The Vatican Library - and what a pope cannot do
  • This is of general Catholic interest and purely ancillary to church music matters. There is a very interesting article in the current issue of The Atlantic Monthly about the Vat (informal reference to the Vatican Library) and how it has been brought, not altogether painlessly, into the digital age. One anecdote tells about JPII wanting to return to Mexico a priceless medical document that was taken to Rome centuries ago and being fussily told that he couldn't do that. This is a very interesting and at times infuriating, amusing, or pleasing article which I commend to all.
  • JahazaJahaza
    I think this article is actually in the New Yorker, unless they BOTH have articles on the Vatican library this week.
  • IanWIanW
    Can a Vatican librarian make things dissapear?
  • Yes, the New Yorker
  • IanWIanW
    How about the Tablet? Or on second thoughts, perhaps not. I'd rather let them have their say, even if I'm unconfortable with it. Even if they are ...
  • The Tablet? Them?
  • IanWIanW
    I can't feel ill will to them. Imagine you're a South-Coast, Table-reading Bishop and you realise you have to ordain three ex-Anglican bishops to the Catholic priesthood, pronto, because that's what the Boss wants. It's too funny.
  • I'm still missing the humour. I can assure you that no one, on either side, does this 'pronto'. There is nothing so make-shift about it. I should think that you would be rejoicing to be getting more good, conscientious Catholics.
    And, what, pray, does all this have to do with the Vatican Library?
  • DougS
    I think something was lost in the internet communication.