Cleveland to mandate Mass settings. will it be chant?
  • I just received word that in Cleveland, three Mass settings will be used for the new translation of the ordinaries to be used at all combined parish Masses. A practical idea that is a great opportunity for chant !
    I will gladly defer to our Bishops intentions, but I hope that the chanted Music for the Missal will make the list.
  • I've heard of this possibility in several dioceses, and I don't like it. It's not that I don't see it as an opportunity, it's that I know which Masses will be chosen as the norm. I sincerely hope whoever is deciding considers what music he or she would like to hear at Mass for the next 20 or so years. I dread what that mandate may be.
  • Mandates are a very bad idea, whether an opportunity or not. A generalized "You must do a Gregorian Ordinary occasionally" (with "occasionally" defined as something more often than "once a decade") I could live with. But the Church has never been closed to new music...until perhaps now. As for Bp Lennon, my fear would be that he would do to the liturgy what he has done to the beautiful old churches of Cleveland. Given his immense popularity (NOT!), I wonder that he would take a stand that will be unpopular with everyone, when there is no need to do so.
  • Peter Kolar managed to convince several dioceses to use his setting, Misa Luna, as the Mass of choice. In fact, El Paso is using it. I have heard it. In fact, he came down to our diocese under the guise of teaching about sacred music. All he had the choirs do was learn his setting. The El Paso model and what happened at our doicese were bad ideas, since, in Kolar's case, he took it upon himself to translate "Christ has died..." into Spanish, an ilicit act in and of itself.

If Cleveland wants to have a main setting, why not just use the ones already provided for by ICEL. Now, if there are mixed language groups, Pope Benedict XVI suggests this (from Sacramentum Caritatis):

I am thinking here particularly of celebrations at international gatherings, which nowadays are held with greater frequency. The most should be made of these occasions. In order to express more clearly the unity and universality of the Church, I wish to endorse the proposal made by the Synod of Bishops, in harmony with the directives of the Second Vatican Council, (182) that, with the exception of the readings, the homily and the prayer of the faithful, it is fitting that such liturgies be celebrated in Latin. Similarly, the better-known prayers (183) of the Church's tradition should be recited in Latin and, if possible, selections of Gregorian chant should be sung.
  • The selections of "popular" Mass settings continues to expand so much that it is difficult to know which one is "popular" The market for commercial music cannot create CULTURE - only FASHION! therefore it cannibalizes the old products as fashion demands change. Popular Mass settings are nice- that is "nice" in the Latin meaning.
    The selections of "popular" Mass settings continues to expand because they are all found wanting. Since Vatican II I have not found a Gloria or a complete English Mass setting for the congregation that I liked except Lee's (GIA) chant, until I found the Meinrad Kyriale. Although Proulx's and Haas' many settings are good they never seem to match the texture and tone that I experience when I actually pray these texts. With so much written about chant by JP2 ,B16, GIRM, and STL I am hoping at least one of the Catholic Church's Gregorian Masses could make our "white list."
    I like Bishop Lennon's leadership- and support him through all these church closings and his efforts to put some order to our diocese. Duc in altum!
  • deleted
  • This all strikes me as substituting political power for catchesis. If bulletins are being inappropriately adorned, the idea is to say how to do it right, not to ban a technology. The music thing is similar, but at least there's an argument to be made for uniformity. Whenever I go into a strange OF church, I'm expected to sing the jingles, which are different from the church down the road, and they're never named or there is never a hint as to where in the missalette they're hiding. Show me the notes and I can whip it off, but if I'm trying to pick it up by ear and guessing at the next pitch, I won't be singing loudly. But even in that case, the solution is "show me the notes" not "make every congregation sing the same notes".
  • I live in the Diocese of Cleveland and this is the first I've heard of this. With Bishop Lennon in place, it is very possible though. This idea really scares me. I can only imagine sitting through something I do not like every Sunday for who knows how long.

There is too much diversity among the parishes in this diocese to have mandated ordinaries...
  • Jen
    I am in the Cleveland Diocese and had the same concern when I received the email about the mandated settings. So when I responded to their request for which settings I was planning to use starting Advent 2011, I mentioned that this would be a great opportunity to get every parish to utilize the ICEL chants that will be in the Missal. The response I got indicated that they initially were going to mandate just the ICEL chants, but decided to broaden the spectrum and solicit input from the Music Directors of the Diocese to have a total of 3 settings. So to me, that sounded somewhat promising. Not sure what the other 2 will end up being... but my guess is that they will pick ones that are more "middle of the stream" so that those of us who have managed to utilize music with a more traditional approach to sacred music, won't have to attempt a rock/soft-rock setting (I could be wrong...). Also - parishes won't be limited to just the 3 settings for their own use, they only need to be sure their parish becomes familiar with those settings.
  • Bobby Bolin :The mandate seems apply only to diocesan or multi parish functions.
    I would not expect the mandate to be too far from the "Mass of Creation", the "Community Mass", or the "Danish Mass".
    My disappointment was that in the notice I received did not list the ICEL chanted ordinaries or the Gregorian ordinaries mentioned in STL as choices. Including one chanted Mass setting as one on the three choices for all diocesan or multi parish Masses would be significant. So many recent Church instructions continue to promote Gregorian Chant that I would expect my own diocese to defer to (or at least acknowledge) some of the wisdom the the Holy Church gives us.
    We have good leadership here and a great oppertunity to promote chant.
  • Mr. Gregory Heislman, the diocessan director of music of Cleveland, has been very clear that this will not limit parishes and that far from being a needless act on the part of the bishop, this will greatly enhance the ability of the faithful to participate at events such as the Chrism Mass, ordinations, etc.

I'm not worried at all about this and I do hope that one of the three is a chanted setting.
  • I just received word from Greg that it was Bishops interest in the ICEL's new music intitated his survey of what the area musicians would prefer. It was an oversite that the ICEL's music was omitted from the choices.
  • I'd overlooked that this wouldn't be Bp. Lennon thinking on his own. Greg is a great guy and a fine musician, and if this would actually lockstep parishes, I suspect it would be an "over my dead body" moment. Mandating that parishes be familiar with something for multi-parish functions is quite another matter, and a good thing for the reasons I gave above.
  • incantuincantu
    The fact that a musical setting is going to be contained in the Sacramentary seems to me to be a mandate in itself. Musical notation could have been left out completely, or any number of composers and songwriters could have been asked to provide settings to be included in the appendix of the publication. Neither of these situations is the case. The only reason I can think of that a musical setting would be included in a ritual book is that that music is intended to be used in the ritual.
  • francis
    incantu:

Wow... actually sing what's in the book? That is a bit far fetched!
  • miacoyne
    I also received the following, suggesting consensus on Mass settings for parishes in the same county. Quit a surprise. I'll try to be at the meeting, but I also know most of the musicians in this area are NPM chapter members, not CMAA. I hope you pray for us.

" This past Monday we had a very enlightening and useful workshop on the new Missal here at Church ...... It was sponsored by our local NPM chapter with some help from our new Office of Worship. The day was highlighted by keynote addresses by Fr. Rick Hilgartner who is an expert on the upcoming changes.

One of the topics discussed was the potential challenge parishioners will have if they happen to go from one parish to another and the ritual music will be different. We at NPM ....chapter are considering whether or not as an archdiocese we can come to a consensus of perhaps four settings to choose from. Within our small group here in .......y there are eight different parishes. Imagine that on any given Sunday or at any given funeral there will be eight completely different settings of the Glory to God, the Holy Holy, etc. If we were to be able to decide on four that we all liked, maybe that would bring about a better sense of uniformity.

It occurred to me that maybe it is too much to get a consensus within the entire archdiocese or to try and enforce that. It also might not make much sense because who from ...... county or even..... would be traveling to ..... for Mass? I suppose it could happen, but not likely. Instead I reckon there is greater amount of “inter-parish” activity at a more local level. So I thought it would be wiser to start here...."
  • Am I wrong to assume that the ICEL chant setting will be USCCB mandated to appear in any publisher's missal/hymnal effective Nov.27th?
  • Cantate
    I'd be interested to see what this really means. If this is a mandate as the ONLY setting of the Mass, I am absolutely against it. First of all, for those of us who have active plainsong choirs, feast days, seasons, etc. have different Masses that are most appropriate. Some also sing polyphonic settings at times. To be required to sing only one setting of the Mass severely limits developed programs.

Now, I have heard of dioceses that will have an "official" setting of the Ordinary. This is generally a setting that every parish is required to know, but certainly not required to do every single Sunday. It's helpful for when there are diocesan gatherings (Chrism Mass, Ordinations, etc...). Mandating a plainsong setting of the Mass for something like that would excellent and I'd support it whole-heartedly.
  • BruceL
    Charles:

I'm not exactly sure, but something I got from OCP (!) last week that comes with our missalettes DID have the new ICEL setting in it. I was...surprised!
  • I'd suggest that if it meant temporarily giving up other settings for awhile to establish this as the "standard" ordinary for a diocese it would be worth it.

There are diocese where the official mass, I have heard, is the Mass of Creation.

Would stamping that out not be worth singing a simple English chant Mass for a time?
  • Cantate
    Bruce....that setting was mandated by the USCCB Committee on Divine Worship. That setting will be the first setting included in any missal/hymnal printed in the USA.

(side note...this isn't an attempt to ignite a discussion on the authority of the USCCB...)
  • So, that's a yes?
    @Cantate- I think that such a mandate would function much as the "Jubilate Deo" mandate (which, by force of legislation should remain in all the same resources.) Clearly, it would compete with both revised and newly set ordinaries. But I agree that by virtue of it being there, DM's and choir directors should give it a higher priority than a cursory "We won't do this."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It should be the default, by virtue of that's a damn good idea.
  • Here is the STTL - though not a real-man - date, BUT it does carry some rank and IS worthy of notice.
    75. Each worshiping community in the United States, including all age groups and all
    ethnic groups, should, at a minimum, learn Kyrie XVI, Sanctus XVIII, and Agnus Dei XVIII, all of
    which are typically included in congregational worship aids. More difficult chants, such as
    Gloria VIII and settings of the Credo and Pater Noster, might be learned after the easier chants
    have been mastered.

Do any other RECENT documents that give preference to the Gregorian ordinaries? Is there a recent document that encourages the chanting of the correct seasonal Gregorian Ordinary? Has Jubilate Deo been revised? I know the Gradual and the Simplex are mentioned as preferred options for the propers- just wondering if there is a similar position for the ordinaries.
  • Missa Bossa Nova ride on!
  • miacoyne
    Thanks Ralph for the quote from STTL. This is good. Also this, although it's not so recent.

"Steps should be taken so that the faithful may also be able to say or to sing together in Latin those parts of the Ordinary of the Mass which pertain to them." (Section 54, the Second Vatican Council, in its Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy)

I just spoke with a music director in this area about Jubilate Deo be included in the suggested settings for the parish in this area. (Most hymnals have them, although most parishes here have been ignoring them.) There's a hope. (by the way, this is not Cleveland area.)
  • I knew Ralph would remember FEL's Missa Bossa Nova. It doesn't get any easier than a two chord "Sanctus" (I-bVII-I)
    Regarding "Jubilate Deo," I have such tsuris using its "Kyrie/Agnus" after NOLA Intensive with Dr. Mahrt mirthfully dubbing it "the Mass of the Dead!" So, Wendy's mandated Mass XVII for Lent!
  • The use of the Mass of the Dead at ordinary OF Masses does cause a problem when the congregation sings at an EF funeral and the last phrase of the Agnus Dei turns into a train wreck.

It seems wrong to have to stand up before an EF Funeral Mass and instruct the congregation to follow and sing the correct music for the last phrase of the AD.
  • JahazaJahaza
    It seems wrong to have to stand up before an EF Funeral Mass and instruct the congregation to follow and sing the correct music for the last phrase of the AD.

This kind of thing is hard to avoid, even with congregations somewhat experienced in the EF. There are at least a few differences with the Requiem Mass that your average congregation won't be familiar with, even if they regularly attend the EF on Sundays. For instance, they're supposed to kneel for the collect and postcommunion, rather than stand. (This, combined with the common EF practice of the congregation kneeling until the end of the sung Kyrie, has the comical effect of having the servers, who stood at "Oremus" at the end of the prayers at the foot of the altar, hitting their knees at precisely the same moment the congregation [incorrectly] stands up.)
  • francis
    Yes

Did you notice the truncation of the Jubilate Deo AD in the new English version of the ICEL chant in the Missal? They just scrapped it altogether.
  • I have been told that priests for the U.S. military (base chapels, U.S. and overseas) have been told they must use the Missal music for at least one entire year. I find this to be a very good opportunity to bring some comfort level for a pretty large number of people with the new translation and music (as well as a legitimate reason that brooks no discussion about why we won't be doing the "clapping" Gloria at Mass anymore).
  • I am not pleased with the English chant Kyrie - it varies too much from the Latin one right above it on the same page to make sense to a congregation.
  • JahazaJahaza
    You mean the Greek one? ;)

I recently heard some of the worst performed music at Mass I've ever heard at a U.S. Army base chapel. The primary hymnal was still Glory and Praise.
  • Well....it's Greek to you! ;<) as usual, I wasn't thinking!<br />
    If CMAA were to join together to create a graduated training guide to singing and playing music at Mass...it would be unstoppable.
  • francis
    FNJ.... you are absolutely correct! UNSTOPPABLE.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Do any other RECENT documents that give preference to the Gregorian ordinaries?

In Apr 2010, I last updated a Google Docs spreadsheet.
    I only completed the search through some of the documents; see the green/yellow status line in the spreadsheet.
    Scrutinizers and assistant editors welcome.

DocumentsRecommendingOrdinaryChants
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aka8xAr4afVwdDEzcWVJREd0R0ozSkI3MjVYc0dfLVE&hl=en&authkey=CNWl_7cE
  • marajoymarajoy
    So what did they end up picking?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    You don't want to know.
  • francis
    Yes we do. Please don't deny us our crosses!
  • If you bitched about it last Tues. night in rehearsal, you can bitch about it here.
  • If I heard right it is Mass of St. Paul the Apostle by Christopher Walker. Probably not the best to pick but I would argue not the worst either.
  • Well I know that our Archbishop has requested of a local composer that he give a polyphonic setting to certain parts of Credo I and III in order that they will be heard as more solemn. I know this composer well and he is very solid and loves chant and early polyphony. He played for me what he has written so far and it is very nice, sounds medieval! This is the Credo I and III chant setting from ICEL site I believe. I am very hopeful for our diocese as our Archbishop is also a fine singer and a pretty good amateur musician! He always sings the priest's chants when he Celebrates Mass, prayers too!
  • Where to post my :-) heresy:-) ...here in this thread or the one where 6/8 meter is so worthy to be villified pre-emptively as "just and always" sing-songy?

Well, I'm here, so...Ed Bolduc's Glory from MASS OF ST. ANN is in 6/8. But I'd hardly deem it sing-songy. There, a mini review based upon the piece, not the genre or person of the composer I can do THAT. And I do appreciate the overall assessment of the mentioned Walker setting after giving it a thorough audition. It seems typical, "It'll do," that seems the hallmark of endorsement for both pre- and post-MR3 settings.

Ol' Diogenes here is always looking for inspiration, integrity and beauty, no matter the genre or meter.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Charles:

Mass of St. Ann made me remember that I do, actually, like contemporary music.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I was at the NPM convention in Louisville, sitting next to a colleague who specializes in "contemporary" Catholic music. Whenever OCP/GIA would start pushing their dreadful contemporary settings, one of us would turn to the other and say, "can we just sing the Bolduc Mass again?" If you're going to do something contemporary, at least do it right..... Not that I'm saying I approve of its liturgical use. But it's fun to sing.

It also became an informal greeting we'd have for one another, when we first saw each other to sing the first "Glory" from the Bolduc Gloria.
  • JAQ: Rawr!

Francis, everyone else: It IS indeed, the Mass of St. Paul by Christopher Walker. And no, it is not the worst, but also far from the best. My plan is to just play it at about half speed. Then it at least sounds like somewhat high church, quasi-Anglican imitation crap.
  • francis
    PGA (thats short for PaixGioiaAmor)

I LOVE quasi-Anglican imitation crap! It usually smells better than most of the stuff from our own native bathroom publications.
  • Liturgical scatology? Arggghhhh