New translation study texts for sale
  • Pray Tell has a webblog post about the publication of book of study texts of the new translation.
  • These people sit in Rome, or wherever they sit, eating food, drinking wine paid for by the collections of Catholics around the world and they publish a book to help Catholic understand the new texts of the Mass AND CHARGE FOR IT.

I'll buy one the day they make it a free download. And we should all say the same thing and get a movement going.

Boycott this and all books SOLD by the church unless they are also available as free downloads.

Paying for a published, ink on paper book, for the person that wants to hold one in hand, should be a choice. Withholding the information from the poor, teh unpaid church volunteers, is wrong.
  • CharlesW
    I can get out my 1965 English missal and read those texts. They are almost identical. So much for progress.
  • Maureen
    It's a practice book for priests who want a book to practice from, looks like. Priests who want to download the new text for study probably already have done it.
  • francis
    Yea, Charles! The train is running again! 1966 will be just around the corner! (I was eleven then and had just composed my first series of pieces for the piano... I also remember thinking, what have they done to the Mass, turning the priest around and not praying in Latin anymore... I had just learned all the prayers for altar boys)
  • CharlesW
    Francis, you are still a teenager! I had just gotten out of high school. ;-) I remember thinking the same things. The 1965 missal was an accurate translation. We have come full circle with the missal, since the "new" one is so similar to the "old" one. My biggest shock a few years later, however, was when I saw my first copy of "Glory & Praise." I remember thinking that church leadership had collectively lost its mind.
  • The 1965 Missal is almost identical to the new Missal?
  • CharlesW
    Not all of it. The canon is the Roman Canon and still in Latin. The ordinary and some other parts are quite close to the new translation. For example:

I confess to almighty God, to blessed Mary ever Virgin, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy apostles Peter and Paul, to all the saints, and to you, father that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, and deed. Through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault...

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men of good will.

The Lord be with you.
    And with your spirit.

I believe in one God. The Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible. ...
    And I believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, born of the Father before all ages. God of God, Light of Light, true God of true God. Begotten, not made, of one substance with the Father. ...And he became flesh by the Holy Spirit of the Virgin Mary: and was made man.

Lift up your hearts.
    We have lifted them up to the Lord.
    Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
    It is right and just.

Holy, holy holy Lord God of hosts.
    Heaven and earth are filled with your glory, Hosanna in the highest.

Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the word, have mercy on us. ...
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    The 1965 Missal is almost identical to the new Missal?

think with regard to translation...
  • I own a copy of the 1964 Missal (at the time they started calling it the Sacramentary). The Sanctus in that version is identical to the one that we will use in November.
  • CharlesW
    I know. Amazing, isn't it? And now some are acting like these minor changes will throw the church into chaos. Crazy!
  • I am going to order two copies of the book, one for myself and the other for my parochial vicar.
  • CharlesW
    I am arguing that it would be easier for the people to learn new settings, rather than sing new words to older mass settings. Wish me luck. If I succeed, the Mass of Creation will disappear from my parish.
  • I'm with you, CharlesW. I think that making the chant mass in the Roman Missal a basic requirement for all parishes to provide universality within the English speaking US churches alone would be a step forward - not demanding elimination of the other music.