Msgr. Wadsworth addresses R. Rice, Fr. Weber, and A. Bartlett BY NAME
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    In the SACRED MUSIC JOURNAL (2010 Fall, Vol. 137 No. 3), a speech by Msgr. Andrew Wadsworth is reprinted (read the full article).

Talking about how important it is to sing the MASS PROPERS, he says:

Initially, even if you agree with this assertion, you may feel there is a dearth of suitable material available . . . . composers and publishers have neglected the provision or adaptation of musical settings of these proper texts. Despite this, a brief trawl of the internet produces a surprisingly wide variety of styles of settings of the proper texts which range from simple chants that can be sung without accompaniment to choral settings for mixed voices. Some are obviously adaptations of Gregorian Chant or are indebted to that musical language, others are more contemporary in feel. In addition, I know of a number of initiatives which seek to provide simple chants in English for the texts of the Proper of the Mass, chants which are specifically destined for parish use.

Am I missing something, or does Monsignor specifically refer to the work of Fr. Samuel Weber, Richard Rice, and Adam Bartlett (in that order)?

By the way, "trawl" is a fantastic word.

Also, here's a Video of how Adam Bartlett's Simple Propers sound
  • Adam Bartlett's Simple Propers do indeed sound very nice. My only suggestion, however, is that when cantors chant verses, the initial words should not be rushed. I have discovered several examples of "rushed" verses lately and it is not good chanting technique; especially when the voice of the cantor is so beautiful in all other respects.