• Kathy
    We live in interesting liturgical times, for better or worse. So what are some workable strategies for gaining a certain distance from the controversies--enough distance to work and pray? Knowing that a prayer is translated badly makes praying with it more difficult, for example. How does one get past that?

How do parish musicians learn to accept the difference between the real and the ideal, and even learn to pray with the less-than-ideal real?

I have some strategies of my own, especially off-the-job prayer time. I was thinking it might be helpful to share ideas.
  • Without knowing specifics, these thoughts come to my mind:

1) Moving forward takes acceptance, letting go, and the ability to forgive.
    2) Learning to accept differences involves a certain amount of humility and willingness to compromise (or at the very least, agreeing to disagree).
    3) The serenity prayer can be quite helpful when situations become overwhelming emotionally.
    4) Take time to really understand the situation before reacting - things aren't always as they first appear.
    5) Sometimes things you don't like will grow on you. Knowing that can help foster hope.
    6) We all have to take the good with the bad. Focusing more on the good, dwelling less on the bad can help us stay grateful and positive.
    7) Understanding and accepting that we don't live in a perfect world can help maintain perspective.
    8) Advocate and pray for changes, and take success in even the smallest of strides.
    9) Cling to the beatitudes like a baby to its mother's breast.
    10) God is awesome - He delights in our praise (whether translated poorly or not) and knows the intentions of our hearts. Turn to Him in your sorrow, and lay your yoke upon His shoulders, and He will give you rest!

Best wishes in your walk, hope some of this helps. Feel free to take what you can use and forget the rest!
  • When controversies hit, do nothing, say nothing. Try to maintain that posture for the rest of the day. Sleep on it. The next day comes and already 90% of the anxiety and frenzy are gone. Then focus on the margin, the improvements that are possible a bit at a time.

My father said that Church musician should 1) never attempt to "build a program" 2) never enforce attendance with scorn and loathing, and 3) be genuinely grateful for every opportunity to bring beauty to the world. He said that these three rules make it possible to get by and do good work.
  • These are the elements I have found necessary for sanity:

Litany of Humility by Cardinal Merry del Val
    Confession 2-4 times a month
    Constant pursuit of virtues (slow going, unfortunately)
    Not reacting immediately 99% of the time.
    Face time in the office and social ocassions with priests and secretary, etc. so we relate to one another beyond our basic functions.
    Listening to choir members, which for me means 95% of prep is done days and hours before rehearsal so I can listen to early folks or the lingerers.
    Prayer as a group every rehearsal and before every Mass
    Some time carved out every week to explore new chants
    Some time every week (moving toward every day) chanting the psalms
    Working out what is good enough with volunteer choirs while maintaining high standards, which means choosing rep carefully
  • Full disclosure- I work in a parish where the translations are not a problem and where the pastor is involvedmand supportive. These two elements, which are largely beyond our control as sacred musicians, have made an enormous difference.
    While the struggle for authentic reform is deserving, I also recommend seeking out EF jobs for two reasons-
    1- The chance to steep in tradition and the musical challenges of preparing Gregorian propers every week.
    2- The respite from identity problems inherent in many parishes (there will always be other issues, but the Catholic identity/ shared vision of sacred liturgy problem is what plagues musicians more than anything else)
  • francis
    When controversy hits the fan, here are the three rules I use:

1. Keep mouth shut. Pray. Consider what is being expressed. Wait a day.
    2. Keep mouth shut. Pray. Consider what is being expressed. Wait another day.
    3. Keep mouth shut. Pray. Consider what is being expressed. Wait another day. Tomorrow, go to rule number 1.

If you follow this bit of advice, usually the controversy disappears into thin air.
  • Kathy
    Here's another kind of example. Convinced as I am that the Christ Has Died is a terrible substitute for the kind of expression that is meant to occur at that moment of the Mass, it can be distracting to have to say or sing that acclamation, whether or not I've chosen it myself.

Do others ever find that liturgical quibbles distract from the experience of the Mass? If so, how do you handle that?
  • I'm not crazy about the Christ Has Died myself, but it helps to know that in just a few short moments we will burst forth with the Great Amen!
  • Not if Jeffrey Tucker has anything to say about it! "The Amen need not be 'great' but rather just two notes." Amen!
  • Kathy, yes it distracts me, and more so now that I more regularly participate in the EF.
    I just repeat to myself that saintly people and even the pope are wandering through this liturgical maze along with me.
    I don't like our current situation, but I work slowly and doggedly to change it, and to allow Jesus to change stubborn old me.
    And remind myself that the only perfect worship is in heaven.
    I wish I had a better answer for you, but can mostly only empathize.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Kathy-

I know it isn't the best acclamation available, but...

Do you not believe that Christ has actually died, that indeed He is risen, that certainly He will one day come again?
    I mean, for goodness sakes, the words are true, at least.

While being joyfully expectant of a new translation (or whatever other liturgical change you are waiting for), remember that the current practices (when practiced accurately) are, in fact, valid prayers approved by the Church, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. While perhaps not adequately expressing the full truth of the Latin or pre-concilliar originals, old-ICEL is still real liturgy.
  • I too find the memorial acc. to be distracting, and it has nothing to do with the text. It doesn't derail the liturgy like the Sign of Peace does though (We've been here a half hour and still aren't sure if we like each other enough to take the Eucharist together??)

The meaning I'm finding in OF is as penance. Whenever I'm there, I'm confronted with the question, "Do you love God more than music, more than beauty?" It's a chops buster, every time. It's hard not to offer it up in a spirit more like Johnny Paycheck offering up his job. Yet, there's a value in showing up. I was at a weekend musical workshop of about a dozen people, and I told people I'd be late for the Sunday morning session because I was going to Mass. (I'd never done that before.) And a Colombian woman said, "I'm jealous of you." "Why? You can come with me." "I'm jealous because you can believe in something." I didn't get much out of that particular Mass, but going was a witness.