Accents: circulus, semi-circulus and reversed semi-circulus
  • dvalerio
    This question arose at the end of another discussion, but since nobody gave an answer and I believe it may be important on its own I repeat it here:

Can anyone point me to an explanation of circulus, semi-circulus and reversed semi-circulus accents? These are featured in the ordinary of the Mass chants of Anton Stingl's website Gregor und Taube (together with the [horizontal] episema---I also do not know if its meaning in this context is the same as in the so-called Solesmes method), and are supported by the Gregorio project, but till now I have never seen their use described, or justified from manuscripts.
  • mahrt
    Just from looking at the examples, it appears that the full circle indicates a syllable on an accented text which has only one note, but is followed by more than one note on the following unaccented syllable; Thus, although you might count it as a 2 or 3, it receives a text accent. The half circle is the opposite: it marks an unaccented syllable which is counted as a 1, but must be unaccented. The half circle is the mark in prosody for a short or unaccented syllable.
  • dvalerio
    Thank you, Professor Mahrt. If so, would the episema have the same meaning as in the Solesmes method, or as in prosody?
  • mahrt
    I would guess that the episema would have the same meaning, but there must be dome documentation for that edition.