Where to attend Mass in Anaheim
  • conbrio
    Can anyone tell me where to take my family to Mass while visiting Disneyland? I'm traveling with husband and nine children who would be so freaked out if they had to attend Mass at the infamous Cathedral.
    Thanks!
  • conbrio
    ...sorry, that didn't sound very charitable....We're from a small remote town in Canada, so I'm thinking that the "unique" style and structure of the building would be too much for the younger ones. I don't mean to offend, but I've read many articles suggestion that the liturgy is often "unique" there as well, and we are trying to avoid that.
  • It is nice to be able to attend Mass and not have to deal with questions afterwards! "Why'd they....?

And that, of course, is the case for liturgical reform, instead of people making the liturgy what they want, trying instead to making what it could be, to an ideal as presented by Benedict.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You could go to the Cathedral and tell them that it's a Disneyland attraction loosely inspired by Catholic liturgy...
  • Look up the Norbertine priests and give them a call. They have their own beautiful church and service many parishes in the area.

Another idea, close to Dland, is a parish run by the Missionary oblates... the name of the parish is St. Peter Chanel; and they have lots of large families and beautiful Masses.

You'll have plenty of occasion to be freaked out by some people at Disneyland, no need to go to the LA cathedral for that. I speak as a fifth generation Californian living in San Diego. :)
  • St. Mary's by the Sea in Huntington Beach (northern Orange County) is pretty straight-laced with an E.F. option at noon. Unlike the Norbertines, it has the advantage of being mere blocks from the Pacific Ocean.
  • I'm really late in this, but some suggestions, in case you haven't gone yet. For reference, I'm an Orange County native--I have a Disneyland annual pass, grew up in northern OC, and know most of the good parishes in the area.

St. John the Baptist in Costa Mesa, which is staffed by the Norbertines. They have an EF at 12:30.
    Ss. Peter & Paul in Wilmington--also Norbies :)
    St. Mary's by the Sea is nice, very small--right next to the beach, too. The EF is said by...you guessed it...a Norbie. I don't think it's a Norbertine parish, though.
    St. Peter Chanel is about 20-30 min from where Disneyland is, depending on traffic, in Hawaiian Gardens. It's quite orthodox with rock-solid liturgical practices, but their music isn't so great. And I say that as someone who goes there regularly for daily Mass. The priests are excellent and always give great homilies.
    Can't think of too many more off the top of my head. Fortunately for you, the LA cathedral is quite a ways away from Disneyland, so unless you're wanting to make a special trip up, it's not gonna be the most natural choice for Mass.

Good luck! Have fun! (assuming you haven't already gone. In which case...whoops.)
  • Ray
    Our Lady Help of Christians in Garden Grove (now far from Anaheim) has three traditional Masses on Sundays (8:00 am, 10:00 am (With choir), and 12:30 pm. Daily at 8:00 am. Address:9621 Bixby Ave, Garden Grove, CA 92841.

Ray Heinz