Inculturation - fun or painful
  • WIKI: Inculturation is a term used in Christianity, especially in the Roman Catholic Church, referring to the adaptation of the way Church teachings are presented to non-Christian cultures, and to the influence of those cultures to the evolution of these teachings.

It's fun or painful to watch, but not a substitute for the real thing. This reminds me of almost every diocesan major event podcast Mass video I have seen from the Catholic church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoFWL5yEMMw
  • It's like having Raffi in charge of the mass at school! Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggh!
  • Liam
    Why does it have to be "or"?
  • Blaise
    Frogman,

No disrespect, but where do you dig out this junk? That Hal Leonard video, how come it looks (and sounds) like something that belongs on MTV?

Not to get off topic, but now I'm going to offer an antidote to that Hal Leonard video, so that all may have something pleasant to think about at bedtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFHAOaKdMTQ
  • Popped up on an Anglican forum where it was described as: Hurl ! Hurl ! Hurl all your sins out the door!
  • Blaise
    "Hurl, Hurl....."

LOL!
  • CharlesW
    Evangelization - Converting the heathen to Christianity and civilization.

Inculturation - Acting like the heathen rather than converting them.
  • chonakchonak
    If you're in the mood for the ridiculous, here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSLijTYuV0E

Highlights, so to speak:
    0m 0sec: Entrance Song
    3m 50sec: Song of Glory
    7m 50sec: Responsorial Psalm ("All you nations")
    10m 0sec: Gospel Acclamation (you gotta hear this)
    25m 45sec: Offertory song
    36m 50sec: Lamb of God
    38m 35sec: Two Communion songs
    48m 5sec: Recessional song
  • Why torture the poor shut-ins with that stuff!
  • It is a real relief to find a church actually playing the organ at Mass as the church documents call for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIST4QES5sc&feature=related
  • I'm really, really tired of telling people that the "last song", often referred to as the recessional hymn, should be omitted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onyC7pWizHo&feature=related
  • eft94530eft94530
    I think we have already started looking at inculturation in several earlier Forum Discussions
    (use the Search button).

The Wikipedia article pasted above is wrong in many ways.
    A most serious twisting of truth occurs with the first sentence use of the word "evolution".

The Church and Her Teachings DEVELOP.
    We are to conform ourselves and become part of and grow into the fullness Jesus gave us.
    To say otherwise is to suggest that what Jesus gave us was false
    and needs to become something different
    and we are the ones who know better than Jesus
    if indeed there is any acknowledgement of Jesus.

The concluding "See Also ... Syncretism"
    might be more appropriate in describing the above video confusions.
  • I'm not in favor of looking at it, I'm in favor of avoiding it...anyone who finds a WIKI page incredibly accurate undoubtedly wrote it themselves. I really did not go looking for it, it just appeared on my doorstep and I made the mistake of letting it in.

Multiple postings of Hurl! Hurl!...on the anglican forum were just too much to ignore.
  • Priestboi
    I feel slightly different towards inculturation.

I remember there was a great piece on the inculturation of the Chinese regarding sacred art on the NLM which I found most pleasing. Here in South Africa we are all about "inculturation", funny enough, and i hope you see the irony, our bishop imported an Australian to design our art. In the end he kitched up the place, where venda-ish art were to be found in Xhosa churches. The difference being between that of high renaissance and cubism, a culture shock indeed. I believe that there is true enculturisation: if the culture itself is ennobled with Christian ideals and true worship, yet loses nothing of its form with regards art, music and dance (here dance means a little more than the Americas. Its just what you do.). But thats just me.
  • My .02.. Music and dance have powerful associative properties. If a culture retains its music and dance when Christianity is introduced, there can be serious problems of mixing the old and new into a more syncretic religion (see Haiti, Brazil, and maybe Asia minor). In Mexico, where the traditions of chant and ceremony were enforced, there did not seem to be any confusion regarding the religious teachings of the Church.

Oh, and what must a culture think, if a missionary comes and tells them that everything they are doing is fine except that they need to believe in the Trinity, etc. They might just think "Why do we need to change if we are already fine?"
  • Maureen
    "I'm really, really tired of telling people that the "last song", often referred to as the recessional hymn, should be omitted."

Maybe you need to get the priest to sing a little recessional ditty about "In the beginning was the Word" or St Michael defending us in battle.

Actually, when you think about it, the St. Michael prayer would be the perfect recessional song, all organ march and uplift and togetherness. Plus you'd have percussion from all the people's heads exploding. :)
  • He can chant it. (attached)

Then the organist a Sortie on the psalm tone while the people either leave in silence or kneel and pray.

Singing yet another hymn, outside of feastdays, really makes a special thing just an everyday thing.