"Reform for dummies" for priests w/o musical training?
  • I got the RCIA process going last night (and nobody warned me what a PITA the first 2 wives would be) and I got talking to the priest about music. Now, this church is the lowest-of-the-low, musically, with Haugen-Haas in steady rotation. So I was surprised when Fr. expressed hope that the new translation would lead to better music. He's not happy with the lack of solemnity, he's well aware of V2 on chant, but he "doesn't know music" and is afraid to rock the boat. I thought, "Dude, you're the BOSS", but didn't say anything. Then he asked for my help in changing things...which is a nice idea, except that I'm the new guy and it's really not my place...esp. since I won't be going to Sunday masses for awhile, until it feels right to dump St. James. (He'd also like to celebrate ad orientem, but is afraid that the congregation will be offended if he "turns his back to them" -- he always looks over their heads when doing the prayers. And was amazed that St. James does the eucharist kneeling and on the tongue.)

Now my own plan would be to get them doing the simplest possible Propers (at first in addition to the hymns). But I'm wondering: is there a one-stop source for a plan-of-attack for somebody like this? There's probably something I've read once, here or elsewhere, and I'm lamely asking y'all to be a meatware search engine.
  • [WARNING - this has been reformatted into paragraphs as per instructions of Kathy - when I first posted it I just wasn't thinking.]

I'm in favor of starting by singing chant hymns in English by the choir, in addition to what is already going on, and accompanying them.

Instead of propers, working hard each week to try and get them ready, burn the chant hymns into their brains, each ending on a different note so they get used to the different sounds of the mode. (I am working on a set for a project right now for this reason) Unless the priest wants a full-frontal attack and is willing to man the trenches.

The people already have a couple of chant hymns in english in their book, probably, so they can be programmed. In English. You are changing the style of music. Get a more solemn sound of scales in their ears. If you are using organ (or if they are used to piano some piano) it really will sound to them like just another song that they don't know, a common occurrence in Catholic churches and they may grouse but not as much as if you went latin, unaccompanied, propers, no hymns.

Then go to a Latin Agnus Dei...then Sanctus. Now you have the people engaged, singing the same Latin A and S every week for a long time. Do not fall into the trap of doing latin in advent and lent. During this time you can add propers by the choir - try doing them antiphon English women - verse English men - antiphon English women - verse English men - antiphon LATIN men and women. Do the verses accompanied.

ALMOST FORGOT!

Most important: train everyone in the procession in to Mass on the new music. Including the servers. You and the priest need to make sure that EVERYONE who is on or near the altar, readers and all, are ALL SINGING this new music if they are not otherwise occupied. AND during the procession in and out as well. If they are all singing people will feel more inclined to sing. If they are walking in and out with mouths closed it is real, real easy for people to see this and say, (to themselves) "Forget it. Why should I sing if they aren't." If anyone in the procession refuses to sing, kick them out.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Neat ideas. Makes sense.