Choir Growing Pains and the Solesmes Method
  • Deleted.
  • gregpgregp
    Chuck, I think, that first and above all, you are to be congratulated for taking all that on. That's a vocation in the true sense of the word.

Second, my guess would be that your director has also put in a lot of time and effort into training your choir in chant, and feels invested in it. She feels threatened by someone with more knowledge that she has.

You probably know this. You just need someone to tell you you're right.

Finally, I would say - don't push it. If other people in the choir noticed the difference, they will start to ask for you to do more. If they didn't, your studies maybe brought you farther than they are ready to go yet. Be the patient one. It's the right thing to do, as well as the smart thing.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    As a choral conductor, I am fairly convinced there are ways to achieve an accurate chant sound using mostly traditional conducting techniques. There are certainly elements of it that are borrowed from the traditional Solesmes techique, and you must have as a conductor the accurate sound ideal of what you are going after (and a very good legato conducting technique). For a lot of amateur conductors, I suspect simply using chironomy as taught by Mocquereau is just easier, but I'm not sure for a well-formed choral conductor it's necessary to start from scratch. People with more band or orchestra experience - maybe not so much.
  • Deleted
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was saying in my last sentence (fragment) that the connection between the conducting technique of people with mostly band and orchestral exerience would likely be less possible to transfer to conducting chant. My comment was speaking mostly of a well-trained choral conductor who is aware of things like text stress, a true legato vocal line, issues of breath, etc. being able to lead chant accurately and effectively without necessarily using the same conducting "grammar" as Mocquereau specifically advocated. Of course, I'm not saying all those sensibilities aren't developed in the best instrumental conductors, however their conducting "grammar" again, as it were, is not always immediately intelligible singers, and so even if their musical intentions are good, it does not always translate through their gesture.

I suppose while what I use with chant is not Mocquereau per se, it is based on it. First, determine your groups of twos and threes. For melismas, I pretty much stick to the Solesmes method for placing ictus, while for more syllabic chants (or even syllabic phrases of more melismatic chants) I give much more importance to text stress than the melodic accents. I don't always show arsis as a circle to my left (ensemble's right) and thesis as an pulse to my right (ensemble's left), but I think it's always clear when my gesture is indicating building and relaxing energy. (This is a skill one would hope any good choral conductor should have developed for any style of music.) Finally, I have a few peculiarities of interpretation involving the mora vocis and the descending notes of a climacus that seem to be different from Solesmes, but which I find quite musical.

Please don't assume that I'm saying any of this to discourage you from your pursuit! I think what you're doing is great, but please act with charity toward your choir director. It may be more effective and practical for someone with her training to help her learn the "sound" of the chant through recordings, etc., and find her own way to show it, at least as a start. Hopefully, she can adapt her technique to what the chant demands, or realize that she does in fact need to learn a new more Mocquereau-based gesture.
  • Deleted
  • miacoyne
    Chris Ruckdeschel, maybe you can kindly suggest that if she can attend chant workshops? There's is winter Chant Intensive by CMAA (click on the Event in musicasacra Home page.), which may be a great help to her? (Maybe your parish can even help for the tuition, if it's a problem for her, which can also be a big encouragement.)
  • Deleted
  • I would suggest that it might be helpful for you to go to such events and take notes for her and for yourself.
    The contributions of Solesmes did not stop with Dom Moquereau, either. I agree with Skip that much can be done in the way of conducting chant well outside the parameter of chironomy. For many musicians, it is another tool and a valuable starting point, especially for amateurs and those new to chant, but it is not the only component to skillful rendering of chant.
    One idea- you might want to start using the imagery of incense when describing the movement of chant. (This is the same imagery used in the psalms.) Perhaps the director would pick up on this? The raindrop imagery calls to mind separated notes, and not legato neumes.
    Smaller question, just curious- why only men on the propers? Do you sing
    from the loft?
  • Deleted
  • Deleted
  • dad29
    What should I do?

Begin by purchasing a .38 cal. revolver.

Seriously...a couple of things.

First off, 'modern' conducting is (if practiced well) perfectly capable of showing phrases; that's what the non-stick-holding hand is for. But that's a quibble.

It may help to have a couple of decent Chant recordings at hand, to help your conductor understand what you consider to be the ideal toward which your schola is working. And it may help to remind her that her symphony's conductor does NOT "point-beat".

As to non-Solesmes conducting technique: use the phrases for your down/up strokes, and (once the rhythm is established) you can also use two, three, or four phrase gestures. "Show" the choir how to sing the phrases; use both arms. It is probably better to use circular hand/arm strokes across the body for most work (and to establish rhythm) rather than "modern" towards-the-choir stick/hand technique--which is designed for orchestras.

Roger Wagner used to "wind up" his chorale for Chant with two or three small 'beats' of his hand. That established the rhythm and allows for the 'pickup' beat.
  • Modern conducting fails with chant because it is vertical - vertical movements inspire singing metric patterns.

Conducting totally horizontally inspires the flow and forward movement of chant. The lengthening between 2 and 3 in the pattern eliminates note by note strokes which also inspire metric pattern singing.

Since the chant conducting patterns cross in a sideways X pattern that immediately continues the flow rather than calling for an upbeat by rising vertically, all sorts of things that modern patterns tell singers to do don't happen.

Chant can be conducted with modern patterns but chant conducting patterns [chironomy - added!] are easier to follow for singers.
  • Deleted
  • Deleted
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    From reading everyone's opinions of modern conducting, I think my own blurred distinction between chironomy and "modern" conducting comes from the fact I often conduct horizontally in my "modern" four pattern, rather than vertically as I would if I wer conducting a march or something of the like.

I think a truly effective choral conductor will end up conducting a lot of choral repertoire focusing on sideways rather than vertical gesture. Also, I've found that, even with a baton, focusing on the horizontal rather than vertical conducting will help strings play more legato, and the gestures you make correspond to their bow motions. Maybe that's what Mocquereau - who I have heard was trained as a cellist - was really thinking!!!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I think Noel said chant conducting patterns - which means chironomy.

As for your second question - How do the modern conductors reconcile the angular "keeping track of the beat measure by measure" with the rhythmic notion of departure and arrival? - it's hard to describe without visually demonstrating - but it has to do with size of rebound from the beat (which can indeed be shown side to side, and need not be shown with up-down motions, though many people do by habit place all beat upward or downward) - and also the speed with which one accelerates into the next beat.

This control of distance and speed between beats accumulates and dissipates the engergy creating moments of arrival and departure. For a "modern" conductor, with practice, it is possible (even necessary) to develop this technique within standard beat patterns - meaning the beat patterns themselves need not be angular as you described them. Unfortuneately many famous, highly paid conductors, never learn how to do this or realize what an effect it would have on their players/singers.
  • Deleted
  • The real problem is the choir director's lack of interest in expanding her horizons, for whatever reason. It's time for you to do something...move on, sit back and just sing, or sing in a manner that helps others to being feeling the chant the right way. If you were to do this, it might have a good effect on the choir and the conductor will think it is due to her efforts!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I think we both share Mocquereau's philosophy of rhythm - I just happened to learn it from a very talented teacher of modern conducting with no reference to chant whatsoever. I think that a lot of "modern" conductors would do well to experience it, and I think at least some chironomists do the gestures described without understanding the basis of arrival and departure you talk about an truly "willing them to happen" with their gesture. As in modern conducting, just because you move the arms the way you're "supposed to" doesn't mean that it's all going to come out the way it should. There needs to be intent.
  • miacoyne
    A very talented parish music director who handed me over his schola, because he dones't have time and desire to continue the schola, was surprised when I showed him how the singing from the neum notation can be different from stemless-lined up-noteheads, and the chant starts with 'Arsis' instead of from the 'down beat' that he is used to. I think basic Chironomy is a valuable tool for any chanters, whether s/he follows classic Solesmes method or not.

It seems like you already have good books on chant and chironomy, but here is one that you or she might be ineterested in,

The Technique of Gregorian Chironomy by Joseph R. Carroll

Even if a conductor is a very skilled musician, I would think s/he will be interested in expanding his/her knowledge, and Chironomy is one, escpecially if s/he is genuinely interested in chant?
  • Chris, I don't have enough time to comment in depth now, but I will certainly answer your questions asap, likely tomorrow.
    I also serve in an EF parish (FSSP). Today I conduct the third sung Mass in as many days, and my thoughts need to start focusing on the Requiem Mass this evening.
    I will say I don't take your challenges offensively at all, and I look forward to discussing why I think the Solesmes method and chironomy are highly valuable, but not the full fruition of chant interpretaion.
  • incantuincantu
    Its not that it sounds "bad", but it is not right.

I would be very careful about using terms like "right" and "wrong." When it comes to chant, there's plenty that we do not yet understand, and even more that we probably never will. Where exactly did the chant come from? How was it performed before it was written down? While I won't go so far as to say that Mocquereau's theories are wrong, I will say they do not always agree with more recent scholarship in the field of Gregorian semiology. There is a right way and a wrong way to interpret the ictus, the dot, and the episema -- the way the person who put them there says to interpret them (they are not found in the manuscripts). But whether or not to follow ictus theory in the first place? That's a matter of opinion, not of right and wrong.

It does sound like in your situation the Solesmes Method could be a means to the end of keeping the singers together. If you consider the result more beautiful, then that is a valid opinion. But it might not be the opinion of the director. If you have trouble following a director (you can't follow the beat, you're not sure what a gesture means) then that's something you can bring up outside of rehearsal, or on a rare occasion for a specifically troublesome spot, in rehearsal.

But if the issue is that you don't want to follow the director because you think the music should go another way, that's a different story. Perhaps you would be more happy in another choir, or starting one of your own. Otherwise, I think the director should be in charge of deciding how the music will be performed; that's their job. Robert Shaw always used to say "the right note at the wrong time is the wrong note." I often say to my choir "even if you think I'm wrong, if you follow me at least we'll all be wrong together."
  • miacoyne
    To me, the issue of this original post is not on the classic Solesmes vs. other chant interpretation, such as semiology. He mentioned in posts that his director conducts the chant like 'rain drops' and referring modern notation as superior to chant notation for singing chants. It seems there are more serious problems here.

He said,

"kind of like she makes individual little raindrops with her pointer finger following the melodic line,'

"My choir director once told me that modern notation was better than chant notation because "it just is."

Chris, does your schola sing chants from chant notation?
  • Deleted
  • There are, it should be noted, important differences between 'modern' conducting methods. Many are quite different from those of band and orchestra conductors, and each yields an entirely different choral style. Some are more congenial to chant than others. Two examples that come immediately to mind are the Anglican, which stresses a certain flow and nuance, and the Lutheran, which stresses metricallity. Each of these results in a radically different vocal and musical aesthetic. One (I'll leave it to you to determine which) is far more kindly to chant interpretation than the other. This is not meant as a denigrance of one or the other respectable idiom, but as an observation that one is more like unto chant than the other. As for those bandmasters who find themselves directing choirs: I shouldn't want to sing under their direction. Likewise, instrumentalists often go through considerable adjustment when under the direction of choral directors.
  • incantuincantu
    @ Chris R - Perhaps my post didn't effectively communicate my intentions, but I did try to be clear as to what was fact and what was my opinion. And I did hope that my comments would be helpful to your situation.

There are several threads on this forum about the various approaches to chant with ample evidence to support each one, so I'm not going to get into that here. My point is that it doesn't matter whether or not I agree with Mocquereau. To paraphrase Henry Drummond in Inherit the Wind, "Le nombre musical grégorien is a good book, but it's not the only book." What matters is the director's choice to follow the Solesmes Method or not to follow it. The role of the singer is to follow the director. My advice is that if you wish to present new ideas to the director that you proceed with caution as well as a good amount of Christian charity.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Chris, great to see you on here!

Are you implementing Ward at all with your kids? I'm wondering if working the Method of conducting with them might not give more force to your argument about chant. When one hears the difference in their own singing, I think they will take your claim more seriously. How I wish that I could implement the gestures with my older grades! I was so impressed with the difference they made to basic songs like Twinkle Twinkle, up to Arcadelt's Ave Maria. But all this takes time to learn for a choir. I started the old Solesmes chironomy with the Cathedral Chant School about a year and a half ago, and they sing so much more expressively and are so much more unified as a result. (This is not to knock any modern techniques; I simply didn't have a good conducting technique before I started using Solesmes chironomy.)

On a side note, I only have two first graders left in a class of 27 who still can't match pitch -- and I've only been working the Ward Method with them for a quarter. The Ward Method is truly genious. :)
  • Deleted
  • Deleted
  • Deleted
  • Chris, Welcome here, but I should note that incantu is exactly right. It seems to me that your experience of Gregorian chant has been limited to the Solesmes method. How much do you know about other approaches and scholarship on chant? I can vouch that incantu's experience is considerable. I can't for my life understand how you took his message to be uncharitable. It seemed utterly professional and courteous to me. There is a wide world of chant beyond the Solesmes Abbey. The little marks in the chant date only to the 19th century. I'm still puzzled, for example, about where the salicus comes from...
  • Deleted
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    To me, one of the strongest bits of evidence that "the little marks" may have only been a good guess is the fact that in the recent Antiphonale Monasticum I-III (2005-2008) and Antiphonale Romanum II (2009) Solesmes has abandoned them! There's also this quote from Dom Saulnier, the current head of paleography for Solesmes:

"It has become customary to use this term for three signs added by the Solesmes editions to XX century books of chant: the dot, the vertical episema and the horizontal episema. These three signs have been abandoned in our edition for the following reasons. The dot and the vertical episema do not correspond to any traditional information about Gregorian chant. They do not appear in any medieval manuscript and have only been introduced into Solesmes editions in order to promote a rhythmic theory of Gregorian chant (based on the views propounded in Le Nombre Musical Grégorien), which has long since been demonstrated to be obsolete. Moreover, they have shown themselves to be in contradiction with the elementary principles of reading medieval neumes. More precisely, this rhythmic theory, to the extent that it inflicts a rhythmic distortion on the words and phrases that are chanted, appears in contradiction to the elementary principles of liturgical music composition, which must be set fundamentally at the service of the sacred text." Many people are now referring to this approach as the new Solesmes method.

All that being said, I think it the traditional Solesmes method as taught by Mocquereau is helpful to beginners or those without a general sense of the rhythm of chant, as well as a common denominator for people from different scholas/backgrounds coming together to sing chant. I think every serious student of chant should be aware of it and know how it works. It certainly seems better than the "raindrop" method you described your current director using. Saulnier's approach, however, is certainly more freeing to those with good musical instincts and experience listening to and singing chant.

As a side note, I've also seen historically "informed" performanced treat quilismas as dotted-eighth/sixteenth rhythmns, seen the salicus lengthened on notes other than the middle one, etc. I believe none of these is "wrong." Why? The people who advance these alternatives are usually well-intentioned and have historical research to back them up. Chant was performed in varying ways across Europe throughout the middle ages and beyond. Scholars have treatises that describe these performance practices, and I'm sure they vary widely. We obviously don't have recordings going back far enough to be useful. Any attempt to get the "one true way" will be met with dissapointment. If you want to hear what the original Gregorian chant sounded like in the first centuries of the Church, from my (limited) knowledge of ethnomusicology, my guess is it would actually sound more like Hebrew cantillation or the Muslem call to prayer.

This situation - of the interpretation of music - seems difficult for those of us who are very dogmatic about our faith. There is right and wrong about matters of theology for us traditional Catholics. There is also clearly right and wrong when trying to follow rubrical instructions in liturgy. Our mistake is that we assume those guidelines about the use of music carry over to the smallest details of interpretation. The fact of the matter is they do not. Nowhere has the church prescribed with any force of law how to sing a quilisma or where to place the ictus. Le Nombre Musical Grégorien is not that. It is only (for its time) a well-reasoned, very specific guide to creating a standard method of interpretation, and as such it is very useful.
  • mjballoumjballou
    @SkirpR - A well-reasoned statement about diversity of interpretations, the "continuum" of Western chant as it evolved, and our continued efforts, both scholarly and musically, to understand that critical relationship between text and its musical expression. I think I shall save a copy for reference when I have these discussions with other musicians.

@Chris Ruckdeschel - Recommended reading: Western Plainchant by David Hiley, Chant Made Simple by Robert M. Fowells, and Richard L. Crocker's An Introduction to Gregorian Chant.

@Singing Mum - Hope you survived the All Saints/All Souls double-header with your usual aplomb!
  • Deleted
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I'm still puzzled, for example, about where the salicus comes from...

Dear Michael O'connor,

Are you referring to the Solesmes Salicus or the Editio Vaticana Salicus?

The Salicus in the Vatican Edition is EXTREMELY rare.

The "Solesmes" salicus is relatively plentiful, and has a fascinating history.

Regarding the Vaticana Salicus, see PDF Page 35 (PDF page 35) --- "actual page" 31

For info on how to differentiate the Solesmes rhythm from the Editio Vaticana rhythm, please see these video talks.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If you want to hear what the original Gregorian chant sounded like in the first centuries of the Church, from my (limited) knowledge of ethnomusicology, my guess is it would actually sound more like Hebrew cantillation or the Muslem call to prayer.

I was in Scott Turkington's class in Houston this past month. He has an amazing (to me) sense of pitch. Anyway- every now and then he would be scanning through a piece of music quickly outloud (to find his place, or to establish modality in his head, or whatever). When he fast-forwarded through the melismas, it sounded SO MUCH like Muslem and Jewish cantilation, and also a lot more like what I've heard from the Orthodox.
    I often wonder if our entire conception of the sound of Gregorian chant is too influenced by the Western Classical sensibilities of it's reconstructors.
  • DougS
    "I often wonder if our entire conception of the sound of Gregorian chant is too influenced by the Western Classical sensibilities of it's reconstructors."

Yes. Perhaps not "too" influenced, but heavily!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Right- not "too"
    The point is not to recreate some imagined (or even actual) authentic performance practice from the past, but rather to create something holy, sacred, relevant, beautiful, solemn, and universal in our own age.

But to the extent that musical aesthetics are used to understand or develop faith and theology, I wonder if our conception of God, or holiness, or any number of spiritual principles, would be different if the music in our churches sounded more like this:
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/video/10488462/?return_url=/projects/massabki/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-u6UYSjpY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0_vnon5owE&;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOAtTU36qVk&;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSWwVinHQfw

I just wonder.
  • chonakchonak
    Two ideas:

(1) How about watching the CMAA colloquium video together with the music director so that she can see that it is normal for scholas to be conducted?

(2) To meet her argument halfway: the more experience a group has of singing together, the less explicit conducting is needed. The process, though, takes time. Monastic choirs sing together for several services daily, and their membership doesn't fluctuate much, so they develop that corporate experience more profoundly than a parish choir is likely to do.
  • This seems to be a situation that may deteriorate.

There are quite a few EF scholas out there are singing poorly due to people being drafted out of the pews and a lack of understanding by some priests that a musician is like a plant. Transplanting it into a new hole in the ground and walking away almost always means the plant is going to die, since it is out of the environment in which it was able and knew how to seek nourishment, had the exact amount of light needed to grow and also was buried at the exact depth in the ground that it needed to survive.

Stick a classically-trained pianist in a jazz ensemble with a lead sheet and chord names to play from and the pianist in most coses will be out of their element.

As chant becomes popular (did we ever think that phrase would be uttered?) people who are intrigued by it will learn more and realize that things in their schola are not what they might be.

The schola does not need a power struggle. It's her group. Makes me think that the best solution is a meeting with the priest that started this all with an intent to get him to provide the director with the opportunity to attend a chant conference and be exposed. She will have a much better chance of getting on the bandwagon if she is around others in the same situation and not being "challenged" by someone within the group, as well meaning as you obviously are.

[paragraphs courtesy of Kathy]
  • Deleted
  • True respect for JT requires the wearing of the ceremonial ≥•≤.
  • Deleted
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Noel meant the ceremonial bowtie (depicting it thus). (Mr. Tucker is frequently encountered wearing a bowtie.)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I don't understand the symbol at the end.

It's a special neume you only find in Beneventan MSS . . . called the "Bow-Tie-inclinatus" . . . .

(1) How about watching the CMAA colloquium video together with the music director so that she can see that it is normal for scholas to be conducted?

A stroke of genius!!!

watch it here
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, Chris! It's good to see another of our Ward 1 class here on the forum: Angela also posts from time to time.
  • incantuincantu
    Michael, I appreciate your vouching for me. I was beginning to seriously question my judgment!

As far as the salicus goes, I suppose the history is fairly complicated as far as the question of the Vatican vs. Solesmes edition is concerned. But the form in St. Gall and Laon (as found in the GT), as well as in several other manuscripts, is unmistakable. Given that we have access to these manuscripts, the comparatively confusing graphic conventions of the different quadratic notations seem almost moot.

The interpretation of the salicus is complicated by at least two points: 1) it is often used interchangeably with the scandicus and even the quilisma group, and 2) we have no idea (or at least no consensus among scholars) as to the meaning of this neume element or its earliest performance practice. Cardine makes a compelling argument against the classic Solesmes interpretation, using comparative semiology... but he offers no conclusions on the positive interpretation of the sign beyond its implicit indication of the hierarchy of melodic importance.
  • hmm, I just re-read that post linked above and I don't find anything in it with which to disagree. I was pleased to put Mocq's treatise online because the poor man has suffered amazing attacks for so long, his views caricatured and blamed for everything wrong with chant. Reading his book, one finds that he was incredibly learned and subtle. (I now suspect that this heritage of hostility was actually directed at the imperious attitudes of a certain American benefactoress but I won't go there). In any case, I'm really happy to see that this whole debate, which strikes me as nearly pointless, is starting to relax and die down into a more productive environment of mutual learning, and I certainly regret anything I've written that has intensified hostilities. For example, even on this forum, we can see that these discussions are more civil than they used to be. that's great!!

I really like what Dom Dupont has to say about this subject: "The first [stumbling block] is competition between schools of interpretation. Instead of contributing to an improvement in the quality of the chant, this leads in some cases to rivalries or mutual snubbing. Besides the damage that this does to unity -- of which Gregorian chant out to be a sign, as I mentioned earlier--these quarrels end up discrediting Gregorian chant."
  • By the way, and this is not to fuel controversy but only to observe: it surely goes without saying that the dot was not found in the early manuscripts. clearly advanced singers don't need them. People raised without them don't like them. However, the monks put the dots there because people kept missing the need to slow the ends of phrases. I can see the downside that the dots might cause mechanistic renderings, but the downside of not having them is wasting tons of rehearsal time having people add them to their manuscripts. So I don't really see the problem here, unless I'm missing something.