Vandalism to the CMAA books? . . . or marking "white notes" ?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Some of the pages of the CMAA 1961 Graduale Romanum appear to have been vandalized . . .

. . . or were they?

read more
  • I don't know about vandalized. Those are W. Mahrt's marks!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I always like Jeff O's sensationalist tabloid headlines for arcane musicological issues.
    "SCANDAL! Dead monk from a long time ago does something mildly interesting to a handful of people! Details at 11!"

Love it.
  • mahrt
    I am sorry that these marks were in the book we used for the web site. Here is where they came from: The Vatican Edition of 1908 did not have rhythmic signs; Solesmes published a separate edition with signs, but a team of German scholars published their own edition with their own rhythmic signs. These were Karl Gustav Fellerer, Johannes Overath, and Urbanus Bomm, O.S.B. It was published by Schwann in Düsseldorf. I inherited this edition when I took over the choir which I still direct (which was in 1964). The longer we used that edition, the more difficult it would have been to change; in fact several singers have most of the melodies from memory, complete with the Schwann rhythms. Occasionally we would have to sing from a book with Solesmes marks, in which case we marked in pencil the signs from the Schwann edition, which is what Jeff found.
  • Dr. Mahrt,

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised to find out how much we learn from situations like this. Thank you.
  • Kathy
    I'd really like to know what that slash in the top staff means. I was working on this piece with a student today and we didn't know how to read the note. Is it dotted, and what does the slash mean?
  • eft94530eft94530
    This website (www.musicasacra.com) has ...

Graduale 1871
    Graduale 1908
    Graduale 1961
    Gregorian Missal 1990

Download all of them and compare?