• I had hoped to break this when it was finally ready to go, but now I can't figure out the logistics, so here goes:

For a little over a year, I have been composing vernacular adaptations of the Communion Antiphons in Graduale Romanum, in simple responsorial style with organ accompaniment, to be freely distributed online. I was hoping to inflict them on the world by the beginning of the new liturgical year, but I've hit a major roadblock, and that is:

teh Interwebs.

Just this past week I wanted to get into the nitty-gritty of putting up a website, by yikes. I'm a nerd, but I have no idea where to even start. I am the official owner of my preferred domain name (through Googlepages, which is weird to navigate), but that's about it.

Any advice to a guy who has never designed a site before but would like to inflict his music on the world?
  • chonakchonak
    I think Googlepages was changed into Google Sites -- is that what you're using? You can upload files there and create pages with text about them.

It doesn't offer a lot of flexibility, but it's a way to get started.

If you want to use a domain name of your own (e.g., andrewmotyka.com or something else), drop me a note, and I'll go into the basics. (I manage a number of blogs and other web sites.)
  • I have heard good stuff about: http://www.weebly.com/
  • Chonak, you're right; it's Google Sites, not Googlepages. FNJ, I'll check out weebly.

I already own communionantiphons.org, but my first major obstacle is that it only works without the "www" part. I'll figure it out eventually.

I thought technology was supposed to make things easier...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I highly recommend that you not keep your content at a service like Google.
    Buy hosting at bluehost.
    Setup a wordpress blog there.
    Begin publishing.
  • chonakchonak
    It looks like Andrew has resolved the issue about the "www.communionantiphons.org" name, as that seem to work just fine now.
  • Yup. It's up. The site is still under heavy construction, but quite a few of the antiphons have been put up.