St. Nick, patron of liturgical musical theatre
  • I came upon this passage here ... it sounds a bit like St. Nicholas would not be on our side, but which of us hasn't fantasized about such "strong" catechesis in the cause of church music?

In 1057, Dom Ytherius, prior of an order of monks in Cluny, France, refused to let a musical rendition, or historia, of Nicholas's life be sung in his church. The historia was something of a new art form in the 11th century, a blending of song and myth about the lives of saints. One Santa biographer, Charles Jones, calls it "rock liturgy." The prior considered the historia too fancy-modern.
    According to "The Golden Legend," and a version of Nicholas's life written by a Belgian order of monks, the prior said: "Never shall I allow the new canticles, which sound like minstrel's songs, be chanted in my church."
    The monks retreated, and the first day of the feast proceeded glumly, without the Nicholas historia. That night, the prior retired to his bed. Saint Nick made a house call.
    Supposedly Nicholas dragged the terrified prior out of bed and threw him to the floor. Standing over him, he withdrew a whip from his tunic. The saint sang his historia, while drumming the beat on Dom Ytherius's back: "O eternal shepherd . . . " Crack. "O kindly and good guardian . . . " Crack. "Who dost attend the prayers of the devoted flock . . . " Crack.
    As recounted in "The Golden Legend," Nicholas continued until he had taught the prior "to sing the whole from beginning to end."
    Funny thing, Dom Ytherius soon had a change of heart. The canticle was sung.