Whatever happened to James MacMillan's Mass of Blessed John Henry Newman setting?
  • I wanted to post this setting since it was used for the Papal Visit to the UK, but, I cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I might be able to find it?
  • DougS
    I'm not sure what you mean by "post," but the publisher is Boosey & Hawkes. You may be able to buy it from them.
  • I wanted to post a link to this as a possible Mass settings for parishes to use, as an alternative to the stuff coming out from OCP and GIA.
  • This morning, we sang the "Gloria" from the Mass in Honor of Blessed John Henry Newman by James MacMillan. The choir enjoyed singing it. I heard many positive comments from people in the pews and from the clergy. This setting captures the drama of the text--praise, petition, and triumph. In spite of the "quirkiness" of the melodies, it is very singable. With a choir supporting the congregation, this is a setting any parish could sing. Without a choir, I'm not sure if a congregation--by itself--would respond.

Here is a performance from the Papal Mass in Scotland last year:

http://youtu.be/7YcH5yCSiuE
  • BruceL
    JM,

Did you order these from the UK? I called Boosey/HL here and they have no plans to carry it. I would consider using it at my place if it were more readily available! I told B&H "shame" for not carrying it. Also, shipping time from the UK was 2-3 MONTHS!!!! I hope the horses they use to swim the scores over across the pond make it okay!

His St. Ann Mass is supposedly revised with new translation, too.
  • Bruce L:

I ordered online. The music came within 5 days from Great Britain. No problems.
  • Same here. Make sure you are ordering the choral/vocal edition and not the assembly edition.