More ICEL music
  • Perhaps I missed a discussion or announcement—perhaps they were there the whole time—, but I just noticed that Music for the Roman Missal on the I.C.E.L. website now has more than just the Ordinary. A majority of the music is for the prefaces, but there are a few other things too.
  • RobertRobert
    I imagine that people here may have something to say about the vernacular adaptations of "Gloria laus et honor," "Ubi Caritas" and "Crux Fidelis." Like most of the vernacular chant genre, I suspect that how successful it is depends a lot on how you sing it.

"Faithful cross the saints rely on . . . Never was there such a scion": does that work?

I'll admit it, I had to look up "scion"
  • francis
    and dont tell praytell and mr inwood, but i spotted a torculus in the crux!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That's an odd use of the word scion. It means branch, so could refer to the cross. (Contexually, that makes sense).
    But it usually means branch, as in heir or descendant. In other words- Jesus.
    Very confusing.
    Sounds like someone was playing around with a rhyming thesaurus.
  • DougS
    ...or they just bought a new tC.
  • But..but..we gots the Catholite translation because those dirty Catholyc fakers the Anglicans use teh big words like "Paraclete" so we can't steal from them. If we gots to sing "scion", what's next, "consubstantial"?
    Seriously, though, this looks like good and useful stuff. But somebody put me some knowledge on the issues of licitude...if I decided I liked an A-C version better and used that, would I go to Hell?
  • francis
    Versions do not send you to hell. Sin will, however.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Versions do not send you to hell.

They do if you use Microsoft products.
  • Seriously, I thought the reason "we" didn't steal from the A-Cs back in the 60s was to avoid thees, thous and big words. If we're going to sling around "scion" (a word that nobody but nurserymen use in real life), then the game's up, and we'd might as well use all the English goodies. So, as a serious question, is Crux Fidelis part of the Good Friday liturgy in OF (it is in the A-Cs, but I don't have an OF Missal at hand)? And if so, is it permitted to use a non-ICEL translation? I'm assuming that if you just used it somewhere else as a hymn, it would be fine.
  • francis
    Very good Adam. I concur totally with your theology on that point for sure. I always avoid the near occasion of Bill Gates.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Side note to francis, but worth everyone reading:

One of things I love about this forum is that I can go argue with you over at one thread (Universality of GC, in this case) and come giggle with you over at another.

"On earth, peace to people of good will."
  • francis
    Adam:

You are my friend and colleague and we have composed and published a 'hymn' together (is it a Catholic Hymn or is it of your religious belief? Not sure what that is yet.) Certainly I must have by now demonstrated my ability to be ecumenical while at the same time holding true to the ideals which I espouse.

And another thing to note, is that I do not argue with people, I simply debate fact against fact, regardless of the name of the person. (or what we believe is fact, anyway)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I am not qualified to declare that hymn Catholic or not. My intention was certainly to write a hymn text consistent with an orthodox understanding of Catholic faith (which is also my faith). But because I recognize specific heresies in my own thought, as well as know without a doubt that my knowledge will never be perfect, I would not presume to declare on my own that something I write is in accordance with true doctrine (or true truth).

And you certainly have! I was just pointing it out.
    In the wake of the unfortunate "Haas incident," I thought it would be good to point out publicly an example of how friendship and ideological disagreement are not exclusive to each other.

I always try to remember that the Angels did not sing,
    "Glory to God in a particular way, and on earth, peace to people who all agree with each other."
  • francis
    lol... that is too funny.

I don't think I have ever met two people who agree on everything, so in that regard we are all the same as each other!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    So, as a serious question, is Crux Fidelis part of the Good Friday liturgy in OF (it is in the A-Cs, but I don't have an OF Missal at hand)? And if so, is it permitted to use a non-ICEL translation? I'm assuming that if you just used it somewhere else as a hymn, it would be fine.

It is suggested to be sung during the Veneration of the Cross, but it is not required. Therefore, this translation is not required. You're free to find another translation may be more "suitable."
  • don roy
    adam and francis
    amen!!!
    i cannot overemphesize enough the respect and admiration i have for so many hear, even those with which weve had..ahem...dissagreements.
    i do know that i have benefited greatly from what you both have written here at the forum
  • francis
    thnx, don. i certainly hope that someday i will be able to come to the colloquium and meet everyone here who collaborate so often! i am so grateful to have this forum when for so many years i was alone with no support from another Catholic Musician.
  • Kathy
    Does anyone happen to have Crux Fidelis in square notes? Thanks!
  • Kathy
    @ Jonathan :)
  • BenBen
    Kathy,

English or latin?
  • Kathy
    Engalish, please!
  • bcb
    Here's what I used from last year (not the latest translation--the source is the Anglican Use Gradual). I've included the gabc too, in case you want to fix the translation (or the typo in the title :).
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Thank you so much for the English square note version!