Simple sources
  • I have been asked to take over a chant schola in January, however, the skill level of the schola is still very low. Are there any simpler forms of the Introits in the Graduale Romanum WITHOUT resorting to psalm tones? I like the Chants Aberges simplification of the propers, however, the introit is not included. Is there another source somewhere? The text has tobe in Latin, as the schola is for the celebration of the Mass according to the 1962 Missal. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Gradule Simplex was written for you in your situation.
  • chonakchonak
    Not really, Noel; this is about a Mass according to the 1962 Missal. The Simplex doesn't have settings for all the propers of the old rite.

Since the introits are not much more elaborate than the communions, there may not be much need to use simplified settings of them for very long. Would it be practicable to have a cantor sing the introit (e.g., on a psalm tone or recto tono) for the first few months while the schola focuses on the Mass ordinary and the communions?
  • Oh. Must I display my stupidity every day? At least people are exceedingly polite here. Try it. Afraid to ask a question? Go ahead, you should be pleasantly surprised.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear hramirez2,

I don't know of any pieces that are "half way" between the full Gregorian Introit as found in the Editio Vaticana and Psalm Tones.

THESE HYBRID PIECES are the closest thing I know of (taken from 1933 Caecilia)

However, CCW has made available for free and instant download complete Mode II Psalm Tones for the Entire Liturgical Year WRITTEN OUT.

A Psalm Tone well sung is a beautiful thing. Actually, I prefer well-done Psalm tones to badly sung "full" Propers.

• RagueneauRagueneau
    Just for the record, I think Justine Ward also composed and printed compositions such as you seek. Sunday Mass according to simple Gregorian formulae, or some such title.