Through-Composed Gloria in Spanish
  • I would be most grateful if someone could recommend a Spanish sing-through Gloria (i.e. no refrains) that has the correct words, sounds decent, and could be sung either by a choir or just by cantor/organ.
  • You may wish to see the setting in this thread.

Download Part32, Part42, and Part52 for the full setting of the Gloria in Spanish (and English and Latin).
  • Thanks Aristotle

And would others continue to post suggestions for additional through composed settings?

I like the Psallite one. My own experience, not having a Spanish choir director who is very well-trained in music or in leading a choir, is that they flounder with psalm tone-style settings. They can't grasp it, and I don't have the time myself to be able to work with them on it. So they tend to do better with melodic/metrical settings. However, I am asking my organist (who speaks no Spanish) to look at this Psallite one and figure out if there is some way she can work with them on it.
  • This version sung in English in this video - attached is Spanish version. http://cantusmundi.blogspot.com/2010/08/gloria-glory-be-to-god-on-high-old.html

The Spanish version has not yet been finalized, but could be used as is.
  • Thanks Noel. I've passed that one on for consideration also.

If anyone else has any, especially metrical settings, please refer me to them. Thanks!

Fr Jerabek
  • If someone had access to a metrical Spanish Gloria, regardless of the music it is set to, it would be helpful if you'd link to it.
  • For those who are interested in composing, here is the Glory To God in Spanish spoken in Texas.

www.frogmusic.com/SpanishGloryToGod.mp3
  • henry
    There's a through-composed setting with the correct words in an old hymnal called Cantemos al Senor (published by Our Sunday Visitor). It's from a Mass called Misa de la Victoria and the composer is E. A. Clifford. I'm not good at scanning etc. on a computer, but I could fax it to you if you provide your fax number. If you find a copy of the hymnal yourself, it's number 239.
  • henry
    Sure - will fax it on Monday.