• marajoymarajoy
    we need a topic dedicated to this composer/organist. Super-Catholic, and such a sad, short, life!

The piece I've recently discovered by him is this wonderful "Postlude for the Office of Compline." You can hear the bells tolling the end of the day, and the monks singing the office chants! Just heavenly.

Here's my recording of it:
    https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3vjXx_mTDmrOTk3YzMyNTctMzNmZC00NTBlLWI1YWYtZmFmODg4ZjBhMjBk&hl=en
    (sorry it's not easier to access.)
  • A hyperlink. (The second one today!)
  • A small selection of works by Alain from the Werner Icking Music Archive.
  • Marvelous, Marajoy. Thank you.
  • GavinGavin
    There was a book I saw this summer, when I was studying Alain in Holland, which contains all of Alain's writings and letters AND his drawings. Very interesting book (which is entirely in French), and he sounds like a man with a fantastic sense of humor - as his music bears out. I don't recall the name of the book, maybe someone here can mention it (or I can get out of my chair and find it in my notes!)
  • kevinfkevinf
    Had the good fortune to take some lessons with his sister Marie-Claire. I studied le jardin suspendu and Litanies with her.I will look for my notes from her discussions to a group of us made back in the 1980's. She spoke some about him.
  • marajoymarajoy
    The University of Michigan has just released a website with a variety of his pieces recorded on various organs by their students in honor of the centennial of the Alain's birth.
    Alain