Wyandotte, MI 48192

Saturday, February 19, 2011
    10 AM o’clock until 12 Noon o’clock

Presented by Dr. David E. Saunders
    Music Director/Principal Organist,
    Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church

Adjunct Faculty, Instructor of Sacred Music,
    Ss. Cyril & Methodius Seminary, Orchard Lake MI

Join Dr. Saunders, a serious-minded Catholic and a sacred musician committed to the “Reform of the Reform” and the reclamation of the unique identity of the Catholic Church, in a discussion of a key principle in the reforms of the Second Vatican Council, how it has impacted the musical and liturgical life of the Church, and what the future holds for the music of the Mass.

(Free and open to the public).
  • Bumping this to the top for folk who live in the area and may be interested in attending.

In light of some of the questionable opinions, instructions and advice being provided by some of the lay leadership from the Archdiocese of Detroit for the implementation of the "new" (read, "corrected translation") missal, most especially with respect to the music, it is my hope and goal that this presentation will help serve to bring things into better focus.
  • miacoyne
    Sounds wonderful. I will pray that this will go well. Please don't forget to share it after the presentation.
  • francis
    DA

I would truly like to hear this. Will it be recorded?
  • I'm not planning on recording it, but I'll investigate the possibility.
  • francis
    I have just finished a small book which I plan to publish on the 1st of March. The opening chapter is "Actuoso Participatio: What Does It Mean?"

It would be beneficial to hear this presentation as it could fortify the opening chapter. If it would not be too much trouble, maybe even just an iPod recording could be invaluable. Thanks David.
  • JennyJenny
    Francis,

How exciting! I know quite a few folks who could benefit from a better understanding of 'actuoso participatio'. Keep us posted on this, please!
  • francis
    Jenny

O definitely! I will give the update on the thread I started a few weeks ago.
  • I'm happy to report that the presentation went well, and was well-received. There were approximately 20 in attendance, which for this kind of presentation at our parish, given on a Saturday morning, is excellent. It also helped that the monthly Missa Cantata preceded it. All of the attendees, save one, were sympathetic to the cause of the "reform of the reform" and the restoration of chant and polyphony to the liturgy, so in some ways I was "preaching to the choir." They did have many good questions and the discussions were lively and intelligent. There was one attendee who spent about 10 minutes attempting to explain how an inner-city parish in nearby Detroit uses "liturgical dance" and why she didn't see that as an abuse. Despite careful (and charitable) explanations from myself and others in the audience (and as providence would have it, although I had not intended to discuss the issue, a quote from Ratzinger's The Spirit of the Liturgy just happened to be at my fingertips), she wouldn't let it go, and so I simply said that we had to move on.

The handout for the presentation included an outline (shown below), as well as a chronological listing of documents on music and liturgy from the Holy See, the USCCB and the Holy Fathers, going back to 1903 (Tra le sollicitudini), two charts based on paragraphs 28-31 of Musicam sacram illustrating what was intended for increasing participation through the systematic introduction of more chant beginning with the dialogues and ending with the Propers as well as an illustration of what typically happens in a parish (Propers replaced with hymns, dialogues only sung to make the particular liturgy "more special" or solemn), and four jam-packed pages of links to all of the documents online as well as other articles and websites (including this very good one.)

You'll notice that the presentation culminated in a discussion of the funeral Mass as an example of how the replacement of Propers with Hymns actually thwarts the Church's intention of increasing participation by employing hymns and songs that are at odds with the intended texts and prayers of the liturgy, and making the Mass about what the people want ("songs that bring comfort") rather than what the Church wants (the prayer in Charity for the repose of the soul of the one who died, and to ease their passing through Purgatory into Heaven). I used a comparison of the Proper entrance antiphon ("Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord") with the text of "Amazing Grace" to illustrate how the participation of the faithful becomes a focus on them and how they feel, rather than on the true prayer of the Church. After the presentation, several elderly folk told me that they want to ensure that their funeral is a proper Requiem, sung according to the NO with the chanted Propers, and not "On Eagle's Wings". I told them that they needed to put their desires in writing in some kind of legally binding document, such as their Will, to ensure that grieving family members who may or may not be churched or would be inclined to select contemporary songs or Protestant hymnody for their funeral will not be able to make such choices.

Here is the outline of the presentation:

Introductory Remarks

[Included two excerpts from section 14 of Sacrosanctum Concilium printed here]

Actuosa participatio Throughout the Documents

- What does the Church teach and how does the Church describe it?
    - Interior versus Exterior participation
    - Not just moving around and making noise

Sacred Music: How the Church Describes It

- Holiness, purity of form
    - Chant and polyphony (Renaissance) as the model
    - New compositions as “true art”

Progressive Participation versus Progressive Solemnity

[explanation of the two charts derived from Musicam sacram]

The Propers versus Hymns

- What are the Propers and Hymns?
    - Preferences in the IGMR

Questions and Discussion

(Break)

Understanding What This All Means for the Future of the Mass

- The “corrected” translation of the Missal, Advent 2011
    - More chant, more participation
    - Turning toward God together

How Does This All Work? The Paradigm of the Funeral Mass

- The purpose of the Funeral Mass and the Teachings of the Church
    - The principles of full, active and conscious participation applied to the Mass

The presentation lasted a little over 2 hours, but would have benefited from a three-hour time frame. It is almost a mini-seminar.

I am currently looking for other venues in the area to give this presentation, and would be willing to travel if the possibility presented itself. If you would like to have more details about it, or if you think you or your parish would be interested in sponsoring this presentation, please feel free to contact me at: deasaun@gmail.com.
  • miacoyne
    This sounds wonderful.

I am still a bit confused about the inter-relationship of the " Progressive Participation versus Progressive Solemnity [explanation of the two charts derived from Musicam sacram] ? ( I guess my main question is on the congregation participation of singing Propers.) If you have the chart, would you be able to post here or email it to me? Thank you.
    Mia
  • Andrew,

Looks very good Andrew. I would like to show this outline to a few people would that be alright with you? My pastor is one and perhaps another pastor I know as well.

Ruthy
  • mahrt
    An excellent point: progressive participation vs. progressive solemnity. Musicam Sacram proposed three stages in the introduction of music, for the sake of achieving a "High Mass," i.e., a Mass completely sung: 1) the orations, the dialogues between the priest and people plus the Sanctus--which concludes the preface and the dialogues which precede it--and Lord's Prayer, 2) the rest of the Ordinary of the Mass, and 3) the proper of the Mass, potentially including the singing of the lessons. All of these are stages in the introduction of a regular completely-sung Mass, as the speaker put it "progressive participation." This scheme has been transformed in the document Sing to the Lord into "progressive solemnity," the notion that the solemnity of days could be emphasized by singing more on the most solemn days and less on the lesser days. The differentiation of the solemnity of seasons is traditionally made by such things as abstaining from organ music during the penitential season, abstaining from alleluias in Lent, and doubling the alleluias in the Easter season, but not reducing the amount of singing (except for compline in the sacred triduum). Traditionally the norm was the completely sung Mass, even on the lesser days. The stages in Musicam Sacram were clearly meant to be steps in achieving this end.
  • You know I spoke to a canon lawyer about the ideas in Musicam Sacram. I told him that until one hymn is sung the dialogues of the Mass have to be sung. He smiled and offered me a link to his web page on Canon Law and an article he wrote several years ago about the codification of Canon Law and as an aside the almost impossible task of doing the same for Liturgical Law. Oh well, we must rely on the USCCB. What I remember from my very quick reading of Sing to the Lord is that it sounds better than past documents concerning the liturgy.
  • mahrt
    There is a bit of a tautology in Musicam Sacram: it clearly says that the first level must be implemented before the second and third can be; i.e., the dialogues between the priest and people, the Sanctus and the Lord's Prayer must be in place before introducing the singing of the rest of the ordinary or the proper. This seems quite strict, until you read par. 36, which says "There is no reason why some of the Proper or Ordinary should not be sung in said Masses. But what determines whether it is a said or sung Mass? Whether the priest sings his parts. This seems to be a bit of an "out" for cases where it is not possible to persuade the priest to sing his parts.
  • miacoyne
    One of the pastor in this area asked me how he could bring more sacred music in the liturgy in his parish. (we had about an our meeting.) With a smile I politely said, 'Father, you have to chant your parts first, then the congregation will chant their parts" I showed him the link where he can listen and learn. (also invited him and the music director to the Colloquium) Next day a different priest, his friend, came to celebrate the Mass and chanted entrance and many other simple parts. I mentioned it to him, and he says" first degree!"

Another pastor told us, the schola, to sing 'Amen' after the doxology, so I politely said it would be a great help to the congregation , if he chants his part. He first said he didn't know how, but once he tried with my minimum help, he just automatically remembered. He seemed to gain a lot of confidence that he can do it more than he think.

I think most of the priests would like to have congregation sing in OF. Somehow they got this wrong idea of keep pushing many hymns in the liturgy hoping some will sing. But they don't seem to realize that they have to chant their parts first to do so. I hope music directors, those who are interested in having the congregation sing, save time from looking for hymns every week, but spend time helping the priests chant his parts. Starting with a small part that they know seemed to help the reluctant priests. (most of them seemed to need some private lessons also.)
  • I know that I have said this before, but the curse many of us are saddled with is the firmly implanted idea that the most important part of the Mass to be sung is the responsorial psalm.

In earlier days, if you did not have the people to sing the Mass, you didn't sing the Mass. Today we are saddled with cantors, organists and music directors who think that the main reason for their participation in the Mass is to play and sing the responsorial psalm, no matter how badly it is sung. Cantors sing, stop, stumble, verbally apologize to the congregation while singing (Sorry!) and disrupt the Mass by their presence.

Surely, adhering to the degrees set forth would solve many problems, though it will take education and promotion to make this happen.
  • So we come to the priest and how important it is for the priest to sing his parts of the Mass. In Detroit we have Archbishop Allen Vigneran who does indeed sing the priestly chants of the Mass, at least when he comes to the seminary he does. I work with my seminarian students on their chants and encourage them to sing, well actually I just assume they will when they become priests and speak to them that way and teach them with that in mind. Many want to sing, they also want better musical liturgy and so we try to help them as best we can.
  • I'm in a situation similar to Ruth's. I too am a seminary instructor, training men to chant their parts (according to the new missal). I include references to Musicam sacram and other documents that emphasize the importance of the priest leading by example. Several of the men are becoming quite good at chanting, and I'm doing what I can to encourage those who aren't quite as adept to keep it up, and that it's more important that they do what is asked of them by the Church, more than to have an "opera star" voice.

It is unfortunate that the seminary where I teach really has no sacred music program to speak of, and recent attempts to start one, including a schola, were unproductive and ultimately failed.

I'm in the same archdiocese as Ruth, and I can attest to the fact that our Archbishop, Allen Vigneron (you may recognize his name as the former Auxiliary of Los Angeles) does indeed sing the dialogues when he celebrates, regardless of where. (He was just at our parish twice, once to celebrate the sacrament of confirmation).

My own Pastor (and boss) asked me if I would be able to teach him the new dialogues, etc., from the new missal before next Advent, and I assured him that I will make myself as available as necessary to help him re-learn the chants. He has hopes that the new missal will help bring about change in the parish, and I keep telling him that he must lead by example. The deleterious effects of the "season of silliness" aren't going to go away on their own, and I remind him of that at every opportunity.