Comment on the Chant Cafe
  • Heath
    This is darn near a month old now, but I found this comment by our own Sam Schmitt to be quite insightful:

"The basic problem I see is lack of knowledge / training in liturgy. By this I do not mean simply a knowledge of liturgical law, as necessary as that may be. That just gives you the do's and don'ts. Even those who have read and studied the documents very often lack any sort of sensibility for the tradition of the church - the "soul" underlying the letter of the law. Liturgical law cannot supply good taste, familiarity with the Catholic tradition, and prayerfulness. I'm talking about the "ethos" of the Catholic liturgy, which cannot be learned from a book. Familiarity with a church where the liturgy is celebrated with a full Catholic spirit - often seen only in monasteries - can be of immense help here.

Take the example of the big rousing hymn to open a mass. This is certainly "allowed" in the rubics, yet is it a *good* choice? I would say no - not just for a legalistic reason (it's last on the list or whatever), but from a consideration of the nature of modern strophic hymns and the nature of the Eucharistic liturgy. The ethos of modern Catholic liturgy is in many ways different than that of a hymn - at least the way a hymns are commonly done and understood today.

I would summarize this difference under the headings "Catholic" and "Protestant" (for lack of better terms). Let me throw out some descriptions: Catholic: contemplative, reflective, indirect, symbolic, interior - the liturgy is Christ's work; Protestant: didactic, proclaimative, explicit, verbal, outgoing - the liturgy is what we do. Obviously these are neither exclusive not exhaustive - it's a matter of emphasis and what is at the "core". The liturgy is (or should be) beautiful without being pretty or precious, simple without being cheap or only adequate, moving without being sentimental, powerful without being overwhelming, symbolic without being arcane, formative without being didactic, personal without being solipsistic, public without being common, other-wordly without being narcissistic, sensual without being self-indulgent.

Now think of the big hymn opening mass as opposed to a Gregorian chant introit. Which is more congruous with a Catholic understanding of the liturgy - what it does, and more to the point, *how* it goes about doing it? I think this is the source of the disconnect we have all felt at certain masses where the music / vestments / architecture etc. just don't match what is really taking place - it does not manifest what is going on in the liturgy. Over-the-top Broadway, casual small talk, and to a lesser extant, a gigantic hymn at the opening, don't "fit." Even such things as microphones chip away at a proper ethos.

Needless to say, recently there has been an emphasis on the more "Protestant" elements I listed, presumably because people thought they were lacking in Catholic worship. The "new liturgical movement" can be seen as an attempt to recover some of these qualities (hence it is often accused of "turning back the clock.")

With so many options, there is little guidance on what is the "better" option - or what is more to the point, what is better about it, how it is in accord with a proper understanding of the ethos of the liturgy. This is why a knowledge and understanding of tradition is so important; it is the "key" that opens the door to the full beauty ad power of the liturgy. "

Original post (don't know how to hyperlink in html, sorry):

http://www.chantcafe.com/2010/10/reality-in-catholic-music-massive.html

Thanks for this, Sam!
  • There is an option that should please everyone - at least musically. The current "Entrance" is a conflation of traditions - the Procession and the Introit. But it's more a mini-procession without a real entrance into the Sanctuary. It is "traveling music", and it stops when the priest has kissed the altar and gone to his seat. So, in practice, you either add a verse to the Introit, and repeat the Antiphon between each verse and G.P., OR you don't sing all the verses of the hymn. What a stupid compromise!

Now, if people really WANTED to be in church on Sundays, and did NOT limit their attention span to less than one hour, you could have a real Procession, stopping outside the Sanctuary, maybe even including versicle/response/collect, and then chanting the Introit as the sacred ministers actually 'enter' the Sanctuary, and incense the altar.

The problem is so obvious: THAT TAKES MORE TIME!!!
  • Amen, Steve!
  • As we included more chanted propers at communion and then the ordinaries, the grand opening choral hymn seemed more and more out of character with the Mass. The prayerfulness at Mass achieved by just using a few chants has by contrast made some of our opening hymns seem rather lusty. Has the character of the gathering hymn caused the noise and talking before Mass? Isn't the rousing hymn more like the overture ofa 17th century theatre piece where the dramatis personae are paraded across the stage and introduced to the audience? Even the celebrant's greetings includes a joke, a comment about the weather followed by a brief sports update.-and of course applause.
    It is this heightened prayerfulness achieved by chant that has prepared the congregation for the function of introits. No prescriptives, rules or studies were needed for us. The Mass, when celebrated prayerfully demands the tone of voice achieved only through the chanted introits. For us the awareness of the purpose and need for the chanted introit is evolving at a healthy pace through experience; and will be more "de facto" rather than prescriptive.
    As a transiton to the introit we have revied many L Deiss' music which still appear in our hymnal. We present them as chant, with a gentle mora to define the incise and we expand the long notes as a pressus. We have intoduced Weber introits on solemnities.
  • Up with Weber!
  • Amen, Ralph.
    We have employed Richard's Simple Choral Introits essentially as preludes for about three years now, and they seem to have ameliorated any random buzz in the nave and helped to heighten "prayerfulness" before the actual entrance. And, as I've mentioned before, singing/chanting the Communio bridges what has evolved as an inordinate amount of time between the fraction and the actual distribution of HC because of having to prepare multitudes of EMHC's (don't go there, no point) to receive and distribute.
    This is only done at one of nine weekend Masses however. And though I'm sure of the positive net gains to progressive solemnity, I've heard through some "back channel" that someone in the pew once remarked that these propers amounted to nothing more than the choir "showing off." And I can count on one hand the number of complaints that I've ever heard about "music" in seventeen years that involve choirs under my direction. But, even if the regard for the singing of propers is received as "showing off" only by one parishioner, one has to consider that one opinion as being symptomatic of a significant disconnect among many PIPs about exactly what is going on at Mass and liturgies. Conversely, every occasion that chant is employed in greater proportion, such as at All Soul's this last Tuesday, we receive many compliments directly. These come from people from all generational subsets. This obviously indicates that chant's function is clearly suited to fulfill its supportive role as the language of worship. Yet, compliments of a few shouldn't be taken as vindication. And even more perplexing, clergy preference and often prejudice away from chant as a congregational vehicle, remains an undertow of divisiveness that festers if unaddressed.
    We must have some prescriptive leadership within the upcoming decade, or our woes will increase.
  • We are singing at the cathedral,where we are permitted to use the introit only as a prelude. On this turf I defer but
    If an entrance Hymn is sung with the introit I would prefer the introit after the hymn as the celebrant
    enters the sanctuary.
  • As such would I,
    were it to fly
    should it reside
    with who decides.
  • we are permitted to use the introit only as a prelude.

As if it's an outcast, only permitted to be sung outside of the liturgy, technically speaking.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Singing the Introit first and then the hymn is so backwards in my view! But if it's the only way to get the Introit heard, then I guess it's better than nothing.
  • francis
    Excellent description of differences between The Sacrifice of the Mass and a Protestant Service. The two have nothing in common.
  • Well, SkirpR, I'll be the first to get the backwards straightened forward when all clergy think like Abp. Slattery. Until then, brick by brick.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Not a criticism of you, Charles, just stating what we all know! :)
  • francis
    SkirpR

Yes... we were doing both until the Pastor finally said, "hey, one or the other... PlEASE!" So, most of the time we sing the hymn, but on high feast days we try to have the choir sing the Introit.
  • Thanks. We all could relish some sympathy once in blue moon.
  • Aaron
    I too, am only allowed to have an introit sung before the entrance hymn. For three years at the principal Sunday liturgy, the choir has sung the proper introit from either Richard Rice's Choral Gradual, Anglican Usage Gradual, or those by Healey Willan.