Old Solesmes vs. Semiology
  • Mark P.
    Okay, I readily admit that I don't get it on the semiological approach to Gregorian chant. I understand the old version of Solesmes, having sung it for years. I heard a broadcast Mass from Notre-Dame in Paris and the schola seemed to speed up on certain portions of the chant whereas I'm accustomed to a more smooth, predictable rhythm.

So, in performance practice, does the semiological approach mean that certain neumes are treated as eighth notes (or sixteenth notes) while others are quarter notes? I know for experts in the field this must be a maddeningly ignorant question but I really want to understand.
  • This thread will soon become a caricature of itself (A. Wood is laughing now) but as I understand it, you are essentially correct. That is one reading of the chant, based on some evidence. Hiley in his new book says that the evidence runs in all directions (hardly a surprise, once you think about it), so the essential mistake here is looking for the One Correct Way.

The problem that I see in this approach is that it is too director dependent. As a listener, I find it just as disorienting as equalist chant taken too slowly and ponderously.
  • Mark P.
    "The problem that I see in this approach is that it is too director dependent." Exactly. The old Solesmes method was practical and didn't require a guru to interpret it.

I didn't mean to start a hornets' nest. And, I don't think there's such a thing a the One Correct Way.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
  • The entire repertoire of chant for any given year was, seemingly, sung by heart, both words and music. Until this experience of trying to sing the entire liturgy by memory is replicated in the 21st century, we cannot comment on how feasible or not heavily nuanced performance is in relation to historical practice.

The webpage http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3478&page=1#Item_0 contains a semiological interpretation of the introit antiphon "Gaudeamus omnes" which could be sung to a beat. The webpage http://www.box.net/shared/tye5md0clm contains a rhythmically nuanced solo rendering of that interpretation. Both webpages are operational at the time of writing this comment.

The semiological approach is not necessarily any more director-dependent than any other. This is because the semiological approach can lead to various possibilities of singing chants, ranging from extremely nuanced durations to absolutely rigid counting of the beat. There is much about the nature of the rhythmic notations which is unproven when it comes to deciding upon durations. If any given chant is sung to a beat, a conductor is not anymore necessary than he would be for the unaccompanied communal singing of the hymn "Faith of our Fathers". In short, it is up to us whether to interpret this music as metrical or not. We should take into account, of course, the ancient Latin theoretical writings on music (which generally speak of 2:1 ratios and so forth) prior to the emergence of the rhythmic modes. We should also take into account modern singing styles around the Mediterranean of chants whose melodies may date to the same era, for example, Greek kontakions such as Τη Υπερμάχω Στρατηγώ (To the champion general, hymns of victory) which is sung to a beat.

Interpreting the chant to a beat has, obviously, pastoral advantages as such an interpretation is, with respect to acquisition and performance, much more accessible to congregations generally. The rhythmic details of a performance to a beat are easier to memorise than the rhythmic details of a nuanced, soloistic performance.
  • RobertRobert
    I disagree that Old Solesmes is less "director dependent" than semiologically based approaches. Read the book The Technique of Gregorian Chironomy, published in 1955. In the introduction, the author laments that choirs who chant "correctly and stylistically" according to the Solesmes method are few and far between. This was 1955. The problem in the author's eyes, which the book aims to remedy, is deficient chironomy. But it turns out that learning correct chironomical technique for the Solesmes method is not at all simple--it presupposes advanced study, and requires "painstaking precision in pracice and...time."

In other words, if you want to do Old Solesmes, you not only require a director, you need an expert director. Sometimes people talk as though the Solesmes method allows a choir to pick up the Graduale and sing instantly and without direction. It is rather more complex than that. The question we're all faced with is: is all of this complexity worth working through when it's very doubtful that the theory has a basis in the way the chant was intended to be sung? Wouldn't the energy be better spent studying the meaning of the neumes? And the answer may be yes, it's worth studying the Old Solesmes method because the results are consistent and beautiful, but the question is still there.
  • BGP
    I do hope this discussion remains civil. .. My thoughts on the matter are that those in favor of a seimiological interpretation need to develop actual performance editions and practical approaches. We need to restore/establish chant in the average parish which will require more of a method I think. It seems that many scholas using this approach learn by rote and 'lean on' the director and I think this is not good. Singers should be taught as much as they can reasonably handle (keeping them together is going to require the development of practical approaches) I also have the impression ( I may be wrong) that a good many renditions according to this approach are exaggerated and I question whether some of those claiming to be using seimiolgy really understand that approach.

That being said I'm rather interested in the newer approach, but I don't think Its necessarily radically different from "Old Solesmes" as I recently pointed out in a different thread the introduction to the Liber Usualis says that in syllabic chant each note has exactly the same character, length ect. as the syllable to which it is attached. I'm also unaware of anyone marking ictuses for psalm tones, equalism doesn't mean exactly equal.
  • When I think the melismas seem to drag or the notes seem isolated or meaningless then I believe I correct this by emphasizing words and neumes rather than the ictuses. Speeding up neumes and letting the energy get drawn to the last note helps our small group achieve a better unity of word and phrase, and unity is very import in the Solesmes method. I defer the Solesme method but I am semiology curious.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Since we seem to be doing a good job at sharing in a non-judgmental, non-defensive way, I have a question. What exactly would one define semiology as? I assumed it would require study of the "in campo aperto" neumes. But here, it seems to me to be the generic term for the approach used by anyone differing from "Old Solesmes" - or am I mistaken?
  • not that ther's anything wrong with it.
  • francis
    Calum wrote

Interpreting the chant to a beat has, obviously, pastoral advantages as such an interpretation is, with respect to acquisition and performance, much more accessible to congregations generally.

I know this a bit off the subject, but I reject the concept that a "pastoral" advantage is directly related to the ability of a congregation to participate in the singing of chant.
  • incantuincantu
    I have been absent from this forum for a couple weeks and had been wondering why I was having a sudden spike in hits to those old Gaudeamus recordings which I made as training materials for my medieval music ensemble EUOUAE. I should mention that each of the readings was intended to highlight one aspect of various semiological theories, and not to present a complete stylistic interpretation. Please take them with a grain of salt.

Some writers have stressed the importance of the sound of text (Cardine, Saulnier), others the rhythmic proportions of long and short notes a-- especially the St. Gaul notation (Vollaerts, Murray), and still others the structural pitches of the various modes (Mahrt, Kelly). My theory is that although the manuscript evidence appears to point in different directions, the various notational systems spring from a common oral tradition. When you look at the words (both sound, and meaning), the long and short notes (whether there be two values, three, or even nuances beyond that), and the melodic structure of the modes, there emerges a musical rhetoric which is common to much of what we call the authentic Gregorian repertory.
  • francis,

I understand the sanctification of the faithful as being a pastoral concern and I find all sacred music of quality directly advantageous in relation to the sanctification of the faithful. I see the wisdom of the following statements in Musicam Sacram.

"It is to be hoped that pastors of souls, musicians and the faithful will gladly accept these norms and put them into practice, uniting their efforts to attain the true purpose of sacred music, "which is the glory of God and the sanctification of the faithful." [quote from Sacrosanctum Concilium] "

" It is desirable that the assembly of the faithful should participate in the songs of the Proper as much as possible, especially through simple responses and other suitable settings."

Simplicity is not a great characteristic of the heavily-nuanced approach to chant rhythm. The statement you quote from me was written concerning situations where chant is considered by the pastor concerned as desirable and appropriate as the form of sacred music for the congregation but where the practice of chant unnecessarily excludes congregational participation through the melodic line being interpreted in overly complex rhythm which the congregation would find very difficult to sing. Which brings us back to the subject of the difference between the practice of giving most notes the same duration (and therefore a beat) and the methods which use long and short notes.
  • ...the practice of chant unnecessarily excludes congregational participation through the melodic line being interpreted in overly complex rhythm which the congregation would find very difficult to sing. Which brings us back to the subject of the difference between the practice of giving most notes the same duration (and therefore a beat) and the methods which use long and short notes.

This is not true at all, I think. I actually don't think in terms of "long and short" by any means. This seems to me to get closer to the idea of mensuralism. Semiology, as I practice it relies essentially upon a speech rhythm. Does a congregation need to proclaim together the Creed in a strict rhythm of equal pulses? No way. They can do the same when they sing it or any other mostly syllabic chant. The only difference is that now they do it with pitches. It's pretty simple really.

The other information that Semiology reveals is quite helpful for more melismatic chant which is beyond the scope of a congregation anyway.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is it too amateurish and uninformed of me to proffer the following?

Gregorian Chant is not a single style of music, but a group of related styles. Each sub-genre seems very much to require its own interpretation. It seems madness to me to deny the inherent mensural(ish) rhythm of Gregorian strophic hymnody, but some (informed by what I take to be an elitist approach to liturgical suitability) decry such an approach. Likewise, it seems ridiculous that every syllable of an unrhymed, unmetered prayer text should be of equal length just because the syllables are pitched. Melismatic chant is a wholly different beast than the other two and ought, it seems to me, to be dictated more by the (well-trained) musical sense of the singer than by a conductor with a theory-book.
  • Adam Bartlett,

you wrote: "I actually don't think in terms of "long and short" by any means. This seems to me to get closer to the idea of mensuralism."

How long is long and how short is short? Applying natural speech rhythm to, for example, a latin text sung on a single pitch would, of course, not produce isochrony. Current linguistic research indicates that speech rhythm is not isochronic and therefore that vowels take long and short durations of varying proportions. This is not taken in linguistics to imply mensuralism.

You wrote, "Does a congregation need to proclaim together the Creed in a strict rhythm of equal pulses? No way. They can do the same when they sing it or any other mostly syllabic chant. The only difference is that now they do it with pitches."

I have never been in a congregation where a Creed was ever spoken in such a way that the people kept close together rhythmically at all points, so I don't perceive of the matter as being simple. When the celebrant's voice is amplified, this can ameliorate the rhythmic disunity but far from removes it. The singing of the Creed shows the universal tendency for groups to slow down syllabic movement when singing together to a musical scale. Even then, lack of a beat between phrases inevitably, in my experience, produces phenomena such as "D-d-deum d-d-de D-d-deo ... D-d-deum v-v-verum d-d-de D-d-deo v-vero" where multiple singers in the congregation begin the next phrase at a different moment from each other. I find this to occur even when a congregation is conducted well.

You wrote, "The other information that Semiology reveals is quite helpful for more melismatic chant which is beyond the scope of a congregation anyway."

In the Coptic church, melismatic chants are happily sung not only by the cantors, but then the Copts sing large communal chants to a beat. The earliest rhythmic notations of chant do not preclude the possibility of singing latin chant to a beat any more than they preclude the possibility of not singing latin chant to a beat. Consequently, latin melismas are just as manageable as Coptic melismas when interpreted to a beat. Again, how long is long and how short is short and are the monks who wrote about chant prior to the rhythmic modes to be believed when they give a 2:1 ratio for long and short? Very few chant practitioners today would teach chant "plaudam pedes" as the writer of the 9th century Scholia Enchiriadis apparently did.

"This numerical proportion [numerositatis ratio] is always seemly in skilled song and adorns it with very great dignity, no matter whether the singing be slow or fast, or whether it be rendered by one or by many. Furthermore it follows that, as in rhythmical singing [numerose canendo], no one sings either more slowly or more quickly than another, the voices of a multitude sound like that of one man [quasi ex uno ore vox multitudinis audiatur]."
  • incantuincantu
    I have never been in a congregation where a Creed was ever spoken in such a way that the people kept close together rhythmically at all points

We must go to different churches. I have never not heard the congregation recite the Gloria, the Creed, and the Our Father in near unison in English-speaking American parishes.
  • DougS
    If you are ever at a service with the theologian Stanley Hauerwas, you will hear him recite the Our Father against the grain--and in his very distinct voice to boot! But I digress...