texts are stable (and the Psalms accessible, without all the copyright hoops through which to jump), it's not a project many composers would care to tackle. Of course, church musicians who want to sing the current texts can always write their own, which they should learn how to do anyway, in my opinion. 'Taint brain surgery, as the attached sample clearly shows.

As for existing settings of the English texts, "none really" may be descriptive, but isn't quite accurate. For one example, someone should contact the Sisters of St. Benedict's Convent, Saint Joseph, Minnesota (56374), and see if Sister Cecile Gertken's comprehensive resources are still available (though I'm not sure the translation she uses is official). A working list of other LotH resources would be a useful addition to the CMAA website.
  • Thanks, Richard. I doubt I will ever be terribly interested in praying the vernacular LotH, in public or private, since I agree with Dobzay that these prayers represent a more glaring rupture with the traditional Roman Office. I do hope, for the sake of those who wish to do the Office in the vernacular, that a group of diligent musicians will begin to compose and gather together (here or perhaps at Jeff O's site) melodic settings of the antiphons. They are desperately needed.
  • Aaron
    Thanks Richard, I concur a resource page for LotH is needed on the CMAA website.