Exciting announcement regarding the Chabanel Psalms!!!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

Here is a very exciting announcement that I believe will interest you:

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT regarding the CHABANEL PSALMS

I want you to know that we would be very, VERY grateful if you could support this project. Thank you!!!

Also, if you are not interested in this announcement, but you share it with a friend, THANKS!
  • Maureen
    Hurray!
  • this is truly amazing. kudos to all involved.
  • Move aside, Respond and Acclaim!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    My friends,

THANK YOU for your support!

That link has many items to it, and I hope folks will take a little time and check it out.
  • my copy arrived much faster than I expected....lulu has come a heck of a long way.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I sent THIS LINK to a friend of mine, and here's what he responded:

Jeff, this begs an obvious question, and people will ask it: why should a parish shell out a ton of dough in tough times for something that is offered for free online? I'm sure you've given this some thought, so I'd like to answer their question without putting words in your mouth.

Here are some responses I think are valid:

1. To support the project.

2. Because it is annoying to print out all that stuff.

3. It is nice to thumb through an ACTUAL book.

4. It is a beautiful book. It inspires, like the NOH does.

5. Some people don't like the internet.
  • I got some sage advice from a Musica Sacra guru when I was weighing making my www.basicchant.com available as free downloads. Would it hurt or help my sales?

The answer was that if it was a good book, it would sell. And the advice has proven to be true. There are people out there who want something in their hands that saves them time and organizes things for them

This is a real step forward! Congratulations, Jeff!
  • Jeff, this is great. Will you be considering expanding to ferial psalms in the future? This has been my biggest headache. There are no settings of these and I usually have to provide music for a Friday (as many schools do). Maybe Friday psalms would be a good start?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Thank you, Michael! At the moment, I am just praying that this publication sells. If folks buy it, who knows what might be possible as a next step? Cheers!
  • At first, I was concerned over the expense of the congregational booklets, but then realized that they are a useful aid but since Jeff O has been faithful to the ICEL text, unlike others out in the commercial word, any reliable Mass aid that they use will have the correct antiphon.

And, even if it does not, the Responsorial Psalm is one thing that the people will listen to and respond to, at Mass. It's refreshing to see people look up from reading the Mass to sing the Psalm.

The terminology used to be that the priest says the Mass and the people hear it. A German friend said, "I am looking to coming and hear Mass." so that was the terminology over there, too.

It's really, really nice to have books to give the cantors and organist. It removes yet another reason why people stick with the old stuff. This is the important stuff!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Re: the Congregational books:

Lulu does not do tiny books well. We make less than 20 cents off each sale.

People are free to photocopy, or place in their order of worship, etc.

They are there if anyone needs them.

Also, it is not necessary to purchase individual copies for every single parishioner who belongs to the Parish. At any given time in Church, only a portion of folks sing from the hymnals. I tend to share with my wife. Just glance into the Church and count how many people use hymnals: that's how many copies you'll need.
  • I've realized too that downloads are great and essential for supplementary materials and for programs and things. But in the end, one needs a book to hold and keep in the choir room. It is the physical thing that gives grounding to all our projects. At the same time, the physical thing has a bloodless existence without a digital version to give it energy and life outside the paper. Both are essential.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I was proud that we were offering this 180 page Organist Book of Chabanel Psalms for just $28.00

. . . but we cannot compete with the 1933 Caecilia, which was 408 pages for $2.00 . . .