Making the new ICEL chant settings ubiquitous
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Well, I just posted this same idea as a response over at Chant Cafe, but I think it bears mentioning here. (And I remember reading a similar idea somewhere, so I don't take credit for the concept.)

In thinking about a goal - of making the ICEL settings of the new translation the de facto, ubiquitous standard Mass setting in the US - replacing something like the position Mass of Creation holds today - one must meet it where it's at. Of course, this music is meant to be chanted with or without appropriate light accompaniment improvised by a skilled organists. Mass of Creation didn't get where it is by a bunch of parishes with skilled organists. (One might be able to argue that the lack of which is exactly how Mass of Creation got where it is.)

So, my proposal is this: that we find someone (with more talent and time than me) to write accompaniments to the ICEL chant settings of the new missal in several different formats (just like Mass of Creation). One could be that light organ accompaniment, another could be tasteful chords lightly arpeggiated by piano or guitar (in the manner of Baroque or Classical recitative). But also, for parishes that might still be "turned off" by the idea of chant, it should be put into a meter with rhythms, and accompaniments for organ, piano/guitar, even with the infamous C instrument descant.

Do I think they should be performed that way? Of course not. But when one confronts the reality of where many parishes are musically - isn't this the way to get these melodies into people's heads to make these settings the new go-to Mass setting that you're sure everyone in the US - or even the English-speaking world - will know?
  • Great idea, Richard.
  • incantuincantu
    I have been saying this myself all along. It's a great idea, and shouldn't be too tricky for those with composition skills. But will copyright be an issue?