The Care and Feeding of a Schola/Choir
  • The best directors I have sung under, observed and admired, were ones that made no indication of errors during the singing at the Liturgy or concerts. If errors occurred, they ignored them and continued to lead the singing in a positive manner. Then, at rehearsal following, the group was praised for the good stuff, a short, smiling mention might be made of any train wrecks and then they finished with more positive comments.

Singers appreciate this. Appreciative singers are happy singers.

On the other side, I observed a florist-turned-choral director spend at least 15 minutes berating his choir every Wednesday night at the start of rehearsal rehashing their poor performance each Sunday. A number of these singers were in the Cleveland Orchestra chorus under Robert Shaw. They, and others, thought this jerk was wonderful. The choir never sang well.
  • rob
    With all due respect, you've never met MA, the Singing Mum. Speaking at least for myself, I've always appreciated her direct (if not always gentle or even, in the last trimester of her pregnancy, comprehensible) rebukes.

Having been raised in an era of formlessness, it is the structure of the chant which draws me and our director's clear vision -- right or wrong -- of what it should sound like which keeps me struggling in her schola.

Still, it's true, not so much beration as correction. But at least in this time and place it's refreshing to meet someone with standards and the expectation that you will/can live up to them. It is the challenge of the Church Herself in giving the chant and Her other traditional music a pride of place in the liturgy.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Chant schola or choir, I think the issues here are the same. As long as one is not hurtful or completely wishy-washy in giving feedback, so much of this I feel depends on the individual personality of the conductor. A director must always be himself or herself. Those conductors I've had the most difficulty working with are not those who are a very direct or tactfully indirect, but those who try to be somebody they are not - or those who put up a "wall" between them and their singers, adopting a persona that is not theirs. Even if I disagree with the level of tact used by a director who is being completely genuine, at least I'm never guessing how they really feel.
  • I'm not about to say that rebukes in rehearsal are wrong - but that that is the place for them. Scholas who mess up while singing a service are very aware that something has gone wrong, but for the director to respond by visually conveying anger or disappointment to the group is dispiriting,

As far as the fact that she is incomprehensible during the last trimester, I'm not going there. Though a quiet "beep beep beep" as she backs away from the podium might help keep her in line.

I can't wait for her to chime in here. This may provide some enjoyable pre-Christmas banter.
  • rob
    "Beep beep beep" as in wide load? You better start running now, because outdistancing her is your only chance.

Seriously, as a volunteer, the only thing I look for is expertise and a commitment to the holy sacrifice of the Mass. I can offer up, with the grace of God, anything else.
  • DougS
    Every mistake is a learning opportunity, and it's up to the director to do the teaching. Correcting mistakes is one thing, but focusing on them can be detrimental.

Tell yourself, "Don't X. Don't X. Don't X," and guess what? All you're thinking about is X. The best teachers demonstrate how to move from the mistake to the correct note (or whatever the problem is) so that the only mental picture is the ideal result. Diagnose, then treat.
  • CharlesW
    The type of director who is always a pain, is the one who is a great singer - and expects eveyone else to have the same degree of talent. It doesn't work that way in the real world. In a volunteer choir, which is what I have, some sing better than others. In fact, some sing much better than others, and always will. If I can get a happy medium and a decent sound somewhere between the extremes, I am OK with that.
  • rob
    Well said, CharlesW.

Maybe the key to understanding FNJ's post is "florist-turned-choral director."

Does the director allow the perfect, botanically speaking, to be the enemy of the good?

Did the director, before he/she turned to a profession so much better compensated than that of a Catholic choral director, have any musical training?
  • Incomprehensible? And I thought I was speaking in tongues...
    As a director, I am set on one mission- crafting something beautiful for God. The singers who sing with me give up five hours of their week, none of them paid. I give them my best, rotund or no, and consider it only just to lead them (to the best of my ability) to sing/pray the chants of the Church beautifully and with meaning, so they can offer their individual best within a cohesive ensemble.

As far as proper care of schola members, I deeply respect everyone who sings with me- enough not to waste their time. I'd go so far as to say I genuinely like every schola member, and feel an affection and duty to all of them. It's a rare group, though. All twenty of the choir were up at 4:30am to sing for a special Mass last week. Something really good is happening for folks to make that effort, and I am in awe of their sacrifice.

I suspect I am not like the florist-turned-director, in that I have never done anything except music and mothering well.

Any potshots about me being... Round will be taken with a smile, and a chuckle if they are funny enough. I can take it, because it's so funnily true.
  • Kathy
    You go, girl. And I'm sure you'd be a very fine florist.

I don't think there is a single correct leadership style. There might be certain wrong or problematic leadership styles--manipulation, coercion, and seduction are all behaviors to avoid--but there is not a right style.

I think that choir directors should be aware of a certain responsibility for the spiritual development of the people they serve. We choose good music for God and for the people who sing and hear it. We pray with our choirs. We deal with everyone in hopes of fostering our own spiritual growth and theirs.
  • I suppose I mentioned his day job because it appeared that he thought he was a world-class choral director and only had 90' each Wednesday night to prove it to people. He was not a professional musician. Coercion! Yes, that was his style.

One thing that really, really helps is a sense of humor. If you can get around to it.
  • rob
    Everything MA says above is correct; if anything, she's being too modest. For those directors who might not be as gifted, though, I think most members would be willing to overlook their faults and foibles if they could only create the same sense of commitment to a shared, higher purpose. And, considering the members they often find themselves having to work with, I'm not so sure manipulation, coercion, or seduction (figuratively speaking) should be dismissed out-of-hand.
  • dad29
    So long as the choir understands that the director wants them, as a choir, to succeed in their mission: the glorification of God and the edification/sanctification of the people, a director can and should make it clear what he/she wants, and how to get there, and why.

If the choir gets less than that from a director, they're being cheated.
  • Well said, dad.
  • Coercion, manipulation, and seduction? Were you ever once a well-known radio preacher?
  • dad29
    Coerce? Manipulate? Seduce?

I just lay my .357 revolver on the organ and MANALIVE!! they pay attention.