Pange lingua accompaniment
  • I work as a cantor and choir director for a small OF church, and on Christ the King Sunday, the priest is going to do a Eucharistic procession around the inside of the church. We will be singing the Pange lingua from the choir loft during the procession. My organist is really a pianist who has no improvisational skills, so what I am wondering is if anyone has (or could write down) some variations for Pange lingua - maybe some different harmonizations for the different verses (like the Chabanel Psalms) or some little interludes to stick between the verses with crunchy, dissonant chords in an improvisational style. Preferably in 4 part style, without pedals.

What this procession actually calls for is an organist improvising on the fly, but as I said, the organist is really a concert pianist and isn't comfortable with that.
    I know this is a long shot, but I thought I would ask.
  • Hi, there --

Not sure if you're still looking for this, but Jeanne Cotter has a great keyboard arrangement of Pange Lingua. It's in her book, "Coming Home". Here's purchasing info:

http://www.giamusic.com/search_details.cfm?title_id=8098

I'm a pianist who plays organ sometimes, so I can relate to your organist's plight.

Best of luck for a joyful Lent!
    jennifer
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    VOLUME VII AND VOLUME VIII should have EXACTLY what you need:

Nova Organi Harmonia (NOH)