I've got a bad feeling about this . . .
  • Last night I received an email regarding a "Welcoming The New Roman Missal" program being launched by the Archdiocese of Detroit. The email included a .pdf of the brochure being circulated to advertise the events being held at parishes around the archdiocese.

It is chock full of the usual buzzwords that tell me this is going to be a blitz on the part of the progressives in an attempt to derail any positive advances in improving the reverence and dignity of the Mass by suggesting through example and action that the "highbrow" language objected to by the likes of H.E. Donald Trautmann can be overcome by, inter alia, continuing to inject the Mass with insipid, poorly-crafted, overly-commercialized music.

"But David, but David. . ." No, I'm not over-reacting. How do I know? Here's a direct quote describing the session being held especially for "musicians":

Musicians will have the opportunity to hear and sing some of the new music that has been created. Various music publishers will be present.

Quod erat demonstrandum, I think.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Go.
    Make copies of new ICEL, with link urls for the CMAA vids on the bottom.
    Lots of copies.
    Share during breaks.
    Ask lots of questions.
    Be enthusiastic and polite.
    If they dismiss you as a conservative traditionalist, give them my email address.
  • I am trying to get my parish to ignore the usual drek from OCP, GIA and WLP and do what Adam Wood suggests. I have already sent the ICEL settings, along with the CMAA tutorials, to my parochial vicar and our choir director. My PV loves the work that CMAA has done.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Does anyone here (CMAA) have a draft newspaper article
    that we could hone in this Forum Discussion
    and then shop around to the diocesan newspapers?

We already have mind-share competition in the news ...
    http://www.catholicvoiceoakland.org/2010/10-04/inthisissue1.htm
  • Adam,

Thank you, I was actually planning on doing just that, (except giving them your email address).

I've already discussed with the Pastor what I plan on doing next Advent: We'll print up large pew cards on heavy duty card stock that will have Richard Rice's Mass on one side, and the ICEL chants together with another setting (in Latin) from the Kyriale on the other.

I've started my list of questions. I'm going to do my level best to be very "upbeat" (one of their favorite terms to describe the right kind of music) and positive. The Archdiocese of Detroit is pretty badly hollowed out and Balkanized in terms of music and liturgy, so it won't be easy. The folks in the worship office at the AOD are all very much "on board" with the whole NPM crowd, and I'm likely to be quickly categorized.
  • Here is the link to the Archdiocese of Detroit's "Welcoming the Roman Missal" program. I pray that the people in charge of these sessions will receive God's grace to lead us to the new Missal in a way that will bring beauty and decorum to our worship. I pray for their success. I pray that the rich traditions of our music will have an honest presentation.

http://www.aodonline.org/AODOnline/Offices+and+Ministries+12009/Parish+Life+and+Services+12112/Worship+6905/Roman+Missal+18576/Welcoming.htm
  • dad29
    The Archdiocese of Detroit is pretty badly hollowed out and Balkanized in terms of music and liturgy,

But isn't SHMS providing a counter to that? Shenk certainly was solid! Abp Vigneron, too!

Of course, there IS a 50+ year post-Dearden slide, along with the U of Detroit and its female-college companion.
  • "a 50 year post Dearden slide" Not a nice thing to write. Cardinal Dearden was a humble, caring, and holy man--a real gentle man. He truly believed in the Gospel.
  • Maureen
    Pope Celestine V was also a humble, caring, holy, gentleman who truly believed in the Gospel. Up until they made him pope and then he abdicated and ran off, nobody doubted he was a living saint. He was eventually canonized. His relics miraculously survived the L'Aquila earthquake, and Pope Benedict XVI proclaimed a Celestine Year in L'Aquila in his honor from August 2009 to 2010.

But that didn't make him a good administrator or unafraid of the wolves, though; and that lack wreaked havoc on the Church.

I don't know anything about this Cardinal Dearden, so I can't say if my remarks have any application to him. I just want to point out that being a good man or a great saint isn't necessarily enough to make a good bishop. It's helpful, but other gifts are needed too.
  • "I don't know anything about this Cardinal Dearden..." Besides his spirituality, he was a good diocesan pastor and a good administrator. If you doubt this, ask his present day successor on the episcopal throne on Woodward Avenue, Archbishop Vigneron.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Unfortunately, John Cardinal Dearden was a progressive, active in the more aggressively liberal reforms of the Second Vatican Council, and was good friends with the likes of Bishops Gumbleton and Untener and Imesch, all who can very easily be held accountable for the serious crisis of identity the Church is enduring right now.

Here's an article about him: click here