Instructors in Gregorian Chant in the Boston Area?
  • I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone in the Boston area that gives lessons in Gregorian chant for beginners? My goal is to be able to pray the Divine Office. Thank you for your time and consideration.
  • chonakchonak
    Welcome to the forum, bygeorge!

I don't know of anyone whose focus is on the Office, but there is a beginners' choir at St. Mary's in Waltham, led by Randolph Nichols, who also posts on this forum. They sing for Sunday Mass about once a month. That might provide a helpful experience.

(I'll send you my e-mail address in a private message, too, in case I can help point you to other chant folks in the area.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is that the Gregorian chant group on meetup.com?
  • chonakchonak
    Not the same group, though I think the organizer of the meetup group (down in RI) has also posted here for contacts too.
  • bygeorge,

The chant schola at St. Mary's in Waltham rehearses every Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. and sings once a month at the 8 a.m. Sunday Mass. Our pattern has been to sing the Latin Introit, Communion antiphon with verses, and sometimes a chant hymn. We also sing the Kyrie, Sanctus and Agnus dei from the Jubilate Deo settings. (The latter are also sung at other Masses.) I always prepare a printed program for these Masses. If you want to check out the group, we will be singing on Gaudete Sunday (Dec.12).

Having been formed a year and a half ago, the eight members now read chant notation rather well. In the beginning, only the music director and myself could read music. (By the way, I'm not a staff member at St. Mary's.) Because it has worked so well in getting results quickly, I use numbers instead of solfege. Though small, it's a very welcoming group always eager to help newcomers.

After December 12, my commitments at St. Paul's in Cambridge require me to take a break in Waltham so we won't rehearse again until early January. If you live within driving distance, please consider joining us.
  • Thank you very much for the warm welcome and wonderful resources. This is very encouraging.
  • OlbashOlbash
    There is also the Schola Amicorum, under the direction of John Salisbury, singing a weekly EF Mass at the Cathedral. I believe John offers an extra half-hour rehearsal before the general rehearsal to work on notes and other beginner chant issues. They are on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Schola.Amicorum, or contact me off-forum for more information.

You're also welcome to chant with me at St. Mary's in Beverly (North Shore of Boston) once a month on Sundays at 5 p.m. We chant Int./Off./Comm. and Ky./Gl./Sa./M.A./Ag. at an OF Mass. Let me know if you'd like to be on our e-mail list.

Michael Olbash (olbash@post.harvard.edu)