Are the Simple Propers Too Hard?
  • I'm very interested in David Haas's comments on the Simple English Propers project. In essence, he thinks that they are beyond the competence of average Catholic musicians. I take him seriously because he has probably done more workshops in average parishes than any living musician. He knows the way things in work in parishes. I do think that the issues of neumes vs. modern notes is completely illusory, but his comments do raise others issues that mainly concerns initiative, willingness to learn and change, the capacity to actually carry a tune, etc. I'm particularly struck by how despairing his tone here really is, once you take it apart.

Here is what he says :

Adam… yes, I have been aware of the project, and I applaud your efforts. I would wonder about a couple of things however. I certainly am happy that the amateur choir at your parish is capable of this.. I am certain however, that much of its success has to do with your leadership, and your competence in this genre. I am thinking of the average choir director who comes to many workshops that I present, volunteer, not a great musical background, can sometimes barely stumble through “Holy, God We Praise Thy Name.” I see very little possibility of her, and many others in a similar situation being able to even READ the chant notation that you provide, let alone present in a way that would be pleasing at all, let alone possible for this assembly to join in.

Again – if these work, that is wonderful and I applaud it. But I still do not believe that this approach is necessary and the only possibility for “right worship.”

I am just so baffled as to why it is so difficult for some to embrace the wondrous galaxy of styles and expressions in our church, for which V2 by the way, affirmed and celebrated?

I mean it when I say, the project you are involved with is laudable. I am anxious to see how it is received as time goes by, and how it can be transfered in a wide variety of settings.

Your thoughts? No reason to jump on him for his galaxy comments. He was actually extremely generous in his commentary on the Simple Propers. I'm mostly interested in what you think of his evaluation of Catholic talent in parishes.
  • While I'm not keen on giving my own assessment of the abilities of the average parish musician, I can report that I used the communion antiphon for Christmas Eve with my children's choir and they learned it in less than 5 minutes.
  • Kathy
    I don't know about the Simple Propers, but the average child I work with can learn a Gregorian introit and Communio in less than an hour.
  • francis
    Harder than praise music? Yes, thank God.

He is right about talent. But part of my argument back to DH would be, well, if you keep dumbing down the music so that 'anyone' can run the program, then what you get is the lowest common denominator for the person (I refrain from calling them a musician) leading a parish music program. That has been the norm for how many years since the reform... but that has to change too.

One of the main reasons that amateurs rose in the ranks of Catholic Church music positions is because the music introduced was simply way below standards, and just about anyone with a guitar and a three chord repertoire could find a 'position'. It usurped the need to know how to read chant, direct polyphony, play the organ and provide excellence in the music of the liturgy. This thinking also supports the false understanding of 'active participation'… everyone should be able to do everything. NOT! Another psychological inference is that music NEEDS to be performed with minimal practice. This is another bad way to undermine excellence. "We don't have much time to rehearse, so let's use the simplest music we can find (buy) ". The B3 know this mentality, see dollar signs, and follow suit and immediately start cranking out the bs on tissue paper (excuse the metaphor).

So I completely defend Adam's position. He (and his colleagues) are raising the bar. They are creating a path back to the ideal. This is a scary proposition for the progs because Rome could look at what the grass roots movement of sacred music is doing and actually condone, support, bring recognition to, and even sanction the effort. That could undermine the monopoly that has had sacred music locked up for so long.

It's high time that the RC church follows suit, and raises the bar on what they expect to have when they 'hire' a Director of Music, Choirmaster, or whatever the title is. Every director of music in the Catholic Church should be required to be able to read square notes. A good comparison, if you truly think about it, is like asking any parishioner to handle the finances of the Church who know nothing about finances at all, never balanced books, never used a calculator, etc. No one would ever think about doing that, and yet, the music of the liturgy is approached as something that anyone can do if he wants, regardless of training, skill or talent. It's just plain sin.

Reading square notes is not difficult. The block usually occurs in the moment a person (almost always the petrified incompetent person running the music program who can't even read MN much less hieroglyphics) looks at them and then dismisses it outright. Once they begin to learn how easy it is, they usually prefer it because it makes singing chant much easier than trying to read MN. Ask the people in my schola and adult choir who never read a square note in their life up until two years ago.

So, the main thing I glean from Mr. Haas' observation is that the challenge will scare people away. Well, it's all up to us, the musicians to take care of that part. The secret here is that you will need musicians who understand and want to promote the proper music of the liturgy. That's the crux of the issue. People are hungry for sacred music. Let's stop feeding them with a bottle and give them true meat so they can develop some real muscle to their faith.
  • It has been my unwavering conclusion from years of observation that 'children can't sing that', 'the people can't learn that', 'our choir could never sing that', etc., etc., may nearly always be translated as 'I don't know that', 'I can't sing that', '...and, therefore, you are not going to teach it on my turf'. One must say that Mr Haas was generous in his remarks; but he seems oddly unaware of the results which will ensue from a smiling, determined and confident approach which is accompanied by a priest who is genuinely happy about what is being taught. One must never for a moment believe that the naysayers are the measure of any group's ability.
  • I am thinking of the average choir director who comes to many workshops that I present, volunteer, not a great musical background, can sometimes barely stumble through “Holy, God We Praise Thy Name.” I see very little possibility of her, and many others in a similar situation being able to even READ the chant notation that you provide, let alone present in a way that would be pleasing at all, let alone possible for this assembly to join in.

Are you saying that the "average choir director" is not capable of learning chant notation, or even modern notation for that matter? You compose music and write it in modern notation, assuming that someone will be able to decipher your musical instructions for use at Mass - yet, the "average choir director" is your demographic? If they can't read modern notation very well, if at all, then why even write your music down?

If you're going to say "well, they can listen to my demo CDs to learn my music", well, then they can listen to chant CDs, too (and other chant recordings). Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Gregorian chant first learned by rote anyway?

Additionally, if the "average choir director" is somehow able to decipher your instructions in modern notation, then the same is true when they are simply taught chant notation to sing chant. It's like establishing a tradition - if someone teaches you something, then you should be able to hand down that information. I think some traditions stopped awhile back, which is why some people think chant is too hard.

With all of our technological advances throughout the ages, there's really no excuse for today's church musicians to not be able to read music. You can easily teach yourself certain things nowadays. If not being able to read modern notation is a problem, then buy Music Theory For Dummies for goodness sake. It's currently $16.49 on Amazon and has a 4 star rating. If not being able to read chant notation is the problem, then there are plenty of free resources available to remedy this.

I am certain however, that much of its success has to do with your leadership, and your competence in this genre.

It's like building a house … would you really hire someone who can't do math and has no knowledge of the tools it would take to build a house? That's like hiring a church music director who doesn't know how to read music and has no knowledge of any church music literature.
  • RobertRobert
    The keyboard accompaniments for most of David Haas's compositions are too hard for the average parish musician.

I have been unsuccessful at training a choir to sing the verses to "Blest are They" in unison or according to the written rhythm...to say nothing of the congregation.

I realize that this is a bit of a "tu quoque" response that doesn't address the substance of his remarks. He does make a fair point, I think: the Bartlett simple propers are going to appeal mainly to choirs with experience in chant who do not have time to rehearse the Gregorian propers, or are under pressure not to sing in Latin. At the very least they are going to require a director familiar with the chant idiom who can teach them. It would be difficult to get a congregation to participate, and I'm not sure that this is contemplated by the composer.
  • francis
    The propers don't need to be sung by the congregation. They are for the choir or cantor. The ordinary and appropriate hymns and antiphons are the parts for the people.
  • The keyboard accompaniments for most of David Haas's compositions are too hard for the average parish musician.

I second this, especially left-hand parts with big jumps.

The propers don't need to be sung by the congregation. They are for the choir or cantor. The ordinary are the parts for the people.

Weren't the ordinaries made easier than the propers for this very reason? Or maybe the ordinaries seem easier because they would be done almost every Sunday? In other words, repeating the same thing week by week could make it seem easier.
  • DougS
    No offense to Jenny and Kathy, but the comparisons to children are red herrings. It is obvious to me that children learn things more easily than adults.

That aside, there is some truth to what Haas is saying. It is a fact that there are some really terrible music directors out there: music directors who cannot read music, cannot sing very well, cannot play guitar very well, or simply are not musicians by any stretch of the imagination. It is a fact that the majority of choir members in most choirs are either untrained singers or, worse yet, cannot read music. I have been to parishes where cantors are worse than some of the laughable American Idol contestants. The truth of Haas's assessment is that in a disturbingly high number of places, it's bad out there.

He falls flat when he suggests that one must have "competence" in a specific "genre" to lead the Simple English Propers. Does he think that Nashville studio musicians couldn't lead the Simple English Propers because they have no competence in chanting? How absurd! This is truly some of the easiest music I have ever seen, and anyone who can't learn it should consider that perhaps his or her spiritual gifts lie outside music. It's funny that Haas's fictional choir director struggles through an easy piece. Should the Church really cater to this person's needs?

There are many institutional and cultural factors at play as well, but they are too numerous to go into here.
  • I am personally looking forward to leveraging the audio/video support materials for the Simple Propers which will almost certainly appear once the melodies stabilize and the book is published.

For a choir conversant in chant (either in Latin or vernacular), this music is either dead easy or a little bit of a step up from Mundelein tones and the like. The men's schola I have directed for a year learned the Introit and Communion antiphons for Epiphany in two minutes, and the next eight minutes or so were dedicated to interpretation and nuance.
  • I agree with Aristotle. Having practice recordings and videos will be crucial for the success of people adopting the Simple Propers as their first experience in singing propers. Those who already have chant training will be fine, and will probably appreciate this as a fall-back. But it's the people who aren't doing it yet which really is the target audience here. The melodies really can be sung by virtually anyone, they are crafted with this accessibility in mind. There are 24 (actually 23)melodic models to get in your ear, and even among them there is a great deal of repetition. We're talking about punctum, clivis, torculus and climicus. That's it. Predictable and repetitious melody.

I think that the only thing that would stop people from singing these is a refusal to learn.
  • Did D.H. really say "our" church? I thought I had heard that he was no longer Catholic. Can someone fill me in? In any case, I echo the sentiments above. If the directors he encounters are so miserably unschooled in music, then this is the first thing that needs to be addressed. I'm sorry, though. I think he is being a bit disingenuous. If a person cannot get through HGWPTN, then how on earth are they singing his music? Anyway, I don't consider myself a superb choral director, but I was able to get a pretty average choir to within days of singing the Thompson Alleluia. We only demurred when it became apparent that the tenors were not going to get that middle section. People can learn. They just need teachers.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I think Mr Haas is pointing to something that we'd rather not admit: It's not about the difficulty of chant. It's about reluctance to change. This is a fundamental principle of change in general: The people who have established some success in the existing system see primarily what they will lose, while those who are disenfranchised under the current system see primarily what they have to gain. This is why significant change is induced from outside the current center of power, not from the inside.

We're the outsiders, folks. At least concerning the discussions in this forum.

The current state is that most directors of music in US Catholic churches is not deeply steeped in music education, and they've worked for many years to become comfortable enough with the current popular music to be able to perform it regularly, and direct choirs to do the same. That's a significant learning curve.

Therefore, their primary perception will be what they have to lose, what they'd have to re-learn, and the fear of creating some kind of firestorm with their clergy and parish. Those are huge barriers.

So our personal enthusiasm, leadership, and risk-taking are key elements in having this change succeed. Brick by brick, that's the way this needs to happen. It's painful, but magnificent cathedrals are all built brick by brick.
  • francis
    I think that the only thing that would stop people from singing these is a refusal to learn.

B U S T E D !

Let's say it a bit more poignantly...

I think that the only thing that would stop people from singing these is a refusal of the heirarchy and their music people to teach them.
  • "I am thinking of the average choir director who comes to many workshops that I present, volunteer, not a great musical background, can sometimes barely stumble through “Holy, God We Praise Thy Name.” I see very little possibility of her, and many others in a similar situation being able to even READ the chant notation that you provide, let alone present in a way that would be pleasing at all, let alone possible for this assembly to join in."

It is sad that he has such a low opinion of his followers. "Holy God" is easier than almost all the syncopated accompaniments he writes, so I suppose that he hears so much of his music being butchered and blames the musicians rather than realizing that he is failing to write music that is accessible to them.

Chant is accessible to them since it has simple forms that do not require any keyboard skills. As the choir builds in ability, they can move on to more florid chants. They really do not need to read music to sing chant.

Chant is a salvation to frustrated church musicians who cannot afford the audio equipment, processing equipment, reverb equipment, the myriad microphones and cables, digital keyboards and guitars and percussion to try and sound like the pros do.

Today they accept that they will always fall short in this music. Chant opens the door to them being able to master music rather than stumble from Sunday to Sunday.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I personally am glad to see this discussion progress. Mr. Haas' commentary strikes at the heart of the questions as I have seen it and heard it discussed in workshops and meetings. The "good" musicians are at the cathedral and can do that music there. But the parishes outside of the cathedral are incapable. I realize that is an overstatement, but the mentality at play is exactly that. It is a kind of "lowest common denominator" mode of thinking that has been espoused and that I constantly battle. It is good hearted in many instances, but still does not strive to go beyond the status quo set in (insert your favorite year here). And the publishers have made a mint off of this mentality. So I think this discussion sets the tone for the next phase of the question.

And BTW Adam, having looked at the antiphons, I think they are quite memorable and very beautiful. Perhaps they dont have the Broadway flavor that is espoused in the current "popular" mode of music in the church. But I find them easy to sing and truthfully I love the aesthetic. I improvised on the introit for the 4th Sunday of Advent in the style of Tournemire and found it lovely. And the choir sang it beautifully. And chant and "Serious" music (their word, not mine) is still new to them after three years of work. But patience, a good spirit and a joyful character go a long way toward conversion.

Bonne annee a tous,
    Kevin
  • Mr. Haas' comments are very consistent with his general philosophy, at least as it appears in writing.

Several years ago he wrote a column for the progressive liturgical magazine Ministry and Liturgy (formerly Modern Liturgy) entitled, "All God's Critters Got a Place in the Choir". In it he posited the notion that everyone, literally, regardless their musical abilities, should be permitted to sing in the parish choir. He recounted the story of an older gentleman who couldn't carry a tune who was in his estimation wrongfully dismissed from a choir. The story was built upon the premise that the choir director was an elitist professional and a musical snob who was only seeking quality, and not a "prayerful, nurturing experience" for all in the ensemble. (Of course, any of the ensembles he directs, especially for recording purposes, are made up of well-trained and talented musicians; he would never think of putting his money where his mouth is by putting out a recording or live performance of his music employing an ensemble made up of amateurs or folk who represent the average parish ensemble. Quality and ability, I'm sure, would count in Mr. Haas' mind when it came to his public image.)

What this points to is a complete disregard for and lack of understanding of the importance of a trained choir, repeatedly called for in the documents, to not just represent the congregation and "lead the singing" but to actually be trained for and carry out their role specifically appointed to them. If "all God's critters got a place in the choir", why have a choir at all? Shouldn't the whole congregation sing everything all the time anyway?

As for levels of difficulty, I'm sure Mr. Haas would admit that the whole point of his "Music Ministry Alive!" music camps,seminars and programs he offers both independently and in connection with the NPM, is to train the amateur musicians he claims are incapable of mastering the art of reading and singing square note notation in how to render his (and similar) music in his particular style and inspire young people to sing the upbeat, relevant, meaningful pieces he carefully composes. Clearly his many loyal fans and followers are capable of learning how to render his music in the way he indicates in the score. Why assume then that these same amateurs are simply too stupid to learn the very basic rules for singing 4-line, square note notation? As a highly-trained professional musician I can say without reservation that much of Haas' music requires musical ability in order to render it convincingly, with it's contemporary pop/jazz-style rhythms and harmonic progressions. It's just as easy to say that his music is beyond the ability of many of the people who try to play it, every bit as much as his claim that these chant-based Propers are beyond the ability of those who fumble their way through his music.

I think comments like his reveal the typical, arrogant mindset of the progressives: they clearly know and understand what the people are capable of learning, enjoying and appreciating, and we do not. It is, in my opinion, an insult to the intelligence and dignity of the average Catholic musician to make such a blanket assumption, based more on one's own preferences and prejudices than on any kind of carefully thought out philosophical position.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I do a pretty wide variety of styles with my choir. Here are the genres I have done at least piece from, listed in order of EASIEST to HARDEST to teach and perform.

1. Monophonic chant in English
    2. chorale style hymns in English (from their Hymnal)
    3. Early American hymnody, with simple harmonizations (Shaker songs, Sacred Harp)
    4. monophonic chant in Latin
    5. Protestant Praise and Worship ("Devo" songs form the late 1980s, not the pop-Christian radio stuff)
    6. High-church composed-through choral music
    7. Folk Catholic (David's music, among others)
    8. Renaissance Polyphony

Now, this is only my own experience. But I assure you the order is correct.
  • I have another related question to add to this thread that is different, but related to the one posed by David Haas. Paul Inwood also shared some feedback on the Simple Propers and I anticipated all of them except this one:

They stick too slavishly to chant shapes that do not sit well with the English language. For example, an excessive use of the torculus which not only becomes tedious but sounds and feels artificial with an English text.

While I couldn't disagree more about the first comment (the primary focus in these antiphons, aside from their formulaic nature and simplicity is union between text and melody), the second critique struck me.

Interestingly, early on as I began composing these I tried to keep the use of the torculus at bay because I agreed that it could become tedius given the chosen limits and boundaries of this project. Fr. Kelly, who has been overseeing my work in this, has encouraged the use of the torculus rather heavily, perhaps even more than I would like to. If you look at the antiphons as they currently are you'll see that they are mostly used at the ends of phrases, and often on phrases that end with a hard final accent. The purpose of this is to smooth out the ending and emulate the way that Latin chant phrases end so elegantly. English tends to end with a "thud". In other cases the torculus is used on word accents, along with the clivis and pes, to give due importance to important syllables. You'll see things like "bríng gífts" in the Epiphany Offertory, and "forgét nót áll" in the Offertory for the Second Sunday after Christmas. All of these use neumes of more than one note to smooth out the otherwise clunkly English text. So the torculus tends to get used to smooth out these and other such awkward phrases in the English text.

Now, I think that this can work if the torculus is not sung like three independent notes "ha-ha-ha", but is sung like an ornamented punctum, very smooth and legato, slightly quicker than three punctum. This is the way that I have trained my amateur choirs to sing the neume and the result is a beautiful flowing line that has interest and variety, and a degree of melodic ornament amidst such a simple idiom.

However... if singers were to sing the torculus like "ha-ha-ha" every time, I could see how it could become tedius.

Does anyone else find the use of the torculus tedious in the Simple Propers? Please be honest. My feelings won't be hurt!

If people are going to sing it like this I am inclined to cut back on the use of the torculus, especially at cadences, where it is currently used rather liberally. Keep in mind that this aims at average parishes! The goal is to give people something attainable that they can reasonably sing with success without too much of a stretch on their part. The bar will undeniably be set higher, and much will be asked of them. The picture painted int he comments above is a bit bleak! I wonder if more purely syllabic antiphons would suit our dismal parish situations than more ornamented figures that can be very beautiful if sung elegantly, and very ugly if not.

Feedback welcome!
  • IanWIanW
    As to David Haas' comments: a director and choir who lack experience with chant will certainly find things difficult. However, given a director with some experience, one or two experienced musicians amongst the singers and a willingness to leave the comfort zone behind, chant of the limited complexity of the simple propers will be quite achievable. For what it's worth, our non-chant choir sang the Graduale Romanum Dominus dixit very respectably this Christmas, sustaining tempo and phrasing in a way that brought out the beauty of this lovely introit. It is a little more complex than the Simple Propers (on the other hand, I transcribed it into modern notation, as we were short of rehearsal time).

Paul Inwood's feedback and Adam's reflections on it further illustrate the point. As Adam points out, the problem with the torculus doesn't arise if it is sung in the way he describes. This is obvious to those who sing chant regularly. I believe Mr. Inwood doesn't fall into that category. More fundamentaly, his belief that actuosa participatio demands everyone sing everything (see his wider comments on the referenced thread) means that chant more complicated that psalm tones just isn't on his agenda.

I guess the point is that the Simple Propers will need to be combined with catachesis and training for directors and singers if they are to take root beyond those choirs already committed to chant. And who knows - the process may also benefit from the help of those many Catholic musicians who have hitherto avoided parish music for the insult to mind and spirit it all too often has been.
  • incantuincantu
    For the longest time after Vatican II there were not resources available for those who wanted to sing the propers in English. Yes, there were some sets here and there, but not of the scope of the American Gradual or the accessibility of the Simple Propers, and certainly nothing of the widespread availability that has only recently been made possible through technology and the generosity of individual composers and organizations like CMAA. If a parish wanted to do music in English, they could choose between a director who was trained in organ and classical hymnody, or one who could play piano or guitar and could lead singing in popular song form. Ability to read chant notation or to direct a vocal ensemble in unmetered music was not a requirement for either camp. What Haas seems to suggest is that it is pointless to try to break this cycle, that we should continue to produce the kind of music that the current regime can support. But what is really necessary is new standards of evaluation, from the initial hiring of a music director to the types of professional development offered by groups like NPM. And to answer the initial question, while I think the SImple Propers could be improved in terms of content and notation to make them easier, I don't think as they stand now they are any more difficult than Gelineau psalmody. The latter requires some special instruction, but the amateurs I have worked with have been able to "get it" fairly quickly.
  • mhjell
    As a former clarinet player, in high school, who learned to sing as adult by doing it the pews first, then in a choir, then with one voice class at a community college, I agree that Adam's SEP compositions are easier to learn than David's repertoire.

However, much of David's repertoire is now familiar & comfortable to parishioners; even the return to more traditional hymnody is not welcomed by some. I look forward to using Adam's work.
  • Now, I think that this can work if the torculus is not sung like three independent notes "ha-ha-ha", but is sung like an ornamented punctum, very smooth and legato, slightly quicker than three punctum. This is the way that I have trained my amateur choirs to sing the neume and the result is a beautiful flowing line that has interest and variety, and a degree of melodic ornament amidst such a simple idiom.

However... if singers were to sing the torculus like "ha-ha-ha" every time, I could see how it could become tedious.

Agreed on all points. Treating the torculus with a liberal amount of legato is necessary for a successful rendering; a "notey" rendition guarantees failure.

This is yet another reason why audio/video support materials are essential to this project. It's one thing to explain it; another thing entirely to demonstrate it.
  • francis
    Adam et al

Don't let the chant badger's comments change one iota of what you are accomplishing. Any dumbing down will detract from their beauty in the name of 'accessibility'. The Church's goal isn't to make everything common, but to RAISE and ELEVATE the mind and spirit to God. Don't turn these colorful chants into anything less than what first emerges from your hearts. Let your punctum be punctum and let your Torculus trail off into melismatic bliss!
  • rich_enough
    David Haas is correct in this sense - a choir which is used to singing more contemporary popular repertoire will find it difficult to learn even a simple chant piece, Latin or English. Naturally it would be easier for them to learn another piece like the ones they already know.

If, however, one is serious about cultivating chant in a choir, with all the discipline and focus this involves, it is very possible to sing at least one of the simple propers each week. It depends a lot on a choir director seeing this as important and conveying this to the choir.

Also, I see Mr. Haas's comment as something of a red herring. Besides the fact that much of the contemporary Catholic music can be very tricky (as others have pointed out), there are many choirs more than capable of singing a full set of propers each week which do not do so, either through ignorance, lack of interest, or something worse. I've been in many myself.

Sam Schmitt
  • rob
    Whatever else may be said of Mr. Haas' comments, they're decidedly not a "red herring." Based on my experience, they represent the reality -- at least as to the training and experience, if not the aspirations -- of many (most?) parishes within my diocese.

There are few, if any, paid or trained musicians (except, perhaps, an organist and at least one I know is shared by several parishes throughout the weekend and feasts). The majority are well-intended amateurs who do what they have learned to do, without any agenda apart from serving their Lord and His people. They are neither performing Mr. Haas' music to his ideal nor the Church's to Hers.

But without them, there would no be music at Mass at all, as evidenced by the summers when most of these volunteers take a break.
    It seems to me a glimpse of what the average parish may have been like with only "low" Masses available to express its participation in our Lord's holy and eternal sacrifice. On average, the hymns they sing not much better or worst than the hymns sung in those times.

That said, the simple (english) propers with online rehearsal files -- and other projects like it -- will go further in advancing the interests of liturgical music than any amount of debate here. Pool and collectivize the the limited resources we have available in these times and you will go far in securing your ends.
  • The SEP seem quite reasonable to me, PROVIDED THAT
    Directors and choir members want to learn new things, and have minimal time to chip away at them

While many people look to Hass and Inwood as voices of experience, and they are, we must remember two things about input coming from them-
    1) Inwood has not championed chant to the extent that he must have scant working knowledge of chant rep to make such a comment about the torculus
    2) they have a finacial conflict of interest (they have profited off the neglect of propers for decades)

Can people like this contribute to criticism? Sure, but with very little clout.
  • Mary Ann....

You really have no business speaking about Paul Inwood, myself, or anyone else in such terms.

For myself, I champion chant at every workshop I present, as a key and foundational part of any integrity-filled music ministry program. My working knowledge is not necessarily at a level of "expert" - but I am classically trained, know how to read chant, and have led it in many scenarios.

Your comment about financial conflict of interest is a cheap shot, and to make an accusation of mixed motives as to why I or others in my situation do what we do, is uncalled for and unnecessary. I do not compose or publish music for the purpose of financial gain, nor is any financial benefit received as a motive to diminish efforts or work of other genres and approaches. I have never promoted or hoped to benefit from any "neglect of the propers."

I do not claim to be an expert, and the amount of "clout" that I may have, well I really don't think I do or should have much of that... and I certainly hold many human weaknesses. But you have no right to assign motives or intentions about me, since you do not know me. Despise my music all you want - I am used to that by many. Do not judge my intentions in my vocation as a liturgical musician or composer.
  • David,
    let it be observed that you decided to open your comment with a morally condescending tsk tsk that doesn't work well with schoolgirls, let alone adult persons working in the same field.

I am pointing to the obvious. You and Inwood certainly do have a financial conflict of interest in the case of songs vs. propers. DId I or do I claim to know your deeper motivation? No. (And I edited my comments to make this clear, as well as attributed ignorance of the torculus to Inwood.)

The logic goes like this-
    Propers have not been widely sung in the wake of the Council;
    The music of Haas, Inwood, etc. has been much more widely bought and sung in the wake of the Council;
    Therefore, it is in the *financial* interest of the publishers and composers to continue to feature songs over propers to maintain financial investment and gain.

I do not claim this is your deepest motivation, or the reason you (or any of us) work so hard in this field. This is why I qualify 'conflict of interest' with 'financial'.

Again, in many parishes propers are not sung but your songs and the songs of others are in place of propers. It has been this way for decades. Simply, that's the state of affairs. Because of this, it is reasonable for people to be skeptical of your criticism of the SEP.

On a side note- I do not despise your music. I do not remember much of it. I have not sung your work regularly or programmed it for years, and have no axe to grind.
  • Haas speaks:

"I am thinking of the average choir director who comes to many workshops that I present,"

"I do not claim to be an expert, and the amount of "clout" that I may have, well I really don't think I do or should have much of that..."

These statements are taken out of context, however, they are troubling.
  • rich_enough
    I do not mean to disparage any amateur musicians working in parishes - quite the contrary. Still less do I assign any agenda to their efforts. If anything, they are simply doing what they've been told, which is at best incomplete. But I have rarely seen a parish that does not have at least some contemporary repertoire (Mass of Creation, for example, isn't all that simple!) - music that is not terribly more difficult than an English introit. This coupled with the fact than many capable choirs have not been singing the propers at all for decades now suggests that their neglect has more to do with ignorance than lack of skill.

Sam Schmitt
  • miacoyne
    Would it be possible that modern hymns (I meant any new hymns in various styles) can be given out freely on the net first, like simple Propers in this site and Chabanel Psalms in the Watershed Corpus Christi before they are published in hymnals?
  • Mia's headed in the correct direction to advance music in the church. Mr. Haas, why not publish your music as free downloads and then let the chips lie where they fall when they are then made available in printed form by your publisher?

This shares your gifts with the church world while still permitting publishers to remain in business for those who want hard copies, nicely printed and bound.

You are posting to a forum of many people who do just that and we welcome your answer.
  • GavinGavin
    I would like to extend a welcome to David Haas, even as someone openly hostile to his music. Mr. Haas has consistently shown himself to be willing to dialog, firm of principle, enthusiastic about quality music programs, and a gentleman in discourse. I hope we'll have some interesting contributions on this forum.

Back to the topic, I have to say that I agree with his judgment. When Jeff announced the release of this project, he heralded it with a Chant Cafe post saying that now everything will be right in the Church, and every parish will have propers of one kind or another. I couldn't share his enthusiasm for some reason, but David really got me thinking about this. I'd say there's 2 factors preventing these from a hoped-for wide impact: 1) the desire of people to do these and 2) the ability of people to do them.

1) Most parish musicians don't want to do chant. They aren't necessarily hostile to it, but they also don't have an impulse to start doing it when inertia is so easy. This requires a MAJOR change in parish music ministry. That is something no one will make on a whim, and if they see no reason to do it, then they won't. And the idea of the propers can come as a rebuke to musicians - you mean I've been doing everything wrong for 30 years??

2) On the same line, this requires a skill set that many do not possess. Singing chant is not like singing pop songs or choral anthems. Reading it is not difficult, but we've all encountered those who don't see a treble clef and a fifth line and freak out. Many parishes, even choirs, are not accustomed to a capella music. Developing these skills is easy, but again a requirement to develop new skills is often seen as a repudiation to one's chosen path of ministry. "I've played Holy God on organ for 60 years, why should I have to learn to read chant??" And even if a director IS willing and able, he has to overcome these two factors for the whole of his choir. Which requires the director to have a strong knowledge of the letter AND SPIRIT of the relevant liturgical legislation. People will respond to the propers when presented with the beauty of a full lectionary, but their hearts will close once they're told "Rome says we should do this."

I want this project to succeed, desperately. This can make such a change in the liturgical life of the American Church. But we have to be realistic about the challenges we face and be willing to combat them.

I propose that what would be useful (if such a thing has not been introduced already) is a simple "how to chant" quick-start guide. NO fancy details or terminology. Just "this is the clef, the lines and spaces are like modern music, and sing the lower note first if there's two on top." Instructional and demonstration videos have been proposed as well, which will be good.

David Haas's comments may well be influenced by his advocacy of congregational singing against the traditional schola model (I myself reject that these are completely opposed, but that's another thread). However, I think they offer much for us to consider in how to make this project a success - it requires sober honesty.
  • Gavin, you mean like a Dick and Jane book about reading chant? I would not bring this up on the forum in this discussion if I was just selling it, but I also it for free download.

A Beginner's Guide To Reading Gregorian Chant Notation at www.basicchant.com and an expanded version that goes into rhythm and solfeggio. The Gregorian Chant Coloring Book is designed along the same lines and will be available in January for sale. And for free.

It is more important to make possible the improvement of music in the Catholic church than it is to make money. I encourage everyone to work on basic guides as Gavin has so wisely suggested. I volunteer to assist anyone in getting them up and available as free downloads as well as published for sale.
  • rob
    Concur, entirely, Gavin, with points 1) and 2). These are the primary limitations in the U.S. Church of the 21st Century.
  • rich_enough
    Excellent points, Gavin.

But why do music directors not want to do chant? You mention the resistance to change, but a more fundamental question is - why are things the way they are now?

Thinking of music programs headed by professional musicians, my experience has been that the music is not thought of as a service of the liturgy or as part of the liturgical action. Rather the music program is based on what might be called a "performance" model. The repertoire is chosen less for the text than for its musical appeal to the choir members or the congregation. Naturally the music is not secular and often is carefully chosen to agree with the season and/or the readings. But a notion that music - with the exception of the service music, which is often an afterthought - is meant to serve the words and is a real *part* of the liturgy is foreign to a performance model, which is all most of these musicians know from their training.

Chant is unlike most of the choral repertoire these directors are familiar with - it is humble, more akin to "Gebrauchsmusik" than showy anthems, contemporary-sounding arrangements, or big hymns with descants. Besides being unaccompanied and lacking regular meter, it's less rewarding (or seems so) and less flattering to the voice than most of the music they're currently doing.

Why would you want to change from music you and your choir knows and loves to this bare-bones stuff? I agree - its a tough sell.

Sam Schmitt
  • I also concur with Gavin's points 1 & 2.
    Still, I would stress that if we are to overlook the role of publishers and composers (also liturgists at odds with Council directives) in getting us to this point, I daresay we are ignoring the elephant in the living room.

I'm not all that concerned in assigning blame to the past, but I think these issues are entirely relevant to allowing and encouraging
    authentic reform to finally happen *now* in terms of sacred music and the primacy of chant.
  • CharlesW
    I also don't think it's an either/or - either chant, or something else. It can be both. I think some are so fond of neumes, they would rather see chant die than write it in modern notation for the benefit of the average choir or congregation. Granted, the average choir may not sing all the nuances the near-professionals are able to sing from the neumes. But it will be chant.

Also, some are attached to propers to the point of near idolatry. Propers are great, but a mass can be quite valid without them. I use them where I can, but I don't do all of them. The pastor prefers an opening hymn rather than an introit, so I have to work within that. He does sign my check, and that matters. But he does let me slip introits in as preludes from time to time.

I love chant as much as anyone. However, there is too much of the "my way or not at all" sentiment in the chant camp. I don't think that serves the cause very well.
  • As someone who has worked in several parishes, and led several workshops on chant, I wonder if anyone else shares this observation:

Where people say chant can't be sung by average directors, singers, and faithful, it doesn't happen.

Conversely, where people say chant can be sung by average directors, singers, and faithful, it (somehow!) does happen.

Now isn't that a funny thing?
  • CharlesW
    I don't think it's funny, but is more a case of human nature. Chant can be sung by the average. But changing from the norm of the last 40 years, does have to be done gradually in many places. I know musicians who have lost jobs from trying to do too much, too fast. It helps to take a longer view while keeping goals in sight. If liturgical reform takes 5 years instead of 1, that's OK with me.
  • CharlesW makes an excellent point. The dearth of sung propers at the parish by which I am currently employed has nothing to do with a lack of talent on the part of the choir, nor (hopefully!) in the director. Nor is there a lack of interest on my part. The simple but unfortunate truth is that the pastor is absolutely opposed to the idea of the choir singing the propers, in any form or language, due to the inability of the congregation to "participate." Even the simple antiphons like those found in the SEP would not be an option. Any, and I mean ANY new music, including the simplest responsorial psalm refrain, must be prepared for by three consecutive weeks of pre-liturgy rehearsal with the congregation. It is incredibly frustrating, but, as CharlesW stated, he is the one who signs the checks.
  • Simple Propers

"We learn the introit at 8:27, the offertory at 8:29, and the communion -- very quietly -- during the homily."

In comparison, Gather Us In:

Vs. 1 - 9 9 10 10 10 9 10 10
    Vs. 2 - 10 10 10 10 10 9 10 10
    Vs. 3 - 10 10 10 10 10 9 10 10
    Vs. 4 - 10 11 10 9 10 9 10 9
  • Mary Ann.. please accept my apology. I should not have responded in the way that I did. My Italian temper got the best of me.

However - I would still challenge your logic. For Paul Inwood, the logic is really flawed, since he has been the main engine of the PSALITE project, which he and his colleagues have been working on for the past few years, and is inspired and in response to trying to discover some creative approaches to the Propers. So how can this be a conflict of interest for him? For me, I have not ever been part of a Propers project, but I have presented and promoted much of the work of PSALITE, the work of Paul Ford in By Flowing Waters, the recent resources by Paul Tate and Ken Macek in this area - so again, if I were concerned with a conflict of interest, why would I be promoting such things.

I agree that the percentage of things published has not favored the use of the Propers. But at the same time, as one who works closely with GIA for example, and have sat in meetings for hours and hours with these people, I can personally attest to the fact that "marketability" or financial interest is not always the primary driving force. GIA, for example, a few years back, produced the beautiful big red book containing the Passion Narratives in chant - they knew going in, that it would not be a huge seller, so to speak. It was an expensive project (if you have not seen it - it is gorgeous, and very elegant), and yes, as they predicted, it has not sold well. But they continue to publish it, promote it. Why? Because they believe in it. The same is true with some of the work they have done with the Liturgy of the Hours. They also have been pressured FOR YEARS to publish a yearly missalette publication, like most of the other publishers do. It would make them a lot of money to do so, yet they have resisted, because their philosophy is not in line with that kind of resource. In other words, they could make a lot of money with such a publication (as misalettes outsell hymnals by more than you could imagine), but they don't believe in it, and so they do not publish such a publication. It would be in their "interest" to do so, if the financial bottom line were the only and primary concern. So, it is just too simple to say that that is there motivation. They (as well as WLP and OCP - as I know some of those editorial folks as well) do not sit around and say "it is not in our interest to publish resources that promote the Propers."

Just for clarification - please go back and read my post. I was not being critical of SEP, in fact I applauded the effort. I only shared concerns about its implementation and success on a pastoral level. I have learned from some of what has been posted in this discussion, which is good for me to hear and reflect upon. Discussions like this are good when people can challenge and learn from each other - but we do not have to get into overt or covert insinuations about the motives of publishers and composers. When I read the post that you made to which I made my original response, and in your response to my response - that stil seems lurking. I have learned some things in this discussion, that provide food for thought. I would hope that all would desire such openness.

Again - I am sorry for the tone of my previous post.

God bless you, and everyone else here. Happy New Year!
  • They also have been pressured FOR YEARS to publish a yearly missalette publication, like most of the other publishers do. It would make them a lot of money to do so, yet they have resisted, because their philosophy is not in line with that kind of resource. In other words, they could make a lot of money with such a publication (as misalettes outsell hymnals by more than you could imagine), but they don't believe in it, and so they do not publish such a publication.

It is disturbing how Silent Night et all are thrown out year after year in missalettes.
  • francis
    A couple of things.

Charles said this, but it is important to note: you don't have to do the propers cold turkey. We rarely do the introit because it really is a jolt the present model. Therefore we reserve the introit for high feast days, beginning of liturgical seasons, etc. The offertory and communion antiphons don't really have to monopolize those parts of the mass. We sing the offertory Immediately after the POTF, which leaves plenty of time for a hymn or a motet. Same goes for communion. We sing the Antiphon as the priest drinks from the cup.

We have been doing the AUG for about a year (however, I usually adjust the text so that it is in modern English). The choir is to the point of sight singing them once. It is that simple. So I don't buy the fact that this would be a major shift or burden. It isn't. It is actually quite easy.

Sometimes we don't do them at all, but most of the time we do. Also, the choir doesnt have do them all the time either. Sometimes I have the cantor do them.

The best part about them is that they accentuate the theme of the day and allow people to reflect on key parts of the readings. What's not to like about the Propers! Jump in and stop bickering about them. They are our patrimony! They are a very natural part of the liturgical ambiance that wonderfully marries music to text.
  • Mr. Haas, in the spirit of the evening, I wish you a Happy New Year. We can be a cantankerous bunch here, but it's only because we believe strongly in our mission. Please stick around and contribute to our discussions as you have here.
  • I'm sorry I'm late to this. There was a bit of a dust up on the Cafe today too. Somehow I do think these exchanges are all to the good. We are all musicians, all Catholics, and in one way or another all involved in the same world of work and prayer. It's good for us to talk openly and honestly.

Happy New Year to one and all. and for those of us doing the OF Epiphany on Sunday, we have some very groovy propers awaiting us!
  • Blaise
    May I kindly suggest that the MusicaSacra develop some kind of private messaging system, so that if members have a beef with each other other, they can send it in private, as opposed to airing in out in open forum?
  • chonakchonak
    The "whisper" option on the forum offers one way to send a private message.