Did Peter Wagner, Mocquereau, and Pothier agree about Chants Abrégés?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    "Dr. Wagner, underscoring the conditions of small Churches in non-Latin countries. where the integral chanting of very ornate melodies is impossible, and the recitation of the texts in place of the chant is no less difficult owing to pronunciation and ignorance of the Latin language, asks whether it would be possible to allow the chants between the Epistle and the Gospel to be omitted. Dom Horn seconded this resolution, at the request of many Germans. Father de Santi recalled that in Rome, at the Gregorian Congress, he had suggested introducing some more or less ornate formulas to which the various texts mentioned by Dr. Wagner could be suitably adapted. Dom Pothier and Dom Mocquereau averred that such formulas could be found in the manuscripts, without any need for composing new ones. DomJanssens suggested preparing an abridged edition, made according to all the criteria and means available today, thanks to which a truly artistic result would be achieved. However, the Commission did not share Dom Janssens' opinion. Some commented, as well, that they did not have the authority for such work. To this, DomJanssens responded that he was only asking that some thought be given to the topic."

"With regard to the formulas to be adopted for the simple chanting of the Graduals, Tracts, Alleluia verses, Dr. Wagner proposes that, to this end, reference be made to the formulas of the responsorial psalms that have fallen into disuse. The liturgical nature of these chants would thus be maintained. Dom Mocquereau shares this opinion . . . . Dr. Wagner, therefore, proposes that the editors of the Vatican Edition be formally charged with selecting simple formulas ... formulas that should be published at the same time as the rest of the edition, and submitted to the Commissioners as early as possible. Father de Santi also proposes that the Commission authorize the Rassegna Gregoriana to publish them. The Commission approves."
    —Pontifical Commission for the Editio Vaticana (minutes: September 8, 1904)

"With regard to the idea of shortening the verses of the Graduals and Alleluias, it seems that Mr. Védie did not express himself well, or that he was misunderstood. He wrote to me that he had simply wanted to say what I myself had said; but I never spoke of abbreviating anything, but I did say that the melodies must remain as they are and that singers who do not know
    them or cannot sing them could omit them, replacing them with organ, or performing the psalms in another manner."
    —Father de Santi, letter to Dom Mocquereau (August 26, 1901)

1. Do not forget that Peter Wagner (and, of course, the others) was a great lover of Gregorian chant. He founded a wonderful Institute at Freiburg (Switzerland) that K.G. Fellerer later took over.

2. It seems obvious that what they're talking about Chants Abrégés, most of which Corpus Christi Watershed has recorded and put online.

3. However, it seems at least possible that Dr. Peter Wagner might have approved of THIS BRAND NEW PUBLICATION