Recommended introductory books
  • Hi all, I'm preparing a presentation about Gregorian chant featuring a brief explanation of the merits of chant (mostly citing Vatican II documents and the like) and a read-through of selections from "Jubilate Deo". At the end of the presentation I'd like to recommend some books about chant and sacred music that are accessible and comprehensive. The two books I have so far are "Catholic Music Through the Ages" by Edward Schaefer and "Gregorian Chant: A Guide to the History and Liturgy" by Dom Daniel Saulnier. Are there any other books that you would recommend (preferably less complicated than Saulnier)?
  • DougS
    Have you considered David Hiley's "Gregorian Chant" in the Cambridge Introductions to Music series? It has a relatively reasonable price for a book from Cambridge University Press.
  • mhjell
    As a newbie wanting "how to's", I found the Maurier/Turkington, Gregorian Chant Master Class, book and CD to be superlative. For a lower cost, Tortolano's Gregorian Chant Handbook, book only. For free download, Noel Jones' Beginner's Guide to Reading Gregorian Chant Notation.

-Mike.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    If they are open to a DVD, perhaps Sacred, Beautiful, & Universal might be a good choice?

When you buy 2 copies, they are only $10.00 each !
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Don't forget Jeffrey and Arlene's Complete Idiot's Guide, available on MusicaSacra.com
  • chonakchonak
    Do folks like Fowells' "Chant Made Simple"?
  • I got a lot out of Fowells!
  • For something smaller, yet substantive and accessible, I'd add Dr. Mary Berry's 'Plainchant for everyone'.
  • miacoyne
    'A Plain and Easy Introduction to Gregorian Chant' by Susan Treacy

'Gregorian Chant Practicum' by Justine Ward (prepared by Dr. Marier)

'Reflection on the Spirituality of Gregorian Chant' by Dom Jaques Hourlier
  • miacoyne
    All the books above are excellent.
    It also occurred to me that a deeper appreciation of Gregorian chant comes with a better understanding of liturgy. So I highly recommend 'The Spirit of Liturgy' by Ratzinger. The first half is a bit abstract, and some people mentioned that it was not easy to follow, (our parish had a book discussion on it ), but if you just read through and finish the second half, which is pretty concrete and easy to follow, one may see the liturgy in a different level and helps to experience the liturgy that transcends time and place . (There's also a chapter on Music and Liturgy.)
  • Mia, great suggestion!!! Chant does not exist in a vacuum, after all.

BXVI's 'Spirit of the Liturgy' is on my top five book list, can't recommend it highly enough. It sets a very grounded and profound foundation for the understanding of the sacred liturgy, and begins to call the Church from... misguided practice/reform into a more full and fitting celebration. Love it! Gotta say I thank God for this pope in our times. We are blessed.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks MaryAnn. I thank God for the Church and the Holy Father who helps us to understand the liturgy more deeply.

Today we face our own crisis in the Church. Pope Benedict has written—

“The Church stands and falls with the Liturgy. When the adoration of the divine Trinity declines, when the faith no longer appears in its fullness on the Liturgy of the Church, when man’s words, his thoughts, his intentions are suffocating him, then faith will have lost the place where it is expressed and where it dwells. For that reason, the true celebration of the Sacred Liturgy is the centre of any renewal of the Church whatever."

I'm also very thankful for the people here for sharing the trust and faith in our Church.

Mia
  • All, thank you for your suggestions!

Mia, I've also read the Spirit of the Liturgy but was not sure I wanted to include it in the book list. I think I will now!
  • miacoyne
    I'll pray for your presentation. Thank for doing this work.

Mia