preconciliar practice for the Ordinary?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    From what I've learned, I know that substituting hymns for propers was a rather widely-practiced indult prior to Vatican II. I've read stories here about warbling sopranos who couldn't make their way through the chants, etc. In other words, as much as we lament the way things are now (particularly with the non-usage of the propers), things weren't exactly perfect fifty years ago, either.

I'm curious, though, about what the practice was for the Ordinary of the Mass prior to the council. At my age (40), I have no memory of what it was like. I'm guessing practice varied widely, but that said, did the "average" American parish typically know at least some of the chants (e.g., what we now know as the Jubilate Deo chants)? Might they have known a bit more (e.g., Kyrie XI)? Or did most places have some sort of choral settings for the Ordinary?

I'm guessing, too, that another variable was whether it was a Low Mass, Low Mass-with-hymn, High Mass, etc.

Just curious… thanks.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I'm ten years younger than you, so I can't answer your question at all, but from what I've heard and read, I'd just like to give props to the statement: "things weren't exactly perfect fifty years ago, either."
  • Average parish choir knew more than one Chant setting of the Mass and sang it and propers by Rossini every Sunday as the High Mass, Usually accompanied. Often by male choir. While I am sure that there were some choral settings sung in larger cities with $ and a talent pool, most parishes were happy to sing the ord and prop.

Low Mass on Sunday might have a women's choir singing Latin motets from the St. Gregory Hymnal.

Other Low Masses might conclude with a hymn after mass, organ played during offertory and communion.

Daily High Masses were very common, in the late 50's some young priests pushed for unaccompanied during Lent.

No one should assume anything about things "back then" - for example, the organist before me practiced on the 4 rk Robert Morton Theater Organ in the parish and on the RT Hammond he had at home (32 pedals), got into Juilliard and is now DOM at the Brooklyn Cathedral - after being in braces from polio as a child.

The nice thing about chant is that any parish could sing it and master it. While protestant churches struggled through music both good and bad.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Thanks, Noel (and Skirp!). Noel, when you say that the average parish choir knew more than one chant setting, by extension would it be safe to say that the average congregation knew those settings, too? Or was congregational participation not really the thing back then?
  • Congregation could sing Holy God, Come Holy Ghost, Immaculate Mary, Hail Holy Queen and....that was about it.

Congregation NEVER sang the ordinary. Though someone will say that they know a church that did and it may well be possible that they did. But you'd have about as much chance as dropping in for Mass when traveling and hearing a Latin Mass today. We know they exist, but not at a place and time that normal people might wander in!
  • dad29
    Frogman's experience is the same as mine. On Sundays, the choir MIGHT have sung a Chant Ordinary--they knew about 4--but mostly they used 4-part music. (We were lucky.)

OTOH, the schoolchildren sang the Ordinary at a daily High Mass. Reluctantly, of course, as the musician-in-charge was simply dreadful as a musician, but a pious and saintly lady.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Sorry to be pesky here, but… if the choir sang everything and the congregation never sang the ordinary, then what's the origin, really, of the idea that the "Kyriale" is for the people and the "Graduale" is for the schola? Was that always just an ideal?

If so, then it seems that the Vatican II notion of "full, conscious, and active participation" was well-placed, indeed, even if the subsequent manner of implementation was really far off the mark.
  • chonakchonak
    Vatican II wasn't the origin of the concept of active participation; the preceding music documents recommend it too.

(cf. Buried Treasure, Susan Benofy's overview of the 20th-century papal and curial music documents for more info.)

They just were not implemented much.
  • At that time, there was little available for the average parish musician to study, aside from the Black List/White List and other things produced by the publishers, which were minimal, so at our parish we had no idea the people were expected/allowed/invited to sing the ordinary!

Being young, we devoured what little we had to understand what our role was, and would have caught this and questioned this - not sure that the pastor would have gone along with it, though his assistants would have.

Truly buried treasure.
  • As a purely personal observation, Mass back then was usually an arrow pointing to Communion and when Communion was received, Mass was over. Communion was the moment that was being prepared for.
  • i have it on good authority that many parishes sang with gusto Masses i, ii, iv, v, ix, xi, xviii and credo i, ii, and iii
  • mjballoumjballou
    I was so excited when I saw the heading because I thought "pre-conciliar" meant prior to the Council of Trent. Dang!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Should I have titled it something like "interconciliar" — ? ;)
  • "i have it on good authority that many parishes sang with gusto Masses i, ii, iv, v, ix, xi, xviii and credo i, ii, and iii"

I have a bridge in brooklyn that we might be able to sell to your authority! Seriously, this would be a big revelation and prove that I came from a hick town in a hick diocese but doesn't explain what I experienced working in parishes in NYC.
  • DougS
    Noel, the phenomenon you are describing (city-hick) illuminates problems with the original question. There is so much conflicting data that drawing general conclusions would be difficult.
  • Sorry, but I was saying that in the Youngstown, Ohio diocese where I grew up, this was not ever seen, nor in the diocese of New York City, where I worked a a Catholic church musician. If it wasn't seen in NYC, I cannot fathom that it was a practice anyplace else but in a very few, isolated instances.

I bet that the Cecilia magazines may have some articles that would clear this up. I do not ever recall at any Catholic parish in Ohio or in NY, except those in monasteries where people sang the ordinary, much less multiple settings. Anglican maybe, but not Roman.

There have to be others on this list that can help. The lack of congregational singing of chant was not due to apathy, this was the province of the choir and little old lady or high school kid playing daily masses.
  • gregpgregp
    I can say that, in the course of living in suburban Chicago, northern Utah, and southern Georgia before 1964, I never once heard a MIssa Cantata. Straight Low Masses and 4 hymn sandwiches.

We have no data. We're trying to extrapolate from anecdotal evidence.
  • Everyone really should read Thomas Day's "Why Catholics Can't Sing". There were ethnic differences, especially between the Irish and Italians on one side (where most of our prelates came from for generations) and the Germans. Practices varied widely from parish to parish. Unless you lived during that time, AND ventured to almost every parish in the diocese, you cannot possibly generalize the situation. I grew up singing/chanting from 3rd grade in the Belleville, IL Diocese circa 1950s. My mother grew up in the Springfield Diocese in the 1930s, and she had the same experience. Maybe we were in the minority, but there WERE parishes that did try to sing most everything, even if the Propers were from the Rossini book.
  • DougS
    Steve, I think you really hit the nail on the head. The kaleidoscopic picture Day paints melds with recent historical research. American Catholicism has always been ethnically and, hence, liturgically fractured.
  • Read it, many of us lived it! (laughing!)
  • Absolutely! After I read it, a member of my congregation (former parish, some years ago) loaned me her copy of the sequel, "Where Have You Gone, Michelangelo". She said it reminded her of me. I don't own a copy yet, but it was an even more enlightening read.

Not only did I live it, but my maternal relatives are it! Half German and half Irish, when my Grandfather died (my Mom was 12) my Grandmother married his brother (a deathbed promise) who managed to lose the farm so the family had to move into town. The Irish parish was more than a mile away, but the German parish was right across the street. That's where my Mom attended, and they had a Knight of the Order of St. Gregory taking care of the music there. Half the family were older and already moved out, and had Irish Mass background. Only the youngest had the German Mass experience. Ever since reading "WCCS" I see this dichotomy in my cousins - those from my older aunts are liberal, maybe don't even still consider themselves Catholic.

I'm the Secretary of our local Ancient Order of Hibernians, and don't want to speak negative about the Irish. But this is simply fact - American Catholic high/low Church.
  • In the old issues of Caecilia (1920s) the picture portrayed of the United States Catholic music scene is remarkably similar to the OF scene today: much liturgically inappropriate music geared to appeal to the people, no chant, and often no sung propers (even recto tono) at High Mass. The 1923 Caecilia numbers had only a few pages of text and mostly consisted of sheet music (John Singenberger's driving mission being to supply good music to the world). The Editor complains about the mindless implementation of the motu proprio in some dioceses - tossing the women out of the choir, but not dealing with the inappropriate music or the indifferent singing of the men and boys.
  • mahrt
    The most extensive hymn-singing model was the Betsingmesse in Germany, where in the 30's (I think) there was a practice of singing a hymnlike setting in the vernacular for each of the parts of the Ordinary, while the priest recited the text in Latin. This was authorized by indult. It was still going on strong when I was in Germany in 1967; it could well still be.

There was some movement towards congregational participation before the Council. The diocese of San Francisco produced a card they recommended to all the parishes, which contained Kyrie XI, Gloria VIII, Credo III, Sanctus & Agnus IX. I believe this was introduced in quite a few of the parishes. When I came to Stanford as a graduate student, there was a choir forming at the Newman center, which sang for a high Mass, using that card and singing all the propers out in Gregorian chant. (I still direct that choir.)
    Thanked by 1Mark M.
  • Mark P.
    In Los Angeles, the practice was to have the choir sing the Ordinary--usually in a four-part setting by a then-modern composer with organ accompaniment. Roger Wagner's choirs at St. Joseph's and St. Paul the Apostle had the ability to sing polyphony and to sing at least some of the Proper to the Gregorian melodies (although I understand Rossini was regularly used too). Paul Salamunovich kept the practice of singing the Ordinary (sans Credo) at St. Charles Borromeo parish in North Hollywood from his beginning there in 1949 until his recent retirement. Other parishes did their best with pipe organs being standard issue right up to the mid sixties and the aforementioned choral settings with organ accompaniment. As I've mentioned before, favorite compositions included Masses by Richard Keys Biggs (Blessed Sacrament, Hollywood), Roger Wagner's Mass in Honor of St. Francis and Mass in Honor of Our Lady by Owen Francis Da Silva, OFM (Santa Barbara Mission and Seminary). The ubiquitous Missa secunda of Hassler was a perrienial favorite as was the Missa L'hora passa of Viadana (probably owing to its extreme brevity).
  • I distinctly remember the congregation at one Chattanooga parish singing the Missa de Angelis in the early 60s, and singing it fairly well.

Another thing I am not so sure of -- but I believe I recall finding, when hauling out accumulated junk from the choir loft of another parish there, preconciliar missalettes, latin on verso, english on recto. Anybody else remember such a thing?