English Chant Mass • New Translation • Richard Rice • Practice Videos
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Richard Rice has composed an ENGLISH CHANT MASS that uses the New ICEL Translation of the Mass.

PRACTICE VIDEOS

KYRIE • Vimeo VersionYouTube Version

GLORIA • Vimeo VersionYouTube Version

CREDO (Creed) • Vimeo VersionYouTube Version

SANCTUS (Holy, Holy, Holy) • Vimeo VersionYouTube Version

AGNUS DEI (Lamb of God) • Vimeo VersionYouTube Version

PREVIEW SCORE (Organ accompaniment & Chant notation)

The entire score can be downloaded for free at Richard Rice's Homepage.
  • Absolutely wonderful. This is so great that you did this for Richard.
  • Very, very nicely done - deserves without a doubt to be a part of the core repertoire. Thank you, Richard!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Jeffrey, I was glad to help, in a small way. His work is truly amazing.
  • incantuincantu
    Fantastic -- a real gift. I think this is the winner so far for me as far as Credos are concerned. I can really see it being used. I also love that the accompaniment is conceived to be truly optional. This Mass could be done with full choir and organist, with cantor and congregation without an organist, etc. The only thing that is essential is the singing of the people, which I think should be the true test for "active participation" (and one that no other setting of the new translation from a major publisher would pass right now).

I'm still perplexed by the form of the Kyrie, though. It seems like it's either intended to be sung straight through by everyone or that it excludes the congregation altogether. I don't really see any opportunity for the traditional method of alternation. I suppose on could sing each invocation 6 times, but that seems both impractical and excessively long. One could alternate after each invocation, but there is no repeated material to help the congregation (they would either have to be strong readers or it would have to be memorized). In a model that goes choir-congregation-choir or cantor-congregation-choir I can imagine the third invocation having different material, since it is sung by the choir alone. But I don't see this particular setting working outside of a closed community (eg, at a visitor parish such as my own) unless it first attains the kind of popularity enjoyed by, say, Mass of Creation.

I would love to see Richard add SATB harmonizations (maybe even two: one simple, one polyphonic) of alternating sections of the Gloria and maybe even a simple falsobordone for the choir sections of the Credo. The Sanctus could have an alternate festive accompaniment, perhaps with the melody in pedal reeds. This is really a setting that could grow with a parish over time.
  • incantuincantu
    Jeff O -- I didn't listen to all of these yet, but the recording doesn't agree with the climacus (and written the same way in the organ score) on "O God, al-MIGHT-y Father" in the Gloria.
  • Yes, the Credo is the real winner here. I can imagine that this would introduce any congregation into singing the Credo for the first time.
  • I think these will work well in many parishes. I do wish, however, that the "people's part" in modern notation be included too.
  • I was looking forward to seeing this ever since this year's Colloquium and hope to start using it when the new translations come into effect. And now that there are settings for both the current and the new translations, I can flatten the congregation's learning curve by using the current versions to teach the melodies now, then switching to the new texts come next Advent.