Pothier's interpretation in 20th century
  • awruff
    Does anyone know how Dom Pothier interpreted Gregorian chant after the rise of Mocquereau's equalist theory? We know that Pothier advocated an "accentualist" or "oratorical" approach in the 19th century which seems to have been based on the declamation of the text, but I have the impression that it was still somewhat equalistic. Then Mocquerau's theory got invented and took over everything. Pothier lived until 1923. Does anyone know his practice, or if he ever wrote anything about rhythmic interpretation, in the last decades of his life? I'm just curious.
    Fr. Anthony Ruff, OSB
  • I don't know the answer, but I suspect that we would know more if we had the issues of Caecilia before 1930. A huge chunk of history is missing (digitally anyway).

There's something about the word equalist that I find odd. In all my years studying under people influenced by old Solesmes, I've never heard the word equalist used. Free rhythm, yes, but never equalist. Maybe this was a common term in the past.

Looking for an answer to this, I just ran across this from 1933 (p. 9 ff). It seems like another world, another planet. Maybe someone can explain this. It seems a bit "over the top" to regulate such things.

LETTER OF CARDINAL MARTINELLI, PREFECT OF THE CONGREGATION OF
    RrrES TO MONSIGNOR FRANCIS XAVIER HABERL, DOMESTIC PRELATE
    AND PRESIDENT OF THE ASSOCIAT'ION OF ST. CECILIA IN GERMANY,
    RATISBON, BAVARIA.

full letter
  • BGP
    I'm not aware of any later writings of Pothier. I Imagine he continued his accentualist approach. Pothier was an equalist but being an equalist doesn’t mean that one believes each note is exactly and rigidly equal, even the introduction to the Liber Usualis (section V rules for interpretation,) says "a single note has exactly the same value, in intensity and duration, as the syllable to which it is united. The approximate value.....a quaver."

I would also be interested in knowing more about Pothier's approch, as well as knowing what early 20th century accentualist renderings sounded like.
  • DougS
    If I'm not mistaken the early issues (the first 30-40+ years) of Caecilia were in German, which is helpful for some readers but not for others.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I love that letter, btw. As "over the top" as it seems, it was probably just someone's idea of peace at all costs.

The more I continue to think about this issue, the more I can see both sides of it.

There are plenty of issues in the world for which we need to stand up with a firm and uneqivocal point of view. Beyond the extent that chant is being performed in a prayerful way, enhancing the liturgy, its rhythmic theory is just not one of those issues.
  • Ah, but 'prayerful way' and 'enhancing the liturgy' are rather subjective reflexes, are they not. Granted, one would lay one's life on the line for the faith, but not for a rhythmic theory or interpretative idiom of chant. Still, most people would probably balk at allowing that a liturgical application of Ensemble Organum chant fit the above categories. Some on this forum, however, might find that such an interpretation did, in fact, fit the above categories and was quite inspiring. Most of us would have no trouble, though, at accepting a now-past Solesmes method as fitting, whilst others might well find it quaint and somewhat stylised. These distinctions and academic investigations, while not a matter of life and death, are of great importance. They do matter much in our pursuit of ever greater understanding of our heritage and how such an understanding may inform current liturgical chant and piety. One might even suggest that academic pursuit is very often a prayerful and spiritually rewarding act - the fruits of which often 'enhance the liturgy'.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I'm not saying the debate is not worthwhile. Just that nobody is going to win, and nothing needs to be ultimately decided.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The debate is important because, once the Chant people (campers?) have won the "chant and polyphony at Mass" argument, and don't have to contend with folkies and misguided populists any more, they still need to have something meaty to argue about.
  • Adam, love your certitude. I won't be around to hear it happen, but the likes of you, Adam B and Jeff MO darn near make me a cock-eyed optimist! And yes, between JMO's jam-packed presentation on Pothier last summer and the letter excerpt in CAECILIA 33, arguments seem to self-sustain themselves over, uh, centuries. Must be an eschatological thing.
    Speaking of JMO, just listening to his Vimeo psalm and GA excerpts seems to actually mitigate a practical need to argue rhythmic absolutism. I regret I can't come up with another cliche than this to illustrate my contention here, but we are trying to teach the pig how to sing; no sense in annoying it in the process. (I represent the pig.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I haven't spent much time attempting to study "new Solesmes" and semiology and all these trendy things the experts seem to care a lot about. But it seems like traditional Solesmes rhythm method has the benefit of being EASY TO LEARN AND SING. If we want more people to sing this stuff, it seems like poo-pooing the path of least resistance is a bad idea.
  • 'Easy to learn and sing'. Now, I seem to recall having heard a few liturgical folk music types use those very words; and, a few people responding with glee: 'at last! something I can sing!' Is this the measure of what we do? Is it, in fact, demonstrable that the no-longer-Solesmes Solesmes method is easier to learn and sing than more informed methods? It isn't! (I DO think that the no-longer-Solesmes method should be taught, appreciated, and remembered --- along side other historical curiosities, such as serpent-accompanied chant, etc., etc.)
  • IanWIanW
    I'm often frustrated by discussions of performance practice; not because they're can't be interesting and useful, but because it's so difficult to establish communication about music through a written medium. When the subject is 20th century performance practice, though, we have the benefit of recordings to illustrate arguments and make them real to us (yes, I know there are pitfalls, but as long as we're aware of them they don't invalidate the approach). It would be interesting to know of research that has used recordings to enlighten our understanding of different plainsong schools. The catch with the late 19th/early 20th centuries that are the context of Fr. Ruff's enquiry is the early stage of the technology, which limited the distribution and utility of recording equipment and relied on fragile media. I remember an article in Sacred Music that made these points in respect of early 20th centrury French recordings of Gregorian chant. Nonetheless, it wouldn't take too many extant recordings to get a flavour of the schools, and it would be possible to work from fragments. So, too, in the absence of contemporarty material, we could make intelligent use of later recordings from places and people we have reason to believe stood within particular traditions, and so can stand proxy for earlier practice.
  • "(I DO think that the no-longer-Solesmes method should be taught, appreciated, and remembered --- along side other historical curiosities, such as serpent-accompanied chant, etc., etc)"

What is the purpose of this comment?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    So many people make the argument that not using the traditional (i.e. Mocquereau) Solesmes method will necessarily sound very different. No doubt, that it is quite possible to achieve very different results when abandoning the traditional Solesmes method, but my skepticism of traditional Solesmes comes, not so much with regard to rhythmic interpretation of specific neumes, but mostly from placing of ictus and its effect on chironomy.

As a choral conductor (more so than any other niche of musician) by trade, I seem to think the most effective gesture one can have is completely logical and musical - without presuppositions on the part of your ensemble. That being said, following the stress of text in syllabic music (of all kinds, not just chant) still makes the most sense to me - and to follow me in leading a syllabic chant, nobody needs any ictuses in the music or any idea of counting backwards - just to know how to declaim Latin - which is something they need to know anyway! I hear plenty of people talking about the result being slamming this or that, and that's just not what I'm saying. You can cetainly admonish an unskilled choir from slamming the text stresses just as easily as you can for overemphasizing ictuses. (And it has occurred to me, at the risk of self-egrandizement, that maybe I'm just able to conduct in a way that avoids this slamming more than the average Joe-conductor/chironomist - I don't know, but it really doesn't seem like that much of a feat for me.)

So, the recording point Ian brings up gives me this hypothesis - I would wager that there do exist scholas/conductors who use traditional Solesmes whose results are more distant from the ideal "Solesmes sound," even when compared to scholas/conductors who do not use traditional Solesmes per se, but let it inform their performances.

Of course, if your disagreement is with the Solesmes sound itself, then fine, so be it. (I suppose I disagree in only one area - undulations - which seems from my understanding to be a by-product of the method, rather than a virtue in and of themselves). Ultimately, musicologically speaking, we'll never have just one "right" sound ideal for chant - but as a Church, we should have some sort of unified concept.

But I'm tired of people saying the only way to the Solesmes sound is with the traditional Solesmes method; and tired of having people make me feel inferior because I think I can get there in an easier, more elegant way that somehow does harm to the Church (or the goals of CMAA).

Isn't it enough in this age of instant digital recordings to agree on a sound ideal for liturgical purposes, and let good musicians get there how they please? And as for "easy to learn and sing," I really do think my way is easier and more natural - at least for those familiar with pronouncing Latin - and, really... shouldn't anybody who is jumping into this chant thing be able to speak the Latin first?
  • DougS
    I'm glad there are musicologists who study this stuff.
  • miacoyne
    I'm also tired of hearing people say classical Solesmes and ictus don't agree with text and stress. I'll not argue whether it's authentic or not, but ictus gives a basic tool to an organized sound. Is 'music' an organized sound, which is different from 'noise' that is just a random one. Why do we have something called 'time sighatures' and 'measure bars' and how do they effect when you perform a piece of music? Do they harm the text? Do musicians give an accent on every down beat? Without learning how to count, I couldn't have advanced to play any modern music or even jazz, (I understand some people can just play them by ear only without any formal training) and without classic Solesmes method I would not have had easy and secure access to singing chant and even learn Semiology. ( My schola members, who have been singing chant with classic Solesmes method, and learned solfege and ictus, are now starting to learn to sing from ancient neums. And they are very interested in learning them.)

CMAA workshops offer chant classes with classical Solesmes method to give easy and solid basics for those who want to learn chant and pursue further studies. Those who don't feel it's necessary to get a special training outside their own natural ability to music, I guess they are very lucky. (Since I'm not one of them, without it, I wouldn't know how to teach chant to children and those who don't have much talent in music.)
  • awruff
    My understanding is that Mocquereau invented his method with the idea that the ictus is on the syllable of repose, not the accented syllable. So the ictus is related to the accent precisely in the sense that it does not fall on the accent. Among scholars his view hasn't held up well - I think there is a pretty strong consensus against Mocquereau.

I think there is room for variety and diversity - surely chant was sung differently in different places in the Middle Ages, even in the "Golden Age," even in various monasteries all using St. Gall neumes in, say, the 10th century.

As a musician, my aesthetic taste says that the various methods should "move to the middle." What I mean is, some of the overly choppy chant with overly emphastic syllable accents of some German-speakers 20 or 30 years ago needs to move in the direction of Old Solesmes, if you will, in that they need to become smoother and more elegant, and not to overdo the rhythmic differences. But my advice to those using Old Solesmes would be not to do it rigidly, not to emphasize the even notes like a sewing maching, and to give yourself permission to use rubato and slight lengthenings on some accents. Personally I think this goal can be better reached if we IGNORE THE ICTUS and just conduct according to natural emphasis of accents and lengthenings, even if it is quite equalistic. I personally don't see a lot of reason for heeding the ictus at this late date.

FWIW, we do various methods in my monastery. My schola sings according to lineless neumes, but we've certainly moved a lot in the direction of smooth line in the last 5 years. Chants the whole community knows by heart such as "Requiem" I just let them sing the old way - even doubling the oriscus of the salicus! - because it is so much in their ears and hearts. And I have to live with them! But I could swear that even on pieces sung the "old" way, enough people have either sung in my schola or noticed what the schola is doing, so that Old Solesmes is much freer than it ever was 50 years ago. I notice this, for example, on the Marian antiphons which we sing after Evening Prayer every Saturday.

I hope my comments help bring about greater peace and mutual respect among people in the various chant "schools" - I offer my comments in that spirit.

awr
  • "My understanding is that Mocquereau invented his method with the idea that the ictus is on the syllable of repose, not the accented syllable. So the ictus is related to the accent precisely in the sense that it does not fall on the accent. Among scholars his view hasn't held up well - I think there is a pretty strong consensus against Mocquereau."

This is an incorrect understanding of Mocquereau's notion of the ictus. Incorrect because it is a simplification.

The notion of Jesus as the Son of God hasn't "held up well" among scholars.

Your argument, on face value, doesn't mean much.

Mocquereau observed something fundamental about ALL rhythm. His notion is not "made up". ALL rhythm, ALL motion, is a departure and an arrival. Mocquereau didn't make this up. The ancient Greeks and Romans observed it. Mocquereau found it in their writings. Since he starts with an notion of rhythm that is objectively true, and applies it to chant, which has rhythm, he applied something true. Whether the idea of 'ictus' is the idea that some/any/most of the chanters of the distant past utilized is an interesting question.

It would be surprising, however, if the monks (at least the choir masters), trained in the classical liberal arts, had no conception of rhythm as it was understood by the Greeks and Romans.

Mocquereau's application of the rhythmic notion of departure and arrival is valuable, today, because it is a true notion of rhythm that allows conductors and singers to beautifully pray and sing Gregorian chant.

As one man above said that it was disturbing for the "Old Solesmes" people to bother him, I'm sure the same applies to the Semiologists, who have transcended Mocquereau and his bad bad bad followers, and come down from their mountain to proclaim the "Old Solesmes" people as "out-moded" and "quaint", etc.

I've enjoyed the posts of those who recognize that there are several valuable approaches to chant, and that each of these has the ability for individuals to pray the Chant of the Church.

To paraphrase J. Tucker, this argument is almost pointless.
  • And, I'm sure JT would concur, I welcome and appreciate Fr. Ruff's participation and contributions to the dialogue nonetheless. Door's always open...
  • miacoyne
    At the Colloquium, you will not hear 'choppy' singing even in the beginning class, though many of them in that class may not be familiar with chants and/or new to classic Solesmes method. And in chironomy class, one may also learn how to use 'arsis and thesis' for smooth chant singing.

I feel truly blessed to have both classic Solesmes and Semiology, and learn both of them, though still learning. I am also thankful to those Solesmes monks and the followers, like Dr.Marier who is in no doubt a master musician and teacher who taught me the beauty of chant through classic Solesmes method. They persevered to restore chants in our church when there were many difficulties. Thanks to their hard work and sacrifices, present successors of both methods can continually improve them to help us to sing chants more beautifully.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    -deleted-
  • I would suggest that, Skirpr, your arguments will carry more weight once you have studied Solesmes with an expert. At this point stating your own convictions and basing your conducting on your own musical instincts is a warning flag...the people here who are the experts are the first ones to say that their "method" is not the only method rather than taking your approach, that your musical background is sufficient to establish a stand for your own interpretation of chant.

At the Colloquium there were as many styles of conducting by the conductors as there were conductors. At NO TIME did anyone in public nor in private (from what I heard) criticise or make a stand for the conducting of Turkington over Ostrowski, for example. There were comments about Ostrowski's style, some of which made it to the forum, but not comments that were negative.

CMAA is not a place where there is an agenda to prevent any possible alternative system from getting in the door. Solesmes made a huge, concrete addition to the furthering of chant by the work that was done. But, and politely I would suggest (how am I doing, Charles in CenCa?) this, that there has been and will always be considerable discussion on this list and when CMAA people get together about how closely one should or should not take upon the mantel of Solesmes.

The battle that is being fought here is not over Solesmes, but over reestablishing chant in the Church.

Personally, I sincerely doubt:

"that even a beginner can count without ictuses, and can have a fundamental insight into rhythm that comes from modern music and is applied to chant. "

because modern music establishes a rhythm that is totally foreign to the singing of chant that is often difficult to overcome even by trained, professional musicians.

Everything that I have read and been taught tells me to tell singers to ignore the ictus and follow the director. The ictus is there for the director to study and evaluate and decide upon - I recall both Turkington and Poterack both mentioning this at XX.

Icti. I know it's confusing, but a Presbyterian minister once pointed out that if Columbus, Ohio were two cities in one, it would have been called Columbi. This however, does not explain "Columbia, SC".
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Thank you for putting me in my place, Noel.

I'll admit, I'm a bit heated up about this topic right now, and I don't know why.

First, I am completely in the court of reestablishing chant in the Church. Let this be a little side skirmish. If I have any convictions about my own musicality, they come from having had one amazing conducting teacher the merits of whose style I am much more firmly convicted than my ow. My fundamental beliefs on conducting are pretty much set, for better or worse. From all that I know (which may or may not be more or less than you or I assume), I thoroughly believe modern conducting and chant are not irreconcilable, and the skills one learns from either are applicable to the other. To say the opposite takes a narrow, but admittedly and sadly perhaps justified, view of modern conductors. Suffice it to say the style I learned in a four-pattern (before I so much as heard of Solesmes) were taught to me in such a way that they look like chironomy in a four pattern.

I apologize for my tone in the previous post (which I have since deleted), but I just don't see the need for this wide gap between modern musical technique and chant. I have the (perhaps naive) notion that developing the inherent musicality of our scholas will do them more good than teaching them the rules of Solesmes. Of course, not intending this as a jab at anybody, this assumes inherent musicality in the person leading the group - otherwise, one needs a ton of rules.
  • DougS
    "ALL rhythm, ALL motion, is a departure and an arrival."

Chris, even if one accepts this as "true," isn't it such a broad premise that practically anything can follow from it? I don't think anyone would deny that notes and phrases begin and end. It's what happens in the middle of the time span that's important, and what any disagreement is really about.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    "ALL rhythm, ALL motion, is a departure and an arrival."

I believe this to be true of modern music as well as chant (to illustrate my earlier point).
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Noel,

For some reason, the plural of ictus as icti did not seem right to me when writing in English. Undoubtedly, you are correct in Latin (and perhaps in English too).
  • DougS
    I don't think Icti is correct in either language. I could be mistaken but isn't it a 4th declension, making the plural ictus?
  • As for heat on this topic, I've generated plenty of it through the years, also for reasons I can't explain. There was a time when semiology got me riled up into a crazed frenzy. I had bitter email exchanges with people with whom I am now friends. You know who settled me down and made me calm about all of this? Two pretty hard-core old Solesmes people, Scott Turkington and Arlene Oost-Zinner. Then Wilko Brouwers chimed in. W Mahrt himself learned chant from a third tradition entirely. They all said the same thing: learn what we can where we can. Never close off a branch of understanding. Obviously, a method is just that; it is not doctrine that dictates how all things must be sung. Jeffrey O further taught me how much we do not know and how little we can actually trust the printed manuscripts, and Adam Bartlett has drawn attention to issues I had never considered. And it is my pleasure to study under Arlene's direction every week at Schola.

For this reason, I've backed off pontificating about a subject I do not entirely understand (moving on to other subjects I do not entirely understand) and hoping that we can put all this stuff behind us and just be open minded, generous and charitable toward each other, and just sing beautifully and well.

I think Fr. Ruff's statement above is quite elegant and touching actually.

If we can show respect for each other, learn from each other, keep an open mind, and move forward doing good things, the results will be more productive for everyone. Fighting is a waste (100 years of this has surely taught that much!). Learning brings progress.

I will add that I have my own biases here. Nothing wrong with that. We all need a framework because we have to sing Sunday.
  • miacoyne
    THanks, Noel. I could not have said it better. I don't seem to recall anyone here says classical Solesmes method is the only one, eventhough people disputed about certain elements of two methods.
    Skirp, It's funny that you mentioned Dalcroze, because somehow I was thinking about it while I was posting above. I studied Dalcroze, Orff and Kodaly and some other comtemporary musis education methods before I started teaching schoool children . When I taught children in the classroom, I had to pick the best of each method and combine to make my teaching effective in the situation; moving, dancing, improvising and learning fundamental elements of music. And franckly Kodaly method was more practical most of the times to use in the actual classroom in my experience than Dalcroze. Feeling and moving rhythm can be done with learning fundamentals of music such as counting and solfege. At any rate, learning those methods helped me to teach better than just doing it without any training.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Mr. Tucker and Fr. Ruff are of course, correct. I don't want to be "right," just accepted here and not having something I hold so fundamentally true as a musician to be considered "wrong" and kept out of this community where I feel I have as much to learn as I have to share - even if it is in conflict with others' opinions built on giants' shoulders. I apologize if in my argument I made anybody feel I thought they were "wrong."

We all agree on the same truth here, lets all agree there are numerous musical ways to reach it.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Mia - I learned Dalcroze alongside Kodaly in college. I feel that if I'm a decent sight-reader of pitch it's becuse of Kodaly and if I'm a good conductor at all, it's because of Dalcroze.

Just my own experience.
  • Sometimes I think that seeing someone as thoroughly perfect as a conductor of chant as Scott Turkington is can be both extremely inspiring and equally depressing! Now THAT puts a person in his or her place!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I agree that Scott is a very good model.
  • DougS
    I am still curious about the answers to the original question.
  • awruff
    Yup - plural of ictus is ictus - 4th declension.
    awr
  • Well, Fr. Ruff made it possible for one question to get answered! Thanks, FR!
  • francis
    I read ALL the comments and weigh the proponents and schools of thought concerning methods. Jeffrey says it best. The more you discover about chant the more you will realize there is no single path, and fighting is useless.

You cannot catch the wind. For those of you who have bottled it, well, at that very moment it ceased to be the wind.
  • And they call the wind Mariah. Francis, the cool, clean air of the west is getting to you!
  • chonakchonak
    As a friend of mine says: if tempted to put a person in his or her place, remember that his place is in Heaven.
  • IanWIanW
    I'm with most of the comments here, but especially the last one posted by DougS.
  • I'm really glad to see the resolve that seems to have been found in this conversation. For anyone who joined this forum in the past year or so you might have fun browsing the archives for all of the very lively and often bitter debate that has been had on this subject. I'm in complete agreement with J. Tucker above. We've come a long way and I think that many of the participants in this conversation over the past years have come to a more holistic understanding of the issues at play here. I think we have realized how far removed arguments of chant interpretation really are from the reality that hardly anyone, except a few rare circumstances, is actually singing Latin chant in actual liturgy! Let's take steps A, B, C, D and E before we start debating about how we should take step F!

A good friend of mine who is mostly an outsider to this arena, but who has a very clear and focused view on the state of things in the liturgical life of the Church compared the Old Solesmes vs. Semiology debates to arguing over which wall to put the Mona Lisa on when the Louvre is burning down!

I think that this is the reality of the chant debates of the past 40 years. Seriously? It seems to me that now our attention would be better spent on the more rudimentary issues like restoration of the singing of propers in liturgy, in some form, or on getting priests and congregations to sing their parts. We have many many steps to take before questions of interpretation of the Gregorian propers become remotely relevant to typical parish life. I think that once we take steps A-E, discussion of step F will be much more collegial and fruitful.

Fr. Ruff's question, of course, is an interesting one, but right now it only has relevance for "chant geeks", although admittedly I am one. But friends, lets put down the comic books and video games and step out of the world of science fiction and take charitable steps toward addressing the real and urgent needs in the Church. I think that getting our feathers Ruff-led (pun intended ;) over different schools of chant interpretation right now is irrelevant and potentially destructive to the real work that we have before us.
  • ""ALL rhythm, ALL motion, is a departure and an arrival."

Chris, even if one accepts this as "true," isn't it such a broad premise that practically anything can follow from it? I don't think anyone would deny that notes and phrases begin and end. It's what happens in the middle of the time span that's important, and what any disagreement is really about."

DougS,

My purpose was not to attempt to explain Mocquereau's thinking about rhythm entirely. I was responding to a comment about Mocquereau's work that I thought was inaccurate. I mentioned some of the groundwork of Mocquereau's thinking to show that it wasn't groundless. If you read Mocquereau's famous book, available for free, you can see that he does address "what happens in the middle". I didn't think it was necessary for me to attempt to explain in at length considering the purpose of my post.

By the way, I again appreciate the voices of moderation on all sides here. I think this is a strength that I hope will grow as we, God willing, see chant more regularly utilized in the Mass.
  • ""ALL rhythm, ALL motion, is a departure and an arrival."

I've probably totally misunderstood this, but in chant, the modes remove chant from the accepted modern sense of departure and arrival that have been imprinted on us by the major scale's predominance.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    But not from the inherent sense of departure and arrival native to the modes.
  • Unsaid but meant, of course, since I am referring solely to I IV V I.
  • DougS
    Noel, to clarify, I think the idea in question is tied to rhythm, not pitch--"pre-pitch" if you will, as rhythms have arrival and departure without pitch. Ta-ta-ta-tuuuum, for example.
  • Considering that rhythm and melody for chant, it's musical direction as it unfolds in time, is linked to the text first and foremost, the ideas of departure and arrival make complete sense.
    One can see that, independent of the newer use of the major scale, and tonality in general, any music which is wedded to text would demonstrate the departure and arrival of that text.
    In Gr. chant, I see this clearly from psalm tones and syllabic chant to florid passages in graduals, etc., where the text is decorated extensively, as if suspended in time, for meditative purposes.

Mary Ann Carr Wilson
  • But meditative and suspended in time doesn't mean that time is constantly weaving through the melodies (or especially the harmonies, if done correctly). Any note on any syllable can have a bit more emphasis than those next to it - not an accent, but a change in weight or intensity. Time weaving through the melodies (straight, equal notes) is guided by the neumes themselves. So I totally understand the concept of departing and arriving constantly through the piece. And the basic building blocks of the melody is always a scale - pentatonic, modal, major, or minor - and ALL made up of tetrachords.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    It's funny... I keep coming back to the point that modern music is really not that different from chant as some people seem to insist - I think particularly with arrivals and departures. And I mean that by putting it a different way. For me, the best performed modern music should have in it what it seems all of us chant practioners musically value in chant. Since it seems my "rhythmic" ideas about modern music were developed by my teachers to be more in line with chant (before I knew much at all about chant), maybe that's why I found chant as not at all foreign as seems to be the usual experience for beginners with it.
  • miacoyne
    It may not be so different. Modern music is also from the chant anyway. But I don't think learning more on how to perform it with a special training would hurt. (I guess this is from my cultural background, Korea, where we value 'learning' in one of the highest places (next in line is kimchi, our favorite food, :-) and also 'emptying the cup ' is the first step of learning.)

(Skirp,it sounds like you are very blessed to learn both Kodaly and Dalcroze which helped you become a better musician. Mia)
  • mahrt
    I think most know that the CMAA does not endorse as an exclusive method the Solesmes method. At the colloquium, this method is generally followed for practical reasons, but the results under different conductors are remarkable.

SkirpR: You describe exactly what I have always followed: counting backwards is more trouble than it is worth. I use a method of counting in groups of 2s or 3s. For neumatic or melismatic passages, the Solesmes rules for this are very practical; generally the first note of the neume is a 1, etc. But 1s should not be accented, and to use the counting for a choir who speak an accentual languages to risk there being too much of an accent there. In melismatic chants, counting by 2s and 3s sometimes hinders a sense of the continuous character of a melisma, and I sometimes recommend my singers count to 4 or 5 or more on some melismas, just to get them out of that. For syllabic passages, the accent of the text gives a much better basis for counting than the arbitrary counting back.