Chabanel Psalms & unborn child?? (video) NOT KIDDING
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Here is a very short video that I hope you enjoy.

The movie star actress we hired to be the spokeswoman did a MARVELOUS job.

If you enjoy this video, PLEASE pass it along to your friends !

Thanks!

HERE IS THE LINK THAT THE VIDEO TALKS ABOUT

HERE IS THE LINK THAT THE VIDEO TALKS ABOUT
  • But is it so horrifying to envision a world in which the Chabanel Psalms do not exist . . . because everybody chants the Gradual? ;-)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Mark, we used to sing the entire Gradual and the entire Alleluia verse at our 1962 Missal Sung Masses.

However, we often got scolded (yelled at?) by the priest for doing this, because he said it delayed the Mass.

:-(

I can understand not wanting to delay the Mass, as Pius X warned us not to.

But . . . the Gradual (when sung well) fosters meditation on the Word of God like nothing else . . .
  • miacoyne
    If there wasn't Chabanel Psalms, I think it'
    s more likely to hear Respond and Acclaims than Gradual.
    Jeff, thanks for the comparison in the other thread. You are just wonderful doing all these works for the Church and the people. Your enthusiasm is truly inspiring. (the movie star is beautiful. When is she due?)
  • Sorry, but posting about singing the gradual does not further the cause of improving music in the OF.

The most successful projects here are one that move the OF from what it is to what it can be. To replace the Responsorial Psalm with the Gradual is a great goal. But it could and would create such havoc that it might verge on creating an atmosphere that is not conducive to our role as pastoral musicians. Priests have a rough time when their music programs are thrown in their faces by the brother priests when people from other parishes complain that they music and liturgy at your church is so much better than theirs.

If you replace the RP with the GRAD, then the camps are separated and the battle can begin. But if you improve your RP by using the Chabanel, then you open the door to improvement at your parish and others of those who visit.

Many, many churches are singing better psalms today because of the Chabanel Psalms - none are because the Gradual has been put in place of it. I'm speaking of ALL the Masses on the weekend, not just a choir OF Mass.
  • Maureen
    This video reminds me of the days when the Scottish Celtic band Silly Wizard was still touring. Right before the intermission, they'd come out and do some funny shtick about how back in Scotland, their wives and children were waiting to hear whether they would have enough to eat that winter, depending on how much they sold in X town. That night, one of the guys had actually heard that his wife was giving birth, so of course the shtick was all about how the baby would already be talking a few weeks from now when they went home, and would ask about album sales too! We laughed, but people did buy A LOT of stuff in real sympathy for the poor guy.

The books really do look beautiful, too.
  • Maureen, you love SILLY WIZARD?!?
    Ach, lassie, you'd better be in Dusquene.
    D'ye know that I "acquired" the refrain from "Jock Stewart" for a setting of the Vaughn poem "And here in the dust.."?
    Let's pretend Pittsburgh is Skye or the Orkneys.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I guess that means the video needs to be renamed as the silly wizard video?

;-)
  • Maureen
    Silly wizard. Trix are for rabbits! (Or something like that....)
  • The new Chabanel Psalm book for Year A, by Jeff Ostrowski, and available from Lulu, is very impressive. And very welcome. We're been using Chabanel for a couple of years, now, at my 1500 family church in CT. It will be nice not to have to download each week from the Watershed site and particularly nice not to have to buy Psalm resources every year. Once we've accumulated all three years of Ostrowski's excellent work we can enjoy the familiarity of these wonderful psalm settings.

My blue-collar congregation, a conservative, growing group, is not heavily into Plainsong or chant modes. When I arrived everything was being done (gag) OCP. The first thing I changed was the psalmody and they have picked it up well once all the cantors and organists were using good technique. I'm sure they don't know these are real Psalm tones and it doesn't matter - they're beautiful as well as authentic and that's what touches the heart. We also got rid of the OCP trite little excuses for the Sequences and sang the traditional ones, and now the congregation knows a few of the basic Latin chants. They get through Lent with Mass XVIII, too. The rest of the program is very eclectic, but the foundation is there for moving back to a really authentic Catholic heritage while continuing to use some of their favorite hymns and songs.

Jeff Ostrowski should be highly commended for this Psalm work. I think Watershed is a gift to the church and would highly recommend their resources. Like every gift to the church, it's costly in time, talent and doesn't result in much money. So if your church needs psalmody, or is downloading for free, please buy the books. It will keep a very high quality ministry in business.

The jokes about wizards aside, many of us can afford a couple of Psalm books. If we want good resources, it's not enough to cheer from the sidelines. It's not even enough to use the materials, although as a composer myself, that's the main goal. But if we want reform...we have to put our money where our mouth is.

Linda H. Simms, BMus, MM
    Music Director,
    St. Joseph Parish, Shelton, CT
  • Welcome, Linda!
  • Jeffrey - your priest scolded you for singing the gradual and alleluia propers at the TLM? That is really odd.