Revised Grail Psalter (message from Secretariat in October, 2010)
  • A friend of mine received this answer in 2010 October, regarding the REVISED GRAIL PSALTER, done by Conception Abbey and currently owned by GIA Publications:

Thank you for your question to the Committee on Divine Worship.

As you are aware, the Holy See confirmed the Revised Grail Psalter on March 19, 2010 as the liturgical Psalter to be used in future liturgical books in the dioceses of the United States of America. When confirming the Revised Grail Psalter, the Holy See also sent a large number of revisions to the text, which must be reviewed and reconciled with the principle that the psalms be easily singable. Conception Abbey, the originators of the Revised Grail Psalter, has been undertaking that review process. When the process is complete, the Psalter will be made available.

Once released, the Revised Grail Psalter may be used in the liturgy alongside the existing New American Bible psalter, which continues as the psalter in the Lectionary. When the Lectionary for Mass is fully revised in several years' time, the Revised Grail Psalter will be incorporated into it. Until then, the NAB psalter will remain normative, while allowing for the use of the Revised Grail.

Again, thank you for your question, and for your interest in the liturgical life of our Church.

Sincerely,
    USCCB Secretariat for Divine Worship
  • this is interesting, because just a few years ago fr. Hilgartner was saying something different.....change of regime?
  • chonakchonak
    I suppose that's good news for the Chabanel Psalms project: the current NAB psalm texts will continue to match the Lectionary in use for some years to come, and more time is available for composers to set the RGP texts before they become predominant.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    chonak, I also just recently learned about this decision by the Secretariat, and that was the reason we decided to publish THIS PROJECT.